REVIEWS: The Aching Hunger, 22 May 2004:  DE OOSTERPOORT

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
merlinlake78

:D :D I absolutly saw the Steve Vai concert that day, And I was totally amazed on how it al came together .. I new Steve studied orchestra stuff ..But I never thought he would write every piece of music , every note that the Metropole played that night .. I sounded Absolutly Amazing and wonderfull .. The evening consisted of 2 parts .. 1 hour with the Orchestra playing pieces Steve had written , And even some reconizable pieces from solo albums , And 5 min. before the break Steve came too the stage and turn the whole orchestra into a giant "sample machine" pointing at the violins section , playing notes and the violins repeated it almost endlesly , and soo with the horn players and the percussion until the orchestra "exploded" into kill the guy with the ball .. Hearing Steve Vai doing that song with the Metropole became a killer version .. and then the 2nd part off the show ... Where his classic songs came around .. Liberty , For the love of god , Answers ... And as big Finale .. The attitde song ..Ans then .. well .. It was over ..A absolute genieus has left the stage..
Soo all I have too say is .. Thank you soo much Steve .. Hope too see ya again ... by the way .. Gouda NL has a great theatre too :D :D .. good bye[/b]
Absent

Hi guys; Here are my pictures of the show in Groeningen [finally found a server, where to put it on] - The Videos of Lotus Feet and Answers will follow tomorrow... and btw, John, you´re right, that this song is another classic vai ballad! :o - really amazing, though the quality of the vid isn´t too amazing :

...listening...

My fav:

:D
:D

jemmy37

Jeroenn wrote:
jemmy37 wrote:@John: I didn't notice any lack of confidence with the drummer. I've seen this guy one other time (the Terry Bozzio + Metropole - concert) and he didn't seem to behaving differently. He was solid enough, I think.
The drummer was sightreading for the most part, which just looks diffrent. When you see a rock concert, the drummer knows the stuff by heart, and just starts banging and gets into his grove, this guy just constantly had his eye on the paper for every little tick.. So he played tight and confident, it's just diffrent to watch a drummer that way.
I guess he wasn't sightreading, but just reading... That is normal for orchestral musicians, even for percussionists. Remember these guys don't rehearse 37 zillion times for a tour, but more like three or four times (and then only during midday) for a series of concerts like these. That sure says something about the skill of these musicians: they don't necessarily have to know the music by heart to make the performance absolutely stellar (which is, by all accounts, what they did).

But I know it is a strange sight if you're not used to it and this drummer was even looking around more than is usual for reading drummers...
zoli
Newcomer

We travelled all the way from Hungary to see the show and it is beyond words to describe it. It's very interesting to compare the atmosphere of this show to the one that was filmed at the Astoria, I guess Steve just has everything that takes to be a musical genius. Thank you for an unforgettable evening.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Budapest with the 3G's.
Peace, Zoli
RickAllen

Hey Absent, those are some great pics. Glad you had a great time.
7string

Wow great pics Absent :D

I get the same feeling when I was there. A good picture tells more than 1000 words....

Carl
7string

Somebody looking for the setlist??

Carl
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

John wrote: Is It Over Yet?
Then there was a short violin melody, after which the strings section played a chord melody, and folks, it had to be the most beautiful, profound and divine thing I've ever heard in my life. I'm serious.
Yes....*now* I know what you mean.. !

Brandos Costumes

I adore that song, and to hear it with the orchestra was really moving. It was also interesting to hear it performed with an electric guitar. The structure was a bit different than on the album.
Steve,

Next show, please PLEASE, I beg you, play this one completely! You jumped exactly right before the part that on the original version just makes me want to jump out of my skin..
(it was still insanly beautiful tho)
Ivar

Funny, the last couple of months this song is one of my most favorite Vai songs. I always call it "gentle waves" because the song seems to go one in small smooth waves. (I'm beginning to think I might have a wave fetisj.. :wink: )

Indeed a beautiful song!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

From the linernotes of the album it says that gentle ways was written in 2 minutes, then performed and recorded in one go during soundcheck.

I don't want to suck up to Vai anymore than I already have in the last week, but this imo is why the dude is a fucking genius. To then see and hear it live with the gentle backing of a 50 piece orchestra is nothing short of pure bliss. Man, I want to hear it again so bad it's not funny anymore.....this is the aching hunger...hungry for more...
Vaihalenfan
Newcomer

7string wrote:Somebody looking for the setlist??

Carl
HI 7string, would you be so kind to write the songs down an post them here????????

Thanks in advance.
Vaihalenfan
Newcomer

Hallo Absent, danke für die tollen Bilder.

Ich glaube, ich habe direkt links hinter Dir in Reihe 3 gesessen.
Ivar

Jeroenn wrote:From the linernotes of the album it says that gentle ways was written in 2 minutes, then performed and recorded in one go during soundcheck.
I've a hard time believing that... :shock:
I don't want to suck up to Vai anymore than I already have in the last week, but this imo is why the dude is a **** genius. To then see and hear it live with the gentle backing of a 50 piece orchestra is nothing short of pure bliss. Man, I want to hear it again so bad it's not funny anymore.....this is the aching hunger...hungry for more...

hehe, I feel your pain, you know, i would pay good money for CD (or better, video) of this night..
Ivar

Vaihalenfan wrote:
HI 7string, would you be so kind to write the songs down an post them here????????

Thanks in advance.
Why don't you do it yourself?
Vaihalenfan
Newcomer

Ivar wrote:
Vaihalenfan wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Why don't you do it yourself?
Unfortunately, I can´t decipher the script. Are you able ???????