Login with a social network:

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show in Riverside, CA, United States?

Please post your reviews here.

vai.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:16 pm 
Newcomer

I don't go to many concerts anymore, but when my best bud told me Vai was doing the entire P&W album, I said absolutely YES! We went ahead and bought the Front Row EVO package. Steve came out to talk to everyone, and was nothing short of a complete gentlemen and was extremely hospitable to everyone. He struck me as such but to see that in person was great. My first question was will he be touring with DLR for an Eat 'em and Smile tour, which he said maybe. They have been talking about it, but schedules are always tough to correlate these days. Sheehan has been touring with Winery Dogs (more on Billy later), but I expect we will see that happen, as I have heard that DLR is on the outs again with the VH boys. So we did the meet and greet, and Steve was incredible. Friendly and open to everyone. After that, he signed stuff for people, and off to soundcheck. Since it was the first "kick off" show in North America, he was working hard at soundcheck to be sure his patches all worked correctly. As we all know, Steve has as amazing array of different tones and sounds. Soundcheck went off well, and we got back in later for the show after dropping off the handout stuff in the car. Tony MacAlpine opened, and it was great to see he is healthy again. Very humble guy, phenomenal musician. He plays keys and guitar at the same time for God's sake! He is an inspiration just from what he went through, and what his abilities are. Very quiet guy, and grateful to be out playing again.....you could see that. Steve hit the stage opening with an intro from the movie Crossroads. It was awesome! I loved him in that movie, and like all guitar players, I worked on learning the Eugene's Trick Bag licks he played in that movie. Although he did not do that per se, he opened with the low growl and intro. From there, it was GAME ON! Steve was absolutely incredible!!! I consider myself a bit of a discerning guitar player, and to see Steve just tear it up, note for note, synchronizing his playing with video from years ago when they made videos for MTV was just unreal. I have to say, I was an 80's guy, and saw many, many tours and bands over the years of that genre, and this stands out as one of the BEST shows I have ever seen. I was fortunate enough to see the Eat 'em and Smile tour as well, and that set the bar for anyone and everyone. This show was Steve at his absolute prime. He was so spot on, animated, fun, friendly.......I don't have enough adjectives to share how much I loved the show. It was so great I told my wife I wanted to take her and my two boys (8 and 12 years old) to see it with me, and have the whole family front row. I may do that if he comes back through the Los Angeles area. It would be totally worth it for my kids to see such an icon as a guitar player, and more importantly, a PERSON like Steve. What a show, without one second of disappointment. I had to hit the head, but didn't want to miss anything. Good thing I stayed for the end, since Billy Sheehan came out to play with Steve, and as expected, he KILLED it! Greatest bass player ever.....period. Only two bad comments......my stupid iPhone was full so limited pics (argh!), and my car had issues and I had to have it towed! Long night, but man, I would do it all over again to see that show. If you are even slightly thinking about going......don't think twice. Absolutely amazing.......I can't say enough about it. Thanks Steve!!! You truely are one of the greatest on and off the stage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:02 am 
Newcomer

Here is Hunnypot's review of the recent show in Riverside, CA - ENJOY!

http://www.hunnypotunlimited.com/hunnypot-does/item/2301-concert-review-photos-steve-vai