Login with a social network:

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am
Posts: 2604
Did you attend this show in Manchester?
Steve and the band loves to read your reviews!

vai.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:28 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:30 am
Posts: 59
I thought it was a great show! I won't spoil it for anyone reading this..

It's cool to hear songs that you'd never normally hear live like 'The Riddle'. The only thing I would have liked is to have heard some stuff from the PAW25th/Modern Primitive and Flex-Able instead of the 'hits'. Personally preferred the SOL tour at the Wolverhampton Civic, but I've never really been a fan of o2 venues - they're always overcrowded, standing, and RIDICULOUSLY hot which kinda subtracted from the show a little IMO. People were dropping like flies! Either that or the octave divider really did take people's heads off :lol:

Please, please, PLEASSEEE don't wait another 3 years to come back to the UK. Oh, and I'm dying for the next Real Illusions record too :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:40 am 
Offline
Newcomer

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:20 am
Posts: 3
The show was amazing.
But a downside:
I was in the middle of the floor and on occasions the sound was pants!
My son figured it was when Colson went mental on the kicks - and everything got very distorted & mushy. It was worst when the harmoniser effects were running.
I think the stage was too small & there was overspill from the mics.
But still, the playing :o


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:34 am 
Offline
Newcomer

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:25 am
Posts: 2
I went to this show in Manchester, it's been a good few years since I last saw little Stevie Vai live and his playing blew me away all over again. Love the band that Steve has, some very talented musicians. The venue was OK, but it did get very hot in there.

Hearing the entire PAW album live was an incredible experience and the show had some really nice surprises, which I won't spoil for people who've yet to see the show.

I hope Steve comes to play in the UK again soon, like next year, coz I don't want to wait as long as i did to see him perform again. Any show of Steve's is a must see. Next time I'd love to do the EVO experience.

:guitar :guitar :guitar


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:21 am
Posts: 190
what a great concert ! It was a great change to hear songs like "I would love to" played live for the first time in years, a joy to hear the whole album to be honest.

apart from the "greatest hits" collection which its clear this tour was, it was great to hear the usual crowd pleasers, Bad horsie (my favourite song !) etc etc. My only critique, but its a small picky one, is the "build me a song" part of a little long, and of course everyone wants to hear your popular songs, not fillers where possible. If you had played Juice. Building the church or similar instead, it would have been a pretty spotless setlist !

I've seen you live around 20 times now, from 80s right up to present day, including 2 x EVO experencies ( 2005 & 2007) at Manchester. Ive loved this little italian stunt guitarist since the being a teenager and I am 46 now ! Don't ever stop my friend, youre the greatest guitarist in the world, bar NONE.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:25 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 am
Posts: 59
trolley wrote:
The show was amazing.
But a downside:
I was in the middle of the floor and on occasions the sound was pants!
My son figured it was when Colson went mental on the kicks - and everything got very distorted & mushy. It was worst when the harmoniser effects were running.
I think the stage was too small & there was overspill from the mics.
But still, the playing :o


The sound was mush where me and my partner stood too. It was a combination of the bass drum and the bass. I've since watched a couple of videos on YouTube from somebody up on the balcony and it sounded much better. You could actually hear the guitar! It was just a bad venue for sound. I won't go to the 02 Ritz again. (Or I'll stand on the balcony!!)

The concert itself was great. The band were amazing as always. Phil Bynoe floored me - especially on Love Secrets. The guy was immense!

Steve was fantastic too. He seems be just having a blast and blowing all our heads off! He seems as comfortable as ever onstage. It seems like performing is what he was born to do.

I think I've read that Steve is coming back to Europe to do a second leg later in the year. Next time I'm taking the misses to the London Palladium. A place more befitting of Mr Vai!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:41 am 
Offline
Newcomer

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:25 am
Posts: 2
SugarNips wrote:

I think I've read that Steve is coming back to Europe to do a second leg later in the year. Next time I'm taking the misses to the London Palladium. A place more befitting of Mr Vai!


I really hope this is true, coz I'll definitely be going to see him live again if it is. In fact I'm already there!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:27 am 
Offline
Newcomer

Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 1
It was a great show, the sound on the balcony was also mushy and very distorted at times.

The one major gripe was how hot it was. I've never experienced heat like it. No AC, no fans, no open doors.

Please dont use the Ritz again. Some one will end up fainting.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:10 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:21 am
Posts: 190
I left at the start of 'build me a song ' , I figured I had seen the big by then, he had played my favourites , ive seen him 15-20 times already, over the years , and I needed to get last tram or pay £20 in a taxi !
Ive stood in Death Valley , the hottest place recorded on planet earth , but I wasnt as hot as I was in the ritz ! It poured off me , like I was stood under a shower . Stinging in my eyes , down my face and t shirt , I was really uncomfortable , by 10.30 Id had enough and went home .

Sadly , many venues like the ritz turn up their heating to full, even on hot days , to sell more beer on the bar , which is their main income . most venues get warm with the lights and amplifiers getting hot etc , But that was ridiculous ! It was exhausting


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:43 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 am
Posts: 59
KeithH wrote:
I left at the start of 'build me a song ' , I figured I had seen the big by then, he had played my favourites , ive seen him 15-20 times already, over the years , and I needed to get last tram or pay £20 in a taxi !
Ive stood in Death Valley , the hottest place recorded on planet earth , but I wasnt as hot as I was in the ritz ! It poured off me , like I was stood under a shower . Stinging in my eyes , down my face and t shirt , I was really uncomfortable , by 10.30 Id had enough and went home .

Sadly , many venues like the ritz turn up their heating to full, even on hot days , to sell more beer on the bar , which is their main income . most venues get warm with the lights and amplifiers getting hot etc , But that was ridiculous ! It was exhausting


I didn't find it that hot - but I had my shorts and t-shirt on! My girlfriend was roasting though!

We left early too - just before the encore. Sunday is a bad night for public transport. I believe they played Taurus Bulba - which is a sickner, because I love that song!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 am
Posts: 59
glynp wrote:
SugarNips wrote:

I think I've read that Steve is coming back to Europe to do a second leg later in the year. Next time I'm taking the misses to the London Palladium. A place more befitting of Mr Vai!


I really hope this is true, coz I'll definitely be going to see him live again if it is. In fact I'm already there!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang


I wish I could remember which interview it was. There's always the chance that I'm 100% wrong!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:00 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:21 am
Posts: 190
SugarNips wrote:
KeithH wrote:
I left at the start of 'build me a song ' , I figured I had seen the big by then, he had played my favourites , ive seen him 15-20 times already, over the years , and I needed to get last tram or pay £20 in a taxi !
Ive stood in Death Valley , the hottest place recorded on planet earth , but I wasnt as hot as I was in the ritz ! It poured off me , like I was stood under a shower . Stinging in my eyes , down my face and t shirt , I was really uncomfortable , by 10.30 Id had enough and went home .

Sadly , many venues like the ritz turn up their heating to full, even on hot days , to sell more beer on the bar , which is their main income . most venues get warm with the lights and amplifiers getting hot etc , But that was ridiculous ! It was exhausting


I didn't find it that hot - but I had my shorts and t-shirt on! My girlfriend was roasting though!

We left early too - just before the encore. Sunday is a bad night for public transport. I believe they played Taurus Bulba - which is a sickner, because I love that song!

Oh , we were all drenched toward the back ! I heard that O2 venues turn the heating up full, to make everyone drink more ,( they make their money from the bar takings ). Everyone around me had wet hair , we were roasting in an oven !
It was a great gig though , albeit a 'greatest hits ' set ive seen before many times. I love to see steve play , however , and any time he's playing manchester I always have and always will go to see him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:11 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 am
Posts: 59
KeithH wrote:
Oh , we were all drenched toward the back ! I heard that O2 venues turn the heating up full, to make everyone drink more ,( they make their money from the bar takings ). Everyone around me had wet hair , we were roasting in an oven !
It was a great gig though , albeit a 'greatest hits ' set ive seen before many times. I love to see steve play , however , and any time he's playing manchester I always have and always will go to see him.


You would have thought they would have made a fair bit form the ticket sales. There were quite a lot of people there, and at £35 a time... I'd be interested to know what the usual 'cut' is for the venue.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:18 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:21 am
Posts: 190
It's pretty common place for venues like this to turn the heating up to sell as much drink as possible .


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group