VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you attending this show at the Enmore Theatre?

Meet up with fellow fans and review the show in this thread.

Jeroen :)
vai.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:38 pm 
Newcomer

First Vai in concert experience will be tonight in Sydney. Long term fan, so I'm real pumped. Hoping he doesn't just do tracks one after the other, cuz would love to see some chat about touring and recording with other famous groups and artists eg G3, Zappa, Whitesnake etc, I'm sure he has some tales to tell which would be great. Also some explanation about the genesisi of songs, or their technical structure etc. Just playing tracks A to Z consecutively with no personal sharing would be a bit empty, huh ?

Hoping it is fricking awesome.

Wayne D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 am 
Newcomer

So as the first one to provide a review, I have to say it was the best live show I've ever seen. It was phenomenal. As a long time fan of Steve's entire catalogue, the outrageous Ultra Zone was a hugely pleasant surprise. Similarly, the acoustic section had some of my favourite songs such as Sisters and Salamanders in the Sun (never in my dreams did I expect to see that live).

Add to that all the best tracks from the new record (Weeping China doll and Gravity Storm were brutally earth-shaking live) and an incredible amount of classics (see; most of Passion and Warfare and the entire Fire Garden Suite), it made for a show that just went from strength to strength and had me sitting on the edge of the seat the whole way through. The highlight for me were the bits where they'd stop and have a laugh, especially when they got the audience members up to help them write a song, amazing!

Then, of course, it closed with For the Love of God, played so well I would have paid entry for it alone. Never fails to give me goosebumps. As a quick aside, I'm glad I brought my ear plugs to cut out the high-volume static (learned my lesson from the terribly loud G3 in Sydney last year...) but on the whole, the volume was MUCH better than that show.

Steve, on the off chance you read this, thank you so much for coming out! As someone who is only 25, I have been waiting 10 years for you to do a solo show out here and you did not disappoint.

I wish you and the band peace, love and good happiness stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 pm 
Newcomer

Ok, been there, did that, and yes "phenomenal" is certainly the word. The first 4-5 songs of that set ere just jaw dropping. The rhythm section just cranks a massive beat for the whole thing to hang off. They make it huge. A couple of small gripes, ie . the keys and second guitar were well down in the mix, which I understand, but they probably deserve a little more. There seemed to be a "torn edge at the top of the midrange" not sure what was behind that but it was a little annoying. A light show that has no lights on the drummer for his solo was a bit weird, also too many lights shining into the crowd, blinding us. And........ was that an unplanned "out of tune or broken" guitar swap for "For The Love of God" that ruined the intro ?

As I said, small gripes, but pale into significance at seeing Steve absolutely shred, bend strings, play it with his teeth, chin, karate chops, arse and elbow I think. Some real stunt guitar and lots of Zappa-esque moments too. An absolute treat. Thanks Steve. Yes, come back.