VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at the Oosterpoort in Groningen?

Post your reviews here :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
Did you attend this show at the Oosterpoort in Groningen?

My husband and I attended both shows at the Oosterpoort.

I will not post a review but a link to a tv reportage about this show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ZcCILKJ04. Some parts are in dutch, sorry for all of you who don't understand it :(

I would like to add some parts of the News published by Steve Vai on June 27th, 2013 regarding “The Still Small Voice” and the after-show which are "illustrated" in this video.
Steve Vai wrote:
Hey Folks,

The 70 piece North Netherland Orchestra (NNO) performances in Holland on May 24th and 25th 2013 were marvelous for me. We premiered a new composition I wrote called “The Still Small Voice”. The whole concept for this piece came to me in a flash. The idea was for me to start the piece on my guitar with a simple 3-note motif that was extracted from “The Middle of Everywhere” and then hold the last note for a full 17 minutes by using the sustainer on my guitar, while the orchestra weaved musical tapestries around it.

Well, after the first night’s performance I did a little meet and greet, actually there were like 400 people there, and the moment I sat on the comfy couch to be interviewed, a very heavily intoxicated woman broke through the guard rope and virtually attacked me. She got about 3 inches, (maybe 1 inch) from my face and while grabbing my collar and shaking my head she screeched at me… “Don’t ever do anything like that again, it was shit, you are better than this orchestra shit, don’t ever do that again, I saw you in Tilburg and you were amazing, why are you doing this shit!!!!!!!!!!!.” etc. etc. Her putrid breath and vile spit spewing into my being! All I could do was yell for help. ahh, that was one perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am 
Newcomer

I've been to the concert. I really liked it, I was fascinated by Steve holding 1 note for the whole piece, while the orchestra was meandering around this note. The Fire Garden Suite was not what I had expected, but to me the balance between the Orchestra and the rock band was not right, so it sounded like the CD with every now and then an audible violin. Maybe it was the place where I sat (4th front row) but I've heard Steve play much more in balance with the orchestra (for example Steve Vai festival 2010).