VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 pm 

Did you attend last night's show at Aula Magna in Lisbon? Please share your experience with us here:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:42 am 
Newcomer

I went, it was awesome, I was just sad I couldn't be there for the Evo Experience(my paycheck came to late) and I couldn't get my Jem signed. But still, I was there, at the front row, enjoying the work of a man that I take as a mentor, both as a guitar player and as a human.
The lights, the sound, and most importantly, the interaction with the band the in it was The Ultra Zone :D

The band is amazing as well, Phillip was so groovy it made me wanna grab that bass, Jeremy kept Aula Magna pounding all night long, Dave had his amazing style, altough his volume was a tad too low sometimes and I do love his playing(love the new PRS, Dave), Deborah was just dazzling(as Steve said, he knows how to pick'em, she got one rose, but she desearved lots more!), and Steve...well, once he gets into Steve Vai mode there's not much to say, the guy goes into trance, and so did the audience.

My girlfriend, Ana, got to help Steve build a song, she did the bass part for Phillip...and then she tortured Steve...with pinky solo...
I got an air acoustic guitar funny face moment with Steve.
Ana got a pick from Steve and one from Dave, I got one from Steve too, but I gave it away to a guy from the audience, he had seen Steve 4 times already since Whitesnake and he did not have one single pick, he desearved it.
It was the most amazing gig I ever was in my life.

To Steve: So you were gonna let Ana plug in your guitar?? :twisted: Wise guy! But it's cool, because you're Steve Vai.
It was her first gig ever, she was sceptical, she only went because I asked her to... but in the end, she sounded like me, mentioning Steve Vai every single day afterwards(now I know how annoying I sound :lol:)
By the way, I got her a Chinchilla as an early Xmas present, she named it Steve, yeah Vai, you are now a Guitar Playing Chinchilla :guitar

If you ever get to read this, I wish you and the familly a merry christmas, and I know you must get this all the time, but, it would be an honor to be able to taught by you, as a guitar player and as a person. Here in Portugal, originality in music isn't very valued, you got tons of fans here, sure, but when someone from here gives it a try, they just get turned down because they are not what "sells"... But my motive is not to make it a buisness, at least, not primarily. I want to learn, enjoy, develop and evolve and contribute to the instrument.
Two years ago I almost wanted to quit the instrument because it just kept getting frustrating and depressing to play here, but there's a catch with the damn guitar, you just can't put it down, it became a part of who I am and how I see the world.
Between a full-time job and college at night(I'm a law student, yep, I'm 21 and naive to the point of thinking there's still justice and fairness in the world) I barelly have time to practice, but, still, I keep at it. Sure I like law, but music is a part of me, there are just no oportunities nor places to learn here(wish we had a Berklee...)

So Steve, if you feel generous one day, you know what my dream would be, to be taught by the man who, in my point of view, brought the instrument to a new era.

I leave you with my respect and a deep thanks for the concert you gave to Lisbon, and the amazing 3 hours that you gave me as a student of your art and knowledge.

In case you wanna check some pics from the gig: https://plus.google.com/photos/105748638353303909697/albums/5821410546435274305?authkey=CLa336Wb0My3kgE

Some pics with my customized Jem70v (Gold hardware, now it has a sustainer and a SD hot rails in the neck too)
https://plus.google.com/photos/10574863 ... vIb7svCOZw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 am 

pedroduartewr wrote:
Deborah was just dazzling(as Steve said, he knows how to pick'em, she got one rose, but she desearved lots more!)

Nice post, I enjoying the reading so much.
Deborah desearved lots more indeed :P Was me who gave her the rose and didn't have the logistic to take a lot more. :D
And the reference oh "he knows how to pick'em" was for me :lol: :lol:
I was siting near you and took two pictures of you before Ana's telling the secret and after, but so far didn't saw in the computer as I've been traveling in Lisbon and just return very recently 8)
As soon as I have them I will send you by P.M.
Glad you had wroten a review, I will gonna give my feedback of the concerts I attend very soon.

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 am 
Newcomer

Seraphim wrote:
pedroduartewr wrote:
Deborah was just dazzling(as Steve said, he knows how to pick'em, she got one rose, but she desearved lots more!)

Nice post, I enjoying the reading so much.
Deborah desearved lots more indeed :P Was me who gave her the rose and didn't have the logistic to take a lot more. :D
And the reference oh "he knows how to pick'em" was for me :lol: :lol:
I was siting near you and took two pictures of you before Ana's telling the secret and after, but so far didn't saw in the computer as I've been traveling in Lisbon and just return very recently 8)
As soon as I have them I will send you by P.M.
Glad you had wroten a review, I will gonna give my feedback of the concerts I attend very soon.

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

Ok, great, thank you so much, lots of folks have been sending me pictures of the concert :D