VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 am 

Did you attend the show at the O2 Apollo in Manchester? Please share your experience with us here:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:21 pm 
Newcomer

I attended this awesome concert. After the show, I waited outside for about an hour, and I finally met Steve.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:53 am 

Yes I attended, an utter orgasm of a show,Steve and the rest of the band give so much to take in, I'm still digesting it mentally, emotionally even now; and probably will forever.

The sound was spectacular, I was lucky enough to be sitting in front of the mixing system so I was getting the same (approximately) mix and stereo field as the sound engineer.

I could probably fill x10 posts in my experience but some highlights for me where the recoveries from little off bits like BTC had a tiny fluff at the beginning followed by a smirk from Steve (does he throw those in deliberately to show us that it's all live?) and trying for a harmonic and then asking the audience one more right ? Then hitting it like a god.

The build me a song was great a lot fun, and Dave little acoustic solo spot was great.

Steve spent a lot of time speaking to us, sharing where the song had come from.

I was gutted that I didn't go for the EVO package as I couldn't stay behind as they lock your car in the car park 25mins after the end of the gig at this venue; in case you where wondering why everyone was so quick to pile out of there Steve, with out that I would have been there till now lol

All in all, a fantastic night, the tickets are very cheap considering what you actually get is 3 hours (or was that really 6? hehe) of mind blowing VAI

If Steve and the band are coming to a town near you, buy a ticket and go.. yes right now!

Looking forward to the next one Steve, thank you so much.

peace
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 am 

4 shows - 1 EVO - 2 after shows all within a week ,
what are trying to do to me Steve ? ..kill me lol.

Evo at Manchester was amazing as ever .Steve was friendly and open as you could ever imagine, just like a old friend or family member..As he put it nothing was off limits.

I passed on a message to Steve from a good friend wich he had a good laugh about he had to explain
to the rest of the group what it was about lol .

met another board member (Gavin) who I met in Holland a few years ago...good to see you again.. stay in touch man.

Soundcheck was awesome ..Steve and the band recorded 'a track' for some new naked tracks :wink:
'EVO' died again during the soundcheck he pulled the trem straight earlier during the week and I think it failed again.
:shock:

3 hours of pure joy .. I seriously think he got better over the week and tonight was no exception ...amazing .

Racing the World
Velorum
Building the Church
Tender Surrender
Gravity Storm
Guitar Solo (Dave Weiner acoustic)
Weeping China Doll
Answers
The Moon and I
The Animal
Whispering a Prayer
The Audience Is Listening
Harp Solo
Rescue Me or Bury Me
(the beast with Jeremy and Steve)
Sisters
Treasure Island
Salamanders in the Sun
Pusa Road
Drum Solo
The Ultra Zone
Frank
Build Me a Song
For the Love of God
Taurus Bulba

poss missed one or 2 but I think that's the full set ..also maybe not in that order lol.

Steve has been on fire this tour so much so that it could be the best ive seen him ..the whole band looked happy and relaxed .
Daves acoustic set was brilliant to see ..great album by the way ...go buy it now :D
Jeremy is powerhouse ,funny and great to chat with as is Dave .
Philip ..Mr cool , Mr bottom end lol great great bad ass bass player.
Deborah the newcomer to the band ... wasn't sure how she would fit in .. But she was the extra finger for the glove.. perfect fit ... sounded and looked great with the band.

all in all I Loved this line up ..saddened my 'tour' was over .

after show had a chat with Dave about bikes ..Jeremy wanted my Yamaha coat lol .
Deborah and Philip thanked everyone for showing up ..and Steve ..well Steve seemed very humbled about it all ..as if no-one would turn out in the freezing cold... he had nothing to worry about there ... full house (again).

BIG thanks to Andy alt .. Sean Kellet (real cool nice guy).. George ,good to meet you at last sorry you didn't get to stay afterwards ...Christine :guitar you rock beyond words ... Gavin, look forward to the CD :wink:

Many thanks to everyone on this tour its been simply amazing .

I had a photo pass so ive got photos ...just cant post any yet but as soon as I can I will .
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:06 am 

Quick as you can with those pics mate !

it would be great to see them

cheers

Keith

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:07 am 

I went to the Evo experience which my partner Lisa paid for as a Christmas present and we both went to the gig later
The whole thing was magical the Evo experience was awesome Steve answered lots of questions and was very warm and open and had time for everyone, we all had photo`s taken and Steve would sign anything that people brought in including some guitars, we also got a nice goody bag. He really is a lovely guy. Watching the soundcheck after was so cool and interesting and once he had warmed his hands up (it was so cold in there early on) they blazed through some tracks and tried all the different guitars including Xavier..not seen that one before. Steve really put the band through their paces as he sat and conducted them through a naked track recording of for the love of God, fascinating to watch
The gig later was sensational, about 3 hours of pure magic, the band were so tight and the addition of the electric harp was beautiful in places
My partner who is a take that fan is now a big Steve Vai fan so she has got good taste (well she must do as she`s with me ha)

A big thank you to all concerned..Steve, the band and the people behind the scenes, it was the best experience of my life,

There was a question or Steve was talking about a writer or some books he read, does anyone know who or what they were ?

I have seen Steve 5 times now and each time its a show not to be missed...SUPERB!!!

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a47 ... dSteve.jpg
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a47 ... 101517.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:02 pm 

Hi Folks ;~)

Well, I saw this gig (as well as the London show), and partook in the EVO afternoon here in Manchester with all of the other fine folks present ;~)

Great to meet Paul once again ;~)... I never connected you in my mind with RIFSR!!!

It was once again a real pleasure and an honour to meet with Mr. Vai and listen to everyone's entertaining questions, and Steve's (even more!) entertaining answers.

Steve is always such a grounded, wise and truly humble guy. When chatting it is often easy to forget that here sits someone with virtuoso compositional and guitar skills that truly transcend the realms of the imaginably possible!! (Does that phrase exist in the Universe?!.... Well.... It does now!!!) We are all creative beings with infinite potential..... But this guy really NAILED his!!

I was a little surprised that Steve remembered me after what must be 5 yrs I guess.... but then I did ask him some pretty off the wall questions last time round!!... I was humbled. (Actually I must just be that goddamm butt ugly!!!LMAO!!)

I had had a question for him.... which actually he answered for me at the London gig by explaining the background to the song 'The moon and I'. So really... after 'meditating' on what to ask... it actually came to me that the far more appropriate undertaking would be to thank him for all of the outrageous, insightful, inspiring and uplifting music he has blessed our ears with (I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could find more adjectives to fit in there!!). You see... I took the 'Steve Vai guitar techniques' course at Berklee when it opened last year. The whole thing from start (actually before it started!!) to finish was one of the most inspiring and liberating experiences I have had with music, the cosmos, ME!!, and life here on Planet Earth (at least this time round :D ), and for this I also wanted to thank him.

My question (oops... I'm rattling on here!!) had been regarding said guitar course. Now.... I need to explain something (else!!) 2 things.
1. I had a pretty tough couple of years starting 4 yrs ago (well... 9yrs ago really... but it got REALLY wild 4 yrs ago!!). My daughter's mother developed serious mental health problems... which kind of destroyed the whole 'family' thing, and I spent 2 years in the courts for our daughter... and more than twice that nurturing my daughter to a state of recovery and understanding. In that time I would spend evenings drifting away in a fantasy that I was playing WILD guitar... effortlessly... and with boundless technique and enthusiasm. I would often be shaking it was so powerful!!... Now I'm pretty good on guitar ... but not THAT good!!!

Fast forward to September 2010... and I'm in the studio... writing MORE music for TV (It's what i 'do'). and I realise I have become pretty uninspired by it... and I feel the urge for something fresh, inspiring and 'new'... So... what do I do?... I calm my mind... get 'into the Vortex' :D :D .... or rather check I'm still in it!! :headbang (as some put it) I look up to the 'Universe'... and I state with unshakable clarity. "Ok... I AM OPEN TO SOME NEW AND MINDBLOWING EXPERIENCE THAT WILL SEND MY INSPIRATION BEYOND THE HEAVENS!!!...BRING IT ON PLEASE!!!" (then I add... 'in whatever way is appropriate in accordance with divine wisdom and the highest good of all'... because I always do!!).... then I go back to the track in hand and forget all about it.

Exactly 3 days later I get an email from Berklee college of music... which is strange because I have never even been to their website... let alone visit the place... In fact.. I've never even been to Boston!!... AND as if that isn't strange enough... the content of said mail is inviting me to sign up for a 'Unique opportunity to study the guitar playing of Steve Vai on a course created and designed by Steve himself!!"... I prompty fall off my chair, remembering my request of a few days ago, look up at the 'Universe'... and say "Well.... you're not beating about the bush here are you!!!!". It's nice when you see the signs that are put in front of you... because I for one usually miss them with spectacular gusto!! (Much to the dismay of those who put them there... tirelessly!!)

So.... I scrape myself off the floor... pace up and down like a mad professor for... ooh... about half a minute... and sign up there and then... after all... who am I to disagree with the universe!!.. especially since they are all jumping for joy at me 'getting' this one!!

Fast forward and the course starts the following January, and during the lessons Steve gradually introduced the students to the concept that... basically... what you think is what you become.... that your thoughts (in particular with regard to any venture, wish or challenge), and more importantly... the emotional quality of those thoughts... shape (create!) the outcome of what ever it is you are trying to achieve, or wishing for!. It made me laugh out loud at the time, given how I'd got there in the first place!! also as this was something I was wholly familiar with from various 'studies' in more esoteric areas that I had undertaken in the past.

It shouldn't have surprised me that here, all of a sudden, when we are all focused on playing guitar, sits Steve and tells us this.... It was awesome, it was instant confirmation that I was in the 'right place' for my inspiration, and it was exceedingly humbling. So, I became intruiged to know where Steve had 'made contact' with this philosophy or 'understanding'. This, of course, he explains in his preamble to the Moon and I.

And of course the magic for me is that I can now play as my fantasies inspired.... and I AM Full of inspiration!!

Oops... I have digressed!!.. Aaaaaaannnnnyyyywwwwaaaaayyyyy!!. It was great to meet Steve again, and if he was sitting here right now, I would thank him for the endless patience and openness that he displays to those around him that enabled me to share some things that relate to the above at the end of the photo session. AND!!! my daughter was completely blown away to have a photo (or 3!!) of her Signed by Mr. Vai, with a 'peach' of a message to her! She has been through a lot... but she is an extremely evolved soul (she needs to be!!) and is always SO kind and loving and nurturing to all those she meets. It was such a gift for her to receive this special picture. You see... when she was 4 yrs old she could sing the WHOLE of Melissa's garden... note for note!! In the solo she would orchestrate with her arms and say... "Daddy... I can see all the butterflies and bees dancing!!"

Back to the gig (Finally!!) Needless to say it was epic. The harp section in whispering was beautifully arranged and even more beautifully performed, Taurus Bulba was an amazing encore... one of my favourite tracks... The whole band were just a supreme vision of musical and energetic harmony, humour, and mastery. And above all, I really sense that Steve has entered that Golden realm of truly unencumbered and freely expressive oneness with his most inner vision of that which he wishes to express through music and the guitar. More than at any other previous time. This is deeply comforting and humbling to experience. Why comforting? Because to see someone achieve such fluid clarity of expression gives hope to the world that in spite of our pain and disarray..... The light still shines with infinite brilliance in our world at the calling of every single inspired thought and creative wish.... for all of us ;~) And why is this so felt by all of us that tune to it?.... Because there is only ever one of us in the room. ;~)

Now if the Universe could just see to it that we get a one off gig with Steve Vai AND Bulent Ersoy.... doing his (erm... her!!) older Ottoman inspired music. THAT would REALLY be wild!!... (in more ways than one I suspect!!!)

http://www.avrupamuzik.com/Sanatcilar/B ... 95/40.aspx

BTW Someone asked me after the evo (was it Bob?) who Steve had mentioned in reference to spiritual teachings etc. here's a couple of links ;~)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

http://www.abraham-hicks.com/lawofattra ... videos.php

BTW... Paul... You will have a copy of my album as soon as it is finished... just starting to mix it now ...which is GREAT!!.. because I get to mess with EVEN MORE STUDIO GEAR!!.... and now you know where some of the inspiration came from!!! YEAH!!!!! Isn't life great!!! :D :headbang :D :guitar :D

Peace.

Gavin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 pm 

Almost forgot....

Peace.

Gavin. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm 

hey Gavin
nice write up ..look forward to the CD m8 8)

George in the background of your photo ...hes looking at EVO thinking I wonder if
run real fast could I make it to the exit !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:29 pm 

Quote:
BIG thanks to Andy alt .. Sean Kellet (real cool nice guy).. George ,good to meet you at last sorry you didn't get to stay afterwards ...Christine you rock beyond words ... Gavin, look forward to the CD

Likewise bro, was great to finally meet ya!

Quote:

Great write-up Gavin! reading it brought back many wonderful memories of that night... also, loving the photo and I apologize deeply for the unintended photo bomb LOL! :)

I can't say enough good things about that gig! was like the best day of 2012 for me, I'm in no position right now to leave a review as I got work tomorrow morning and I gotta hit the hay so I'll leave it for another day when I can barely think nevermind type! however I shall leave these photos right here:

funnily enough that is actually the first time I've ever touched a JEM nevermind the fact it's EVO herself! Need to get one soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:31 am 

Hey George, Great photo's man!! No worries about the 'bomb'!! The more the merrier!! :headbang

Was a great night for sure :D

The Jems are great guitars btw, they are highly strung creatures, they ALL sound very different to one another across the model range, so try before you buy!! and if you play them a lot they need pretty regular servicing... Like any fine lady :D :twisted: :D :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 am 

Hi
I enjoyed the posts and pictures it certainly was a great day, I asked before on my post about Steve mentioning books or a writer it cropped up in one of the questions does anyone know who or what he mentioned as I couldn`t hear that bit very well as I was sat at the end of the front row.

Regards

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 am 

Hi Bob, I have posted links to these authors in my post above yours on this page!!

They were:

Ekhardt Tolle, and Abraham hicks. You may also like 'Conversations with God', by Neale Donald walsch.

Gavin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:55 am 

Thanks Gavin

Were these something that Steve recommends or has read ? My partner has read the power of now a while ago and said it was the most uplifting book and life changing.

Regards

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:17 am 

These were the 2 Authors / people Steve mentioned as being of 'spiritual' or philosophical interest at the EVO. There's a lot out there, but this is a pretty good place to start... and may even be all you really need to help you find what you are looking for :)