VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:03 pm 

Did you attend last night's show at Water Street Music Hall? Please share your experience with us here:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 am 
Newcomer

Sunday night, Rochester NY ... The 500ish Vai fans squeezed into the small, hot and sweaty Waterstreet music hall experienced a rare and special treat as Steve and his band hit the stage. Think old school style here... there were no seats, there was no massive stage; there was the man, his band and his music. Many acts would suffer from being stripped of props and having the crowd literally a foot off the stage; but not them, not that night. from my vantage point 15 feet back of center stage, it was obvious that Steve breathed it in and loved it. Here's a shot of the action:

The band was super tight without being mechanical ... the song selections spanned most of Steve's career, including a short acoustic set that included a fresh take on my personal favorite "Rescue me or bury me". The improv sectrion where the band built a song around the rythmn and vocal melody suggested by an audience member ( a young man in a Fender T-shirt, LOL! ) was stunning. As Steve translated the suggestions into musical direction the intense focus of the band to Steve's leadership was stunning to experience. To watch Steve's face light up when his harpist nailed it and won the crowd over or when his guitarist Dave punched out a jaw droppingly beautiful solo acoustic piece was really special to witness.
Of course, you play an old Hall and things are going to go wrong... the curve balls thrown at Steve in the form of bad electrical, dropping PA's and so on were handled with grace, humor and professionalism. Despite playing in a virtual sauna, Steve brought it for a solid 2+ hours and really demonstrated why he and his remarkable band deserve the accolades they recieve.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm 
Newcomer

:guitar I have been suffering a sever medical issue since 2005 and really have not left my house in the passed 2 years except for doctor visits. My mother and girlfriend took it upon themselves to get me some tickets to the show since they know I am a HUGE Vai fan. The first set was played by Melia which really was so good, that chick can play! I didn't know who they were, but they were freakin' great. The second set played by Beverly McClellan with some awesome blues that seriously got things kicking big time. What a voice, Such control and pitch! And finally when Steve Vai came on, the whole place just lost it and boomed with cheering! I have seen many major bands play before I got sick and this show was by far the best I have ever seen in my life, totally worth the public humiliation and stares. Steve actually even almost pulled up me then my girlfriend to do the create a song session which really blew me away. Had I not been an eye sore to the crowd I totally would have done it, but in the end a kid got to go up and chill with the band which to me was way more rewarding to see anyways. I wish I could have gotten a pick from Vai when the band started to toss things into the crowd but oh well. The show itself was enough for me to carry for a lifetime. Hopefully I get the chance to see him when he comes back if and when he does. THANK YOU STEVE! I WILL NEVER FORGET THE DAY I SAW A LEGEND PLAY UP CLOSE!!! sincerely, the guy with the red skull on his hat!