VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:39 pm 

Did you attend last night's show in Royal Oak? Please share your experience with us here:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:40 am 
Newcomer

Attended the show with my friend (also a fan of Steve) and my 12 year old daughter and her 12 year old girlfriend. My daughter has been a Vai fan since she saw Steve on a G3 video when she was 6. I have been a fan since the Zappa days.

We purchased the Story of Light album as soon as was released and I had copies for all of us along with we picked up concert t-shirts at the show. Really like the album a lot!

The short answer: The show was magnificent! The sound was very, very good, not too loud but we all did wear Sonic’s for protection. This a great venue and was a perfect fit for Steve and the band. Beverly McClellan did a fine job opening up although I would have preferred to hear a bit more of her originals versus cover songs. I was a nice contrast for the overall show though.

Contrast, that was one of the great things about Steve's show this tour. Steve was very versatile and displayed his wealth of knowledge, technique and mastery throughout the entire set. He just seems to get better and better somehow? How does one go higher when you are already at the top? Steve’s answer: release an innovative and creative album such as Story of Light and put together a super band to take it on tour!

Thought McClellan warming things up acoustically was cool and then Steve had some nice sequences during the show to add contrast and variety from the acoustic work (Steve's guitar did sound a bit thin on this but was okay) to some solo's by the band mates to the segway of bringing an audience member up (in this case was two twin boys) to sound out some rudiments and then have Steve orchestrate the band into a song on the fly - very cool and the kids loved it.

As always the band was comprised of top shelf players and the integration, orchestration and performance was excellent:
Great to see Philip Bynoe perform as being a pro-bassist myself I have been a fan of Phil's work for a very long time.
Taking on rhythm and accompany guitar tasks is guitarist Dave Weiner which this was my first time seeing Dave perform and he was great very solid.
Jeremy Colson on percussion was rock-solid with great timing and dynamics was great to see him for the first time.
An great addition was Deborah Henson-Conant on electric harp. Gotta hand it to Steve for adding this dimension to the show and Deborah’s performance was exceptional.

The only negative comment I would make was the few F-bombs that were dropped during the show. My daughter and her pal being 12 year olds have heard this before but being an all –ages show I really did not expect this. Was not excessive but the girls both mentioned it after the show as the only bummer part but wrote it off to Steve being a rock star guitar maniac.

All in all it was great and huge opportunity to see Steve again as I do my best to catch every show I can. Have seen Steve perform many, many times both solo and with other acts.
My daughter was totally into the show and has been studying music for 9 years and guitar for the past two. She now want’s a JEM77 to go with her Strat and Tele – Thanks A lot Steve! :D

Wishing Steve, his family, the band and their families best wishes for this tour which I know will be great and look forward to seeing them again soon!