16 August 2012 Fall Tour - Palladium - St. Petersburg, FL

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
mach1andy

Did you attend tonight's show in St. Petersburg? Please share your experience here:
dkotschessa
Newcomer

Sorry to see that these threads aren't more active - perhaps as the tour picks up, they will be!

Great show in St. Pete!! Amazing, amazing band...The show was put together beautifully with a combination of new stuff, old favorites, antics and variety. It was cool to see the start of the tour while everybody is fresh, yet still getting their act together. I had only downloaded the album a few days before - I find the late release date (was it moved?) a bit regrettable because I would have liked to have been more familiar with the material I was going to hear. So I recognized a few things from the new album, passion and warfare favorites and I think one from Alien Love secrets, and some tracks from Fire Garden. There were a bunch of others I didn't recognize. I'm pretty sure that by Universal Law, Steve is required to play For the Love of God, and as the grand finale it didn't disappoint. Of course, there was an encore - we left midway through to beat parking, but could still hear it long after leaving the building (see note below!) Other highlights included the "light suit," drummer antics, (don't want to spoil anything), and an on-spot created song with the help of audience member David (not me) aka "Crusher." (Who I saw later, reported on Vai's facebook page that it was the best night of his life). Also a delightful conversation between Steve's Guitar and the audience.

Most amazingly to me, is that despite Steve's Guitar God status, he is one of the most genuine, humble, and ego-less performers I have ever seen in person. It was like he was almost surprised that so many people loved him so much. It was an intimate performance and I'm glad I got to see him.

Minor complaint: I might be getting old, (though I'm younger than Vai!) and I haven't been to a "rock concert" (do I sound out of touch?) for a long time - but this show was LOUD. I mean loud loud, like bad loud, like it actually was painful, and people back where I was sitting (up in the balcony) were actually plugging their ears. This diminished our enjoyment of the show somewhat. It was more like a pain we suffered for the privilege of seeing Vai. My wife and I were thinking that perhaps this venue was too small or something. I still have a slight ringing in my ears and I would advise some caution.

But worth it? Hell yeah.

-Dave K
jophes1
Newcomer

This show was terrific. My first time seeing Steve live. Band was in great form and it was obvious they were happy being out and playing in front of people, and there was great energy. I haven't followed Steve's music for very long, so I was interested to see the set lists from Ft Lauderdale and St Pete. I'm 95% sure the set included For the Love of God, Whispering a Prayer, Gravity Storm, The Audience is Listening, Valorum, John The Revelator, Weeping China Doll, Frank, and Tender Surrender. There were quite a few others, including some acoustic work. Band cranked for over 2 hours plus with no break.
Show was great fun and Steve was very comfortable and friendly with audience, even interacting with a fan to create a new song. Steve surely loved playing for us and generously showed us that affection.
Like previous poster, I think sound could have been tweaked a little. We sat 17th Row dead center. I've seen plenty of loud concerts ( a Wishbone Ash show from the '70s left my ears close to bleeding!) The volume was fine for this show, although in my opinion the drums and bass needed to be brought down a few levels, to better hear Steve's crisp and searing playing. Rythym section was so overpowering, that it was hard to make out the BeverlyMcClellans' words on John the Revelator, and she has about the most powerful voice I've every heard. Show was magnificent, Steve's playing superb
kyle am I

lol. i didnt see it here, but i saw a video of Deborahs cable coming out of her harp during her solo. ouch! she looked embarrased :D
tcantafio

Complete Setlist:

01. Racing the World
02. The Audience Is Listening
03. Velorum
04. Building the Church
05. Whispering a Prayer
06. Tender Surrender
07. John the Revelator
08. Book of the Seven Seals
09. Rescue Me or Bury Me (Acoustic)
10. Sisters (Acoustic)
11. Pusa Road>Angel Food (Acoustic)
12. The Ultra Zone
13. Frank
14. The Moon and I
15. Weeping China Doll
16. Gravity Storm
17. For the Love of God
jenarom

Finally! The setlist!

Thanks a lot...
litlgrnman

tcantafio wrote:Complete Setlist:

01. Racing the World
03. Velorum
04. Building the Church
05. Whispering a Prayer
06. Tender Surrender
07. John the Revelator
10. Sisters (Acoustic)
12. The Ultra Zone
13. Frank
14. The Moon and I
15. Weeping China Doll
16. Gravity Storm
17. For the Love of God
Finally! Thanks for sharing! WOW. I can't wait for this. On top of all the new material Frank, Sisters and RMOBM!?!?!

Prezidentman

litlgrnman wrote:
tcantafio wrote:Complete Setlist:

01. Racing the World
03. Velorum
04. Building the Church
05. Whispering a Prayer
06. Tender Surrender
07. John the Revelator
10. Sisters (Acoustic)
12. The Ultra Zone
13. Frank
14. The Moon and I
15. Weeping China Doll
16. Gravity Storm
17. For the Love of God
Finally! Thanks for sharing! WOW. I can't wait for this. On top of all the new material Frank, Sisters and RMOBM!?!?!

Great setlist, indeed! The Moon and I has to be a great song too see live! Frank is a wonderfull addition, I've wanted to see that song performed live forever! Sisters and RMOBM were played on the RI tour, but I was kinda disappointed since they only played about the first 2 minutes of each, doubt it was different this time. Either way, still cool.
Emerald
Newcomer

here is the actual setlist. I managed to get a picture while back stage with Thomas Nordegg
kyle am I

who's girly? Bruno must be the seven string burned swirl for the moon and i.
ocxcxd

kyle am I wrote:who's girly? Bruno must be the seven string burned swirl for the moon and i.
Girly is the Ibanez strat that is "girly" painted. He explains that in the premierguitar video. It's the one with the maple fretboard, without the sustainer.

Bruno would be BuRnt UNiverse, but I don't know what stands for O.