25 September 2011 Masterclass in Harrisburg, PA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
mach1andy

25 September 2011 Masterclass in Harrisburg, PA

#1 Post by mach1andy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Did you attend Steve's Masterclass in Harrisburg, PA at The Perfect 5th Performing Arts Center? Share your experience here.

GreenMeanie

Re: 25 September 2011 Masterclass in Harrisburg, PA

#2 Post by GreenMeanie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 am

My daughter and I attended this Masterclass. It was absolutely amazing! I am not a guitar player, but I could use the words Steve said in my career. The class was very inspirational and therapeutic! It I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone that has the opportunity to attend one of these events should do so. I still feel the positive energy three days later. The night of the class I only got 2 hours of sleep because I couldnt stop hearing Steve's positive advice running through my head. I have had a tough year with my families health and at work waiting for a promotion. I used some of the things Steve said during our board meeting for work on Monday and I was appointed Executive Director of the non profit center I work for that night. So thank you Steve! I hope we will be able to attend another class soon.

Joanne :mrgreen:

johliatay
Newcomer

#3 Post by johliatay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:15 am

What a great experience. I did not know what to expect when I went and truly just bougt tickets to see Steve.
All I can say is that I was blown away. To be in such an intimate setting where yoiu can literally have a conversation with one of your heros is amazing. Steve was so laid back and genuine.
Like Joanne "GreenMeanie" mentioned, he really shared advice you can use through out life and your career. Some of it really made me think and helped me understand how to prioritize my life.
It was great to see the kid get up on stage with him. I have never seen anybody so excited and you could tell he was just soaking it in.
Fantastic experience.
Thanks to Steve for taking the time to spend with all of us there. I know we will all remember it forever.

Samuele

#4 Post by Samuele » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 am

Niice. :) This reminds me of the classes I attended when AGS just started. Really priceless.

Thanks for the stories!

CAPTNCHIP
Newcomer

#5 Post by CAPTNCHIP » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:38 am

Hello, and WOWWWW, what a great session this was, very insperitional, left the center with an all time high, had to pick up my guitar as soon as i got home! Also was thinking of goals that he was discussing and possitive attitudes you must exude to attract like minded people. Then thought of how honored I was that he signed my arm after the class to tattoo later and that i totally forgot my goal of giving Steve my Demo CD (which was right in my left pocket as i was talking to him). Well, just like he discussed about his tour bus burning down, that things have a way of working out, to have a better outcome then what you had originally planned. Well i can only think this will give me a chance to create an even better CD (the demo was just ideas as everything else was lost in hurricane irene), and that I still have the "naked" back stage pass for his next tour thru town so I am sure we'll meet again. I'm very excited. So perhaps I shall reach my goal and persue my next to have Steve add a track to one of my songs :))). But for now I'm very happy, Steves name and logo tattooed to my arm, soon to be posted (it'll be the best one there, I promise you), and still listening to nothing but VAI on my stereo for 40 months now and counting,
I so love your music and hear something new each time I hear it, Finominal!!!!, Pure genious, you are my most favorate musician. From your Biggest Fan, Thank you soooo much, and as always...ENJOY! Walt (captnchip) :guitar :headbang

anderdb
Newcomer

#6 Post by anderdb » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:11 am

Truly inspirational.

I'm from NJ so it was a two hour drive. My girlfriend came along with me for the trip even though she doesn't play guitar. She was joking before we left that she's going to a class by Steve Vai and she doesn't even know how to hold a guitar. Vai talked a lot about setting goals, thinking positively, and avoiding making excuses. Well, she was so inspired by him that the next day she stopped by the local community college and signed up for a sign language course. This is something she has wanted to do for a while but has kept putting off.

As for me, I was inspired to finally attempt to tackle the tapping in Building The Church. I have it up to about 1/4 speed so far but pretty clean so I think I'm off to a good start on this. Also, it's time for me to stop making excuses and start recording some of my own material!

GreenMeanie

#7 Post by GreenMeanie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:00 pm

:mrgreen:
CAPTNCHIP wrote:Hello, and WOWWWW, what a great session this was, very insperitional, left the center with an all time high, had to pick up my guitar as soon as i got home! Also was thinking of goals that he was discussing and possitive attitudes you must exude to attract like minded people. Then thought of how honored I was that he signed my arm after the class to tattoo later and that i totally forgot my goal of giving Steve my Demo CD (which was right in my left pocket as i was talking to him). Well, just like he discussed about his tour bus burning down, that things have a way of working out, to have a better outcome then what you had originally planned. Well i can only think this will give me a chance to create an even better CD (the demo was just ideas as everything else was lost in hurricane irene), and that I still have the "naked" back stage pass for his next tour thru town so I am sure we'll meet again. I'm very excited. So perhaps I shall reach my goal and persue my next to have Steve add a track to one of my songs :))). But for now I'm very happy, Steves name and logo tattooed to my arm, soon to be posted (it'll be the best one there, I promise you), and still listening to nothing but VAI on my stereo for 40 months now and counting,
I so love your music and hear something new each time I hear it, Finominal!!!!, Pure genious, you are my most favorate musician. From your Biggest Fan, Thank you soooo much, and as always...ENJOY! Walt (captnchip) :guitar :headbang
I saw you ask him to sign your arm as we were leaving. Cant wait to see the finished product! :mrgreen:

GreenMeanie

#8 Post by GreenMeanie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

johliatay wrote: It was great to see the kid get up on stage with him. I have never seen anybody so excited and you could tell he was just soaking it in.
Fantastic experience.
We were in the front row right in front of Alex. He was so excited and nervous! We could see him shaking, not that I can blame him! I love when Steve told him to turn the guitar around. :D

johliatay
Newcomer

#9 Post by johliatay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:10 am

And Steve was so paitent with him. It took a lot of courage to go up there and I am sure he was just busting out of his skin.
I loved when Alex was taking pictures. Steve was hilarious when he pulled his phone out too and asked how he liked it.
It has to be hard to take open questions and allow someone up on stage with you. You never know what to expect and Steve was incredible.

CAPTNCHIP
Newcomer

#10 Post by CAPTNCHIP » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you Joanne, having the top part done tonight of his logo, by the original "Jersey Devil"s son. Heh, and I just noticed a crazy, Steve Vai pyramid thing here...I took my daughter too like you, and drove 2 hours from NJ just like johliatay...weird... just goes to show you, like Steve said, positive like minded people attracting each other. Good luck with your recording johliatay, I'm still restoring my studio after the hurricane. Hopefully I can get something to Favored Nations soon. As always, ENJOY, Walt

mach1andy

#11 Post by mach1andy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 am

Aaron Emmanuel posted a detailed review here: http://www.pamusician.net/SteveVaiReview.html Sounds like it was a great class. The guys from Perfect 5th Performing Arts Center are especially cool through emails etc.

Samuele

#12 Post by Samuele » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:16 am

Thank you Andy!!