26 October Experience Hendrix Tour Pittsburgh, PA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
mach1andy

26 October Experience Hendrix Tour Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Post by mach1andy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Did you see Steve's performance in Pittsburgh, PA? Share your experience here!

budt

Re: 26 October Experience Hendrix Tour Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Post by budt » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 am

Yes, I "experienced" it! For the most part, it truly was a heartfelt tribute to Jimi. Janie Hendrix's intro was moving. Likewise the opening set - Billy Cox and Ernie Isley - they lived with Jimi. It's something to appreciate. In fact Mr. Cox is a very warm and friendly dude. He was sitting at the merch table before and after the show. You really get the feeling that he wants to connect a little. It meant a lot to shake the hand of the "Last Gypsy Standing" ... all I was able to say to him was, "this really means a lot to a lot of people". His warm reply: "it's a great show, you're gonna love it". And now, on to the show ...

All of the performers played their asses off! My only complaint is that some of them got screwed by whoever was running the soundboard. Apparently mr. soundguy didn't know that the guitar was the featured instrument. Imagine being lucky enough to see/hear Living Colour and not being able to hear Vernon. Cory Glover made up for this sacrilege by running all through the venue with a wireless mic - even making it up to the balcony! Eric Johnson was next, and about halfway through his set some audience members were yelling "turn your guitar up!". EJ smiled and said, "everything is on 10 up here". And suddenly you could hear him. So we got an amazing "Drifting" and "Are You Experienced?" from him.

Some other highlights: Jonny Lang brought it, with some able assistance from Brad Whitford. Brad can play - as great as Joe Perry in his own way. Kenny Wayne Shepherd's set was stellar - possibly the high point of the show. He concluded with the long version of Voodoo Chile melded together with the Slight Return. People really freaked over this set - and it helped that the sound was superb. Mr. soundguy must be a Kenny Wayne fan.

And as always, great to hear Steve again. I always wanted to know how to play the intro from Jimi's "Waterfall" song [May This Be Love]! Steve nails it, but not only that, the personal touches he brought to Jimi's music were incredibly unique and original. Those that never heard Steve before were treated to a great chordline that they would never hear anywhere else, and of course, Steve's special whammy bar work. It should also be mentioned that the guitars he had made for the occasion are gorgeous. His own hand-painting on them is just as much a tribute to Jimi as his interpretations of Jimi's music. That said, I'm not gonna be painting my Jem any time soon - but I will be playing lotsa Jimi on it. I do anyway, but after this show I'm more inspired to add my own touches to it.

Let me add one more thought about the sound. I realize that being all the way on the side of the theater would affect the sound I heard from the PA and stage. But I noticed something worth thinking about. There were two drum kits set up. Chris Layton's was set up stage center - when he was playing there was a better balance, soundwise. The other kit was far stage right. When this was in use, it seemed to drown out the other instruments. So I didn't get to hear Steve as clearly as I would have liked.

mach1andy

#3 Post by mach1andy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:04 am

The PIttsburgh Post Gazette wrote a nice review of Steve's performance here: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10300/10 ... z13ZUgZJ00

RAI

#4 Post by RAI » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:21 am

"The reason Steve Vai took top billing is that he was dabbling in a kind of sorcery, unleashing wicked sounds you rarely hear from a guitar..."

No sh*t.

:guitar

Seraphim

#5 Post by Seraphim » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 am

budt wrote:...with some able assistance from Brad Whitford. Brad can play - as great as Joe Perry in his own way
Thanks a lot for the great review. As it is impossible to me be able to see any of this concerts, I apreciate all the possible reviews. Also thanks for the link about the Gazette review.
However, and probably of topic, I quoted what you said. I always have been a "fanatic" Aerosmith Live Bootleg album from the '70s and always asked myself, why Joe Perry have been always on spootlight? Listening this album it's possible to feel the diference between both and I liked a lot not only the majesthic Brad solos, but also ALL the rythm guitar that Brad input in the Aerosmith sound.
Thanks for reading this 8)

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

budt

#6 Post by budt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:22 am

RAI wrote:"The reason Steve Vai took top billing is that he was dabbling in a kind of sorcery, unleashing wicked sounds you rarely hear from a guitar..."

No sh*t.

:guitar
I reacted the same way. Scott Mervis (the reviewer) can be a little smug at times. I guess that goes for music reviewers in general! Those of us who want more from music than contemporary sonic wallpaper are used to it. Sort of - stuff like that still bugs me.

budt

#7 Post by budt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 am

Seraphim wrote:Thanks a lot for the great review. As it is impossible to me be able to see any of this concerts, I apreciate all the possible reviews. Also thanks for the link about the Gazette review.
However, and probably of topic, I quoted what you said. I always have been a "fanatic" Aerosmith Live Bootleg album from the '70s and always asked myself, why Joe Perry have been always on spootlight? Listening this album it's possible to feel the diference between both and I liked a lot not only the majesthic Brad solos, but also ALL the rythm guitar that Brad input in the Aerosmith sound.
Thanks for reading this 8)

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:
You're welcome. I've been meaning to get that record (Live Bootleg) for a long time, maybe I will now. I saw Aerosmith's Pittsburgh show in '99 and they were awesome. Could have been the best they ever played, everyone there was stunned. They stopped for just a moment after their first two songs and it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The only sound was someone whispering, "these guys jam!"

bob mac

#8 Post by bob mac » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:39 pm

How long was the show? I,m going Nov. 6th......... :headbang

Polymnie

#9 Post by Polymnie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Yesterday with an orchestra, today on the "Experience Hendrix Tour"

Homo Flex Habilis :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0hBRts9hNI

Reno

#10 Post by Reno » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:56 am

Polymnie wrote:Yesterday with an orchestra, today on the "Experience Hendrix Tour"

Homo Flex Habilis :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0hBRts9hNI

that was awesome! :shock:

mainitz

#11 Post by mainitz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:19 am

experience hendrix live tour album coming soon ? :headbang