"Live In Minneapolis: Where The WIld Things Are" DVD REVIEWS

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jessies Dad
Newcomer

j20056 wrote:I played the BluRay with the stereo PCM mix, and the sound is fine, although I agree not top notch. If I switch back to 5.1 Surround, it's really bad as described above. On "Tender Surrender", the bass is half-a-second delayed, and every note Steve plays has a terrible sort of slap delay in the mid-low frequencies.
What do you suggest I do to check my system? Could it be simply a bad level mix between the various speakers and the woofer? I'll start there and see what happens.
The best way to check your system is play a disc that you know sounds great and compare. I'm not a fan of people saying "your system must have a problem". Mine doesn't, as many other discs are reference quality. This one is not.
cryingwolf
Newcomer

It was a great gig. But in some songs, i couldn feel the real Vai feeling, i don't know, he changed i bit. But the other songs was fenomenal, just amazing and brilliant.
Rudee

I own both a BluRay player and an upconverting DVD player. My naked eye revealed that the BluRay picture is pretty much the same as upconverted DVD for this particular concert film. Overall, I would give the BluRay quality about a 6.5 out of 10. BluRay quality differs and there are good and there are some not so good. If you want an example of a BluRay of excellent picture quality with no artifacts or pixelation, you should check out the Elton 60 - Live at Madison Square Garden. Compare the quality of that BluRay and then compare Where the Wild Things Are BluRay, and you will see the remarkable difference in quality. Hopefully next time Steves team attempts to do a BluRay they will seek professionals who are renowned for exceptional BluRay quality, not that ported DVD to BluRay disk that is apparent in this release. ♠
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Rudee wrote:I own both a BluRay player and an upconverting DVD player. My naked eye revealed that the BluRay picture is pretty much the same as upconverted DVD for this particular concert film. Overall, I would give the BluRay quality about a 6.5 out of 10. BluRay quality differs and there are good and there are some not so good. If you want an example of a BluRay of excellent picture quality with no artifacts or pixelation, you should check out the Elton 60 - Live at Madison Square Garden. Compare the quality of that BluRay and then compare Where the Wild Things Are BluRay, and you will see the remarkable difference in quality. Hopefully next time Steves team attempts to do a BluRay they will seek professionals who are renowned for exceptional BluRay quality, not that ported DVD to BluRay disk that is apparent in this release. ♠
The DVD was not ported to Blu-ray.

It was shot in 720p HD, and downscaled for the regular DVD release.

Mikey
vai.com
mainitz

hey all friends of steve,
I found an basterd on youtube who uploaded the entire DVD.

<snip; we got it, thanks.>

mickey should contact youtube to delete these uploads !
Cynic
Newcomer

I bought the DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it

Still, even though there are some parts that are really awesome, for the most part it left me wanting more. I couldn't put my finger on it but even though everything was played perfectly and everyone on stage seems to have a lot of fun there is something missing.

Now, more or less by accident I played the Astoria DVD after not having seen it for 2 years.
From the first note on it is apparent that where Where The Wild Things Are is a concert registration of some awfully skilled musicians, Astoria is a concert registration of some awfully skilled musicians actually having a lot of fun.

The amount of energy released in Shyboy alone is more than on the entire Where The Wild Things Are dvd.

Some chemistry seems to be missing.
Jeremy Colson seems to be the only one (besides Steve) who really really seems to be just going for it, rather than just playing stuff flawlessly.

/my 2 cts
mainitz

mainitz wrote:hey all friends of steve,
I found an basterd on youtube who uploaded the entire DVD.

<snip; we got it, thanks.>

mickey should contact youtube to delete these uploads !
I´m happy that this account is closed now !
merry christmas !
dg1027
Newcomer

Hi Steve. A sincere thank you for pulling this together! I know it took a tremendous amount of time, effort and money to complete this project, and you should be very proud! The production is excellent along with the sound quality. As always your performance was outstanding and I was glad the camera angles were in the right places at the right times - also some very cool effects.

I also caught an airing of the performance on Palladia (music channel on Dish Network). The content was abbreviated, but I was very excited to see it broadcast, nonetheless.

I've seen you live 4 times in Chicago, and have been fortunate enough to have been part of the EVO experience twice. This will help tie me over until the next record and tour - in addition to my daily iPod sessions! It definitely helps me relive fond memories of my experience hanging with you, Mikey and the band.

Thanks again for thinking of us fans, and continuing to keep us inspired and informed via your Web site, MySpace, Twitter, etc. 8) :guitar 8)
dg1027
Newcomer

Forgot to mention, I bought the CD and DVD. I'm buying the Blu Ray next!!!!
Kyo

Mikey wrote:The DVD was not ported to Blu-ray.

It was shot in 720p HD, and downscaled for the regular DVD release.
Does that mean that the show was recorded at 60fps? Because
that would be the main upside of using 720p instead of 1080i/p.
ocuj

As I said in the other thread: I bought it today at a local music store. I just watched the concert. But I also started to watch it for a second time but with the audio comments of the band members & Mikey.
What can I say? This dvd...it's....awesome at any level.
I'm going through a difficult period in my personal life at this moment but this concert registration has fully loaded me with positive energy.Unbelievable...I call it the VAI-effect.
This was the perfect band for this show. They all really belong there and they all really deliver. Tasteful art work & nice video effects. I'm really happy with all of it!!!
Steve, band, crew: Mission accomplished!!! :D
bluepowder71
Newcomer

So...I'm new here at the forum as a result of getting the DVD a few weeks ago. I'm an old-school Vai fan, but for years I went a different direction and didn't really keep up with Steve's happenings. Bad fan, I know. But watching this DVD...it's hard to put into words what I feel. It's definitely beyond the actual music for me. It's like...being witness to something that honestly I don't think most people would get. I used to sit in the M.I. video library at nights and watch these videos of Steve at the school with his pink pants etc. and even then before anyone knew him, he was doing *jaw-dropping* stunts that even as a guitar player I hadn't considered. And then after all these years to see this DVD...I mean, the guy is just beyond anything I've ever seen! It's like a lesson in 'what's possible'. He's just SOOOO much better a guitar player BY FAR than anyone I have ever seen, and man....I've seen a lot.

I'm rambling, I don't care. That's what I came here for. My mind is fully blown and now y'all have to deal with it. Maybe there's a forum for those of us that went mental over this DVD...

(p.s. In case in wasn't clear....I really liked the DVD, it was swell. :? :lol: :headbang )
SiPhi
Newcomer

The new CD/DVD package is quiet awesome!
I´m not trying to write that much about the stuff myself,
as all has been told here before and I agree in absolutely!
Cheers and Vai On, ehmnn I mean Rock On :headbang
disaxster

I finally got my copy today, watching it right now! :guitar
Red Dragon
Newcomer

http://www.metalsymphony.com/index.php? ... nt&id=1762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;