15 September 2009: DVD Premiere, Egyptian Theatre Hollywood

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

15 September 2009: DVD Premiere, Egyptian Theatre Hollywood

#1 Post by Mikey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Did you attend the premiere screening and charity benefit for Steve's new DVD At the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood?

Please post you reviews here!

Mikey :)
vai.com

emericavox

Re: 15 September 2009: DVD Premiere, Egyptian Theatre Hollywood

#2 Post by emericavox » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:08 am

Wow, what a great day yesterday was at the premiere. I did a lot of waiting but it was worth it in the end =D Steve was very cool from the start (so was everybody, Mikey, Dave, the "glorious" redheads =p). The free food was great and the vibe there was friendly and exciting. I met alot of cool and great people there and i truely had a lot of fun. Being able to see the dvd on the big screen along side steve was such a great honor =D I hope that the charity was able to raise a considerable amount of money from the auction =D (i did my part =D Thanks for the honey steve teehee! =p ) Im looking forward to getting off of working and watching the dvd again tonite=D
Toodles,
-Brian

Zepman
Newcomer

#3 Post by Zepman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:09 am

I haven't visited this board in ages, but my girlfriend & I did go to the event last night, and it was a really wonderful experience! As today is her birthday, and she loves SV as much as I do, I brought along a card for everyone in the band sign for her, which they all did. Except for Jeremy, who couldn't make it to the event, unfortunately. What a great present for her! I was also able to get some of the other great musicians there to sign it, Bruce Kulick, Howard Leese, and Carl Verheyen, plus Cynthia Fox, DJ on KLOS radio, and the young man from the Hollywood Arts program who spoke before the showing about how much it has benefitted him. It really sounds like a great organization. Thanks to Steve and the band for being extremely nice to us both! Also, we bid on, and won, the autographed book from Brian May of Queen.

As for the DVD, all I can say is "Wow!" As Steve told us afterward, what we saw was the Blue Ray, which will be released later in Oct, so it really looked & sounded amazing. We got to see the show twice with that band here in SoCal, so it brought back a lot of great memories of those shows. So many great moments, I'm really looking forward to watching it again when my copy arrives.

Thanks to all involved for a great night!

Edurocka
Newcomer

#4 Post by Edurocka » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:34 pm

EyE

#6 Post by EyE » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Wow!! Must have been a nice and cool event to attend to. Please more reviews! Anyone? Anyone? Say Brent or C or J???? I would be glad to read them! ;)

J (the one who stayed at home.......in Holland :()

thejonesfactor

#7 Post by thejonesfactor » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:40 am

I tried to scrape together the cash to attend. I am laid off right now and despite trying to sell shit off on Craigslist, I wasn't able to muster the needed funds :( . Oh well, maybe next time. Looks like a great time and fun for all. I would be curious how well the auction went. I heard some of the fire garden honey was part of it. Steve, you gotta make that stuff available in the store.

brentm

#8 Post by brentm » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:22 am

What a great night with Steve and company at the Egyptian. First of all, a big Thank You to Steve, Mikey, Dean, Ruta, and everyone else who made this a night to remember. It's amazing to watch and paticipate in such an event and to see how many talented people share Steve's vision and make it their own to make such an event (and DVD) possible.

I don't even know where to start and where to end a review of the night but I had a great time hanging out with friends from the forum, Christin, Niki, & Jeroen.

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

That's my review. If you missed it, don't let it happen again next time.

-Brent

Brakkum

#9 Post by Brakkum » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:15 am

^ holy crap, i must have one of those Wild Things posters!

EyE

#10 Post by EyE » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 am

brentm wrote:What a great night with Steve and company at the Egyptian. First of all, a big Thank You to Steve, Mikey, Dean, Ruta, and everyone else who made this a night to remember. It's amazing to watch and paticipate in such an event and to see how many talented people share Steve's vision and make it their own to make such an event (and DVD) possible.
Musta been an awesome vibe! Thanks Brent! ;)

brentm wrote:I don't even know where to start and where to end a review of the night but I had a great time hanging out with friends from the forum, Christin, Niki, & Jeroen.

They look familair :? lol nice pic guys!!!

brentm wrote:WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

That's my review. If you missed it, don't let it happen again next time.

-Brent

Great review Brent, Thanks!! I can feel the vibe ;)

brentm wrote:Image
Wow!! Cool pic!!

brentm wrote:Image
haha cool pic J!! Nice to see Gregg in it aswell.

teokiatuan

#11 Post by teokiatuan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 am

Mind IDing some of the people in the pictures?
I have no clue except for cnc74 and Lukather.

and cnc74, you look like Michael Schumacher...

Teo

Brakkum

#12 Post by Brakkum » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 am

i'm 99% sure the lady in the middle is Gail Zappa.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by Jeroen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:32 am

Lukather's son, Lukather himself, Gail Zappa, Thomas Nordegg, Nikki, Christin.

Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by Jeroen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 am

Well, the screening was simply extraordinary.

It was all for the Holywood Arts benefit. What these people do is provide a place and material for young adults who are homeless etc to study arts. Music, graphics etc. Steve is on the board of directors. During the introduction there was a student who told his life story and how this oppertunity basically saved him from living on the streets. The founder of Holywood Arts was there as well and talked a bit about it.

After introductions the evening continued with a small animation flick, starring Vai as the guitar and Ann Marie Calhoun as Violin. It's an animated story about a guitar in a music store falling in love with the violin. It's really funny and very clever done. I hope it will be viewable online somewhere, or at least available. It's short though, 5 minutes I think.

Then the DVD, blue ray version started. It's long, but it really goes by fast. Highlights on the DVD for me are:

1. Now we run (because it's really intense)
2. Oooo (because I just love that song)
3. Building the church. (The end improv is pure musical genius).
4 Tender Surrender ( I just love that one as well).
5 Die to live (I love this song so much)
6 Apples in Paradise (A duet of Ann Marie and Alex. This is taking a Vai dvd to a whole set of new levels. The virtuosity of these two violinists is amazing and it fits so well in this show)
7 All About Eve ( this might even be my favorite of the whole dvd.)
8 Actually I really like the whole accoustic set, including Jeremy's drum solo: Angel Food is such an amazing track and Jeremy is such an amazing drummer. Really refreshing drum solo and I just enjoy watching him hitting the living shit out of his kit, beating it to a pulp.
9 The Murder. I have to add this to the list. I think it's unique and entertaining. It certainly represents a lot of time and effort. It looks really cool - although some of the gfx effects look exactly like what they are: plug-in presets. Which is like using factory presets in a well known synthesizer: recognizable to the people who know it. Fincal Cut Pro is an excellent edit suite, but it (and Motion) isn't really up to par yet for special effects the way Adobe After Effects is (imho). And then again AE really starts taking off when you add a few key plugins from the Trapcode plugin sets. ($$$$$). Anyway, to the avarage viewer this isn't noticable, so. And in the end it looks really cool so it's a favorite.
10 Juice (just a cool fun track)
11 Whispering a prayer (the best rendition remains the one on the Astoria for me, but this one is also extremely good)
12 Taurus Bulba (what an amazing track!! And it really showcases the musicianship).
13 FTLOG (it's unique in it's execution. Really refreshingly done with Ann Marie and Alex. However, and I know most people will disagree, I hope that the next release will be FTLOG-less. I realise it's sort of the Steve Vai Anthem, but there's so much more in his catalog :))

In the end the DVD is everything and you more you can expect from Steve Vai. And yet again he managed to raise the bar.
I have to add that the title work, intro graphics, album artwork done by Mikey are an excellent example of what he is capable off. It's pure excellence.

Anyway, back to the evening: it was fun to hang out with a bunch of forum members here.
A very memorable evening, excellent music, cool people :)

The silent auction seemed a huge success so, way to go!

Well done, Steve. Now it's up to you to beat this one. :)

Jeroen

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#15 Post by Mikey » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 am

Jeroen wrote:Lukather's son, Lukather himself, Gail Zappa, Thomas Nordegg, Nikki, Christin.
Nah - that's not Luke's son, that's Matt Resnicoff.

Mikey :)