20 June 2009: Alien Guitar Secrets - Tiel, Holland

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

20 June 2009: Alien Guitar Secrets - Tiel, Holland

#1 Post by Jeroen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Did you attend the Alien Guitar Secrets Master Class in Tiel, Holland?

Please post your review in this thread.

Thanks,

Jeroen
vai.com

mrcreosote
Newcomer

Re: 20 June 2009: Alien Guitar Secrets - Tiel, Holland

#2 Post by mrcreosote » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:16 am

Well first of all, please allow me to set the scene for you (since, for me at least, this was an important part of the story). On Saturday morning I was feeling down - despite the fact that I was going to the Alien Guitar Secrets masterclass (which I had booked as soon as it became available), some problems in my personal life were crowding my thoughts and so I was not myself as I grabbed my guitar, camera and Jemini pedal and began the drive across to Tiel.

Due to the roads being pretty clear, I got there at about 12.30pm, which meant that I had to stand around outside for over an hour and a half. A large group of people were gathered, most chatting and some playing guitars, while we all waited patiently to be let in. I began to regret the fact that I'm not the most organised of people as everyone around began to pull out drinks and food from their bags.

But, at last, after a slight delay (Steve had literally just flown in from Spain and was understandably a tad tired) we were allowed to filter in. Only minor criticism I have of the security was that no one actually checked my ticket against my proof of identity; maybe because things were running a bit late and it would have held everything up even more but it meant anyone could have walked in with my ticket...

Being there quite early, I was near the front door when it opened and - ignoring the lure of the Vai memorabilia - I went straight to the hall and was lucky enough to get sat down in the second row from the front with a perfect view of the stage.

Steve came out to plenty of applause and proceeded to tear into the Crying Machine. Sitting there, only fifteen feet from Steve, while he played was a brilliant experience. Previously I'd been at the front of the stage at Donnington 1990 (when he was playing with Whitesnake) but I was nowhere near as close as this. My mood lifted - impossible for it not to.

Then Steve got started and I won't go into full details of everything that he covered (I don't want to spoil it for people who go to one - although I'm certain it is like the paintwork on a Jem; never the same twice!) but he talked about setting goals, the use of visualisation, meditation, dedication, controlling your thoughts and positive thinking.

Now, obviously (I'm guessing) for most people in the room this was all about the guitar but, for me, this initial section of information really inspired me in - well, pretty much all areas of my life. I'm not a great guitar player (I have to put in so much effort to wring anything musical out of my guitar!) but hearing Steve talk about all of these different aspects of the mental side of achieving made me realise that I needed to fully realise the gifts that I do have.

And. since my principal gift is in writing, it felt like some kind of divine sign when Steve (in passing) mentioned a brilliant writer friend whose gift surely wasn't guitar.

To be honest, I found analogies within what Steve was saying for any activity that you love and wish to develop. Almost all of the examples he used with guitar - to strive for perfection, to be consistent in your habits, to devote time - can be applied (and indeed were applied by him) to other activities. And so this section gave me some really good ideas on what I can do to improve my guitar playing in a structured disciplined way - but also just put a huge smile on my face. Steve talked guitar, but it resonated with me on a whole other level.

On a side note, I found the Grammys anecdote brilliant!

The talk session ended all too soon (but overran its schedule considerably!) and the time for the jam session arrived. My ticket didn't come up but the guitarists who did get to go up on stage put on a good show and Steve did his best to put them all at ease and helped showcase their abilities.

With the jam session over, it was time for the meet and greet session. A huge queue stretching around the hall began to develop so I went to have a look at the gift shop - only to then curse the fact I'd brought my card but not any cash as they couldn't take cards - so I had to simply stare at the Naked Tracks lustfully :)

I returned to the queue to find myself right near the back and then spent half an hour or so inching my way towards where Steve was signing guitars, CDs and having photos taken. I'd brought my Jemini pedal to be signed but I left the guitar as I'd only brought it along in case I got a chance to jam.

Finally, I reached Steve and he signed my pedal and I passed my (fairly antique) digital camera so that a photo could be taken of us. The camera turned itself off. So I took it back, turned it back on again and passed it back. Smiled. Steve (to his credit) was still smiling. The batteries compartment fell out and the camera turned itself off again. I tried to turn it back on and it sat there, seemingly dead to world. I apologised to Steve and stepped to one side to let the next person have their turn.

Ok, hit the switch and the camera is definitely on. Move back in for photo opportunity. Steve has flown in from Madrid, spent three and a half hours talking and playing and another hour signing things and talking to people. He must be absolutely knackered. The bloody camera turns itself off again. Fortunately, someone standing nearby offers to take a picture with their camera and email it to me. Only their camera won't work. We try once. Twice. I am now laughing at the absurdity of the situation (and feeling sorry for Steve for having to put up with me!) and the camera finally goes off. So, Steve - if you read this - REALLY sorry!

But, equally, if you do read this - I want you to know that yesterday had a profound effect on me and that while, to this point in my life, I'd always enjoyed you as a guitar player I didn't realise that I'd find you such an inspirational figure. I came out of Alien Guitar Secrets determined to effect change in lots of areas of my life; buzzing with positive energy and ready to do things right (and not just with my picking technique!). Personally, I can't thank you enough.

jemgirl

#3 Post by jemgirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:33 am

yup i was there too.

like mrcreosote,i was in the second row in the middle.
And folks,i`m still impressed.
For those who want to play guitar in a serious way..i say go to a masterclass!!
you can learn a lot from steve..how to focus on youre goal....how to use youre inner-ear
how to concentrate on the beat of the song you play along with..(get youreself locked in that beat..steve say`s).

like i said..i`m deeply impressed...

thnx for the masterclass steve...and btw..what a sence of humor you have.

now......i`m gonna play my guitar.

love and peace :guitar

patricia

bennyvx78

#4 Post by bennyvx78 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Im going too stop calling my self a steve vai fan from now on.
This sucks man, I totally forgot 'bout the masterclass, Because im busy
with relocating to another house. But from what I've heard the class must
be a big succes. The next time he comes around, Please give me call.
Good too hear you guys had a good time.

HeBoMan

#5 Post by HeBoMan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm

It was a fantastic experience!
Steve is such an inspiring lecturer! He can speak as well as playing those darn six strings!

And also I was in the second row....

John, thank you so much for all your efforts to make this come true!

Cheers,
Henk

EyE

#6 Post by EyE » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:36 am

Thanks man :oops:

But the same goed for Jeroen, Patrick and Will. Without them this couldn't have happend. So give them a very big hand!

bennyvx78

#7 Post by bennyvx78 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:11 am

- Benny gives a very BIG hand - Good work you guys.

Kjeld
Newcomer

#8 Post by Kjeld » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 am

It was truly inspiring and finally when shaking Mr. Vai's hand I think I said: 'hmbmlmumblesfsdblah'. Which of course, was very meaningful.

Another thing: when I was standing at the merchandise section after the show, Vai's guitar tech came running and said to the merchandise people something like '..they took the...[thingie]...it was standing right there on stage next to Steve. The security guys let it pass...'.

I was a little worried, dit somebody steal something? Does anyone know? That would be outrageous wouldn't it.

petracci
Newcomer

#9 Post by petracci » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:48 am

Not sure, but during the Muzikaza session, Steve mentioned that people took a bag with 300(?) copies of the Naked Track box and 5000 euro of cash...

The guy sitting next to him (the roadie?) looked depressed...

Kjeld
Newcomer

#10 Post by Kjeld » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:14 am

Not sure, but during the Muzikaza session, Steve mentioned that people took a bag with 300(?) copies of the Naked Track box and 5000 euro of cash...

The guy sitting next to him (the roadie?) looked depressed...
Well that missing bag must have been what the guy was talking about in Tiel. Wow. :shock:

petracci
Newcomer

#11 Post by petracci » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:17 am

Yes, can you believe it :(

Steve travels all the way to Holland to share his insights with his fans and then some %#!bag decides to steal Steve's belongings...

Unfortunately, this also meant that we could not buy the Naked Tracks box set at the master class, but that is a minor issue. So keep an eye open for someone selling these boxes through unauthorized channels (e.g. Marktplaats). :evil:

Anyway, the master class was no less impressive because of this incident. Truely, it was a magical moment and a privilege to hear Steve talk about his ideas in such an intimate setting. Seeing and hearing him rip through some of his songs at only 5 meters away didn't hurt either 8)

Regards,

Petracci

eledance

#12 Post by eledance » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:34 am

EyE wrote:Thanks man :oops:

But the same goed for Jeroen, Patrick and Will. Without them this couldn't have happend. So give them a very big hand!
You forgot you're wife Nila (sukkel) :wink:

Anyway you all did a great job there in Tiel, actualy this was the 7'th time (legendary há) I got the chance to meet Steve in person and he keeps surprising me.
This is where it's all about, be there if you heve the chance!
even if you're not a guitarplayer it's more than worth it, experience for a lifetime.
It wouldn't surprise me if he has plans for writing a book one of these days.

And thanx for this day, it's allways great to meet other fans, even if you have to wait for an hour or and a half, we've got something on common that's for shure :guitar

bennyvx78

#13 Post by bennyvx78 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:51 pm

I don't, I wasn't even there. I feel like .... for missing this once on a lifetime oppurtinity.

Kjeld
Newcomer

#14 Post by Kjeld » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

I don't, I wasn't even there. I feel like .... for missing this once on a lifetime oppurtinity.
:? Anything of this magnitude (and costing 120 euros) I put in my agenda... :idea:

bennyvx78

#15 Post by bennyvx78 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:53 am

or maybe tatoo it on my forehead ;) ...But where getting offtopic here.
please continue