REVIEWS: 07 November: MONTREAL, PQ

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
RickAllen

Viathan, my seat was floor G38-40, there were three of us.
Viathan
Newcomer

ok, so you where not back of me...but these guys are from NB too...great concert! But for the sound...one of the poorest i've ever heard. The 2 greatest onstage performers I've seen to making an happening where Ozzy and Fish.
NatasataN

Ok.... I'm still hyped out about last night and I dont know where to start.... so I'll start from the begining ;)

I read alot of bad stuff about Malmsteen being too show off on stage and all but I loved it, he's very entertaining and fun to watch. This guy is on pure ADRENALINE when on stage. But I really was looking forward for Far beyond the sun as it's one of the only songs I really like from him, and like Poptee said in an earlyer post... he didnt play the best parts, he rather spin his guitar or throw it in the air :evil: but besides that he was amazing and funny. I'm not the kind of guy that gets goose bumbs from hearing a guy shred, but he still managed to give me some lol.

Now, Mr Steve Himself... it was my second time seeing him live. The lights were still on when he walked on stage heading to his chair and his 3 neck guitar. He just looked so glorious to me, and people went nuts the second they seen him (including me). Unfortunatly I didnt really dig the 1st song either, but all the rest of his set was just AMAZING to me. Billy Sheehan really was great to hear and watch too, 1st time I ever see him live and man I didnt know he could play bass like that, HE ROCKS HARD!!! And he sure can move too ;) And Jeremy... I was afraid about Steve changing drummer, but after last night, I can tell you that I'm really impressed by his performance, he's so tight!!! I just cant wait to hear him on the new album. Now back to the show, I cant really tell wich song I liked the most as I loved all his set, great setlist and I must admit that whispering a prayer was just jaw droping. I also read about the early shows from the tour where people couldent hear Steve, well this wasent the case last night, you could hear him extremely well all along :lol: His sound was amazing too, he really had the "Vai" sound and man does he ever like playing with his sustainer, it was funny to see peoples reactions as I assume that mostly only big fans know that he uses it and people around me were like "how the hell does he play with feedback like that!?" :twisted: The only problem about his set was that it seemed to have lasted 5 minutes to me :( it all went too fast as I was so absorbed by the show.

And now Satriani, I'm not as much into Satch as I am into Vai because of his mellowness. But dont get me wrong here, I am still a big fan of his just not as much as Steve. I can tell you that he wasent too mellow to my ears last night. He also mooved more then I thought, but we all know that hes not there to do flips in the air while pulling out arpeggios and throwing a pik in the same time. He was playing very well and his sound was amazing too, it was mt 1st time seeing Satriani live and was very impressed by his performance. I loved every minute of it too. He also still has that crazy crisp tone even if is with a new line of amps. The drums sounded damn amazing too :twisted:

The final jam was just too crazy, I couldent belive it, the Bell centre was getting it's butt rocked so damn hard it was unbelivable!!! It was also fun to be able to compare each master's sounds, the difference was very obvious, could really tell who's playing even with my eyes closed, but i would of never closed my eyes on that lol. No offence to Malmsteen, but he didnt really fit in that jam even if he was great to open, I dunno, all he seems to be able to do is shred scales, and to me it didnt really suit the songs. I read in some other town's reviews about people saying that Steve looked arrogant and not really like Malmsteen, but I was far about feeling that, they really were having fun up there together, throwing piks at each other and slaping them in the crowd and all. There was alot of respect about each other on that stage.

All in all, about the show, it's true that the vocals (all 3 G's) were very poor, but I couldent really care less about that, I was there for the music itself. But the sound was extremely loud, making the overall sound not too clear, but really wasent that bad, I wouldent of mind having it a bit lower but clearer. Thats the only bad thing I can say about the show, besides that it was PERFECT!!!

But that's not all folks, Mr Vai's kick ass team got me 3 aftershow passes!!! :twisted: I went with my mom and a good friend of mine (my mom is really into Vai :wink: ) I had my guitar's backplate on me and my guitar in the car in case I could bring it in to get it signed by Vai and satch but I never went out to get it as I was scared to miss them, and damn I would of had plenty of time to get it but I'll live with it. So we went to that section where we all had to go. Then they brought us trough some really private halls and into a litle room (felt like we were going on a top secret mission lol). I'd say we were about 50 with aftershow passes, I was expecting more, so that was cool. So we just waited a litle, and like 5 minutes later, Joe Satriani just appeared out of nowhere, I just turned around and he was right there, I was freaking out, but I surprised myself as I wasent even nervous?! Excited like a kid going to see santa tho! lol Satch was the coolest in my opinion, you can really tell he loves his fans and takes the time to talk a litle with everyone that comes to see him, and I also noticed that he asked everyone that took a picture with him "did you get it good?" He really is human and a nice person, he signed my backplate and my ticket and told me I had a cool mom lol. I shook his hand, got a pic with him and told him that he put up a great show. And Malmsteen... I think I should of sticked to his live performance and never see this guy in person, he is the total opposite of Satriani, hes really a bigshot with an "I am a rock star" attitude and left early saying "ok thats it for me, I'm out of here, I'm tired" I can understand that, but he would of lasted longer if he had a litle less beer I think.... But before he left, I was waiting to get his autograph on my ticket (dont touch my plate!!) and I turn around and see Billy Sheehan that just walked in, so to hell Malmsteen I'm going to see Billy, I was like the 1st to go see him and hes so cool, I just went up to him and said... "Billy?" he smiled and shook my hand and started talking to me a bit, took a picture with him too. So Vai isnt there yet, so I go back in line to get Malmsteen autograph on my ticket, but then i turn around again and I see Jeremy Colsun just leaning on a wally really chill, and no one seems to know ho he is, so once again, I rather see him then Malmsteen so I went to talk to him, he signed my ticket and we talked a litle since hes more available then the others in this room. We talked about the new album and he was saying that they got alot of good stuff down already and the recording was going pretty fast (when not on tour of course). He looks alot younger in person then on pictures too hehe. I thought he was a really nice guy, simple and human like Satch. My mom even asked me if he was one of my friends lol, I'm like eummmm I wish!!! He's Steve's drummer lol. So I shake his hand and go back to get my damn ticket signed by Malmsteen and guess what? I turn around again and AHHHHH!!!!!!! Mr Vai is standing 10 feet from me!!!! Yup I left the line to see Vai, but he's really in demand and dosent have much time for all of us and thats really understandable, so I only got him to sign my plate quickly, didnt want to bother him too much and I forgot to ask him to sign my ticket also lol DOH!!! At least I got my plate signed 8) So Malmsteen left in between and I never got his autograph... ohh well, not like I really mind.

Brewtal_Licks... I was right beside you when you gave Steve your cd and he was telling you that you should send it to Favored Nations instead and all that, I dont think you should feel bad about it, he just didnt understand that it was more of a "gift" then anything else, but I also understand why you werent able to explain it to him from being so hyped of standing in front of (can I use the word GOD for him?) Himself.

And something very important I must mention, is a huge THANK YOU to mod777 and all the Vai team for making this night... "a night that WE will never forget". It was just unbelivable... thank you, thank you and thanks again!!!

I'll post my pictures in the G3 Picture topic.

And sorry for such a huge post, I dont seem able to make small ones lol.

Seb
Brewtal_Licks

NatasataN wrote: Brewtal_Licks... I was right beside you when you gave Steve your cd and he was telling you that you should send it to Favored Nations instead and all that, I dont think you should feel bad about it, he just didnt understand that it was more of a "gift" then anything else, but I also understand why you werent able to explain it to him from being so hyped of standing in front of (can I use the word GOD for him?) Himself.

Seb
That reassures me man, I felt like a germ! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, and I do remember you being there.

cheers! :arrow:
Brewtal_Licks

RickAllen wrote: I will say I was there when the guy asked Joe for a kiss. That was funny, Joe didn't go for it though. More tomorrow.
8)
Yan
Newcomer

Poptee,

I agree 100% with what you say. Don't get me wrong, everybody is entiteled to comment on the performance based on its taste ... its a free-speech world isn't it. I was just trying to point out that in some cases certain people have crossed the narrow line between "critique" and "exagerated bashing". Positive critique is helpfull to musicians but I undue bashing hurts the individual, his reputation and, in the case of artists, their bread & butter. Have fun !

Note 1: seems like people really enjoyed this show just looking at comments!

Note 2: Guys. I haven't picked up my guitar to play ever since the show. Think I'll be a month before I have the humility & courage to play again.
keeko23
Newcomer

I am 43 years old and have been a guitar player for almost 30 years and I have never seen 1 of them live let alone all 3 of them on stage at the same time. On record, my fave is Satch followed by Vai and barely Malmsteen. And while the show did very little to make me change the way I feel about Yngwie, I was blown away by Steve's performance. Hardly ever repeated a lick. Seemed like he spent the night inventing new ones. From the moment he came on solo with an Ibanez Triple Neck guitar to the opening licks to Jimi's "Little Wing" he was terrific and the crowd just loved him.. Joe was very good as well but his band was uninspiring. His bass player and rhythm guitar player looked like they just left Molly Hatchett to join his band. Steve shows up with Tony Macalpine and Billy Sheehan, fantastic!
I was hoping when all guitarists joined the stage at the end Tony M. would have joined in. That would have been just great Steve. Invite him in next time or do we need to ask Joe?
Zaskar
Newcomer

First of all, I m peruvian (Southamerica) and I recently moved to Canada..man I couldn't believe when a G3 concert was announced...and with 3 of my guitar legends!! I went to the concert cause I love Joe's music, however after buying the G3 CD (Joe, Steve, Eric) I was really impressed by Steve's sound, so going to this concert would be something to keep on mind.

Yngwie...well I really love his music, I liked his show but he should have played more complete songs, not only part of his songs and then doing fast solos. We all know that he is fast, just more complete songs. It was like having a candy that you like but can't eat it all!

Steve: there are no word to describe that performance!!! Absolutely out of this world. The best sound of the night, best band and best set of songs. When he played Whispering a Prayer... oh man, the whole Bell Centre was breathing, living,feeling and levitating with this song. This version was the best one I have ever heard from this song, I whish it was recorded or later on it can be released....I would say that it was like touching souls!
Definitely, Steve should have played some more songs, his set was so perfect and virtuosity-played that the time just seemed to be short for him.

Joe: nice sound and performance, but he could have played other set of songs...he has a lot of songs that are better than the ones that he played. As I said, Im Joe's fan, but sorry Joe....Steve really beated you that night!

The jam was cool, but at the end it got unnecesarily loud.

What can I say, one of my dreams came true that night....and thanks to Steve that night....I can keep on dreaming! GRACIAS MAESTRO!

Roberto

Pd: the next G3 should be Steve, Joe and Marty Friedmann
tamedeyes
Newcomer

I travelled from Ottawa to see this and it was worth the money. If you think the beer is expensive in Montreal, you ain't seen nothing. At least I was able to bring more than 2 beers at a time to my seat. In Ottawa, not a chance.

I've been playing guitar since '82 and I've never seen anything remotely close to this.

Malmsteen had me wondering just how fingers could do such things. God knows some of his scales break your fingers.

But when Vai hit the stage, my whole view of guitar playing changed. Hell, my whole mental image of guitar playing changed. I came away from Vai's set numb. And was his band tight. I was expecting more of a 'Flexible' or a Zappa-esque sort of thing but I was floored from the 1st note to the last. Sheehan blew me away as well. His whole band blew me away.

And then Joe jumped in with Satch and Crystal planet. Ahhhhhh!

Although I wasn't in the best seats in the house, I could still see everyone's fingers, or in Vai's case, his 6 hands. I was in the 220's.

I wonder who would be qualified for another G3 ? At one point I asked myself if Uli Roth was still around but that would be really Esoteric. Although you gotta wonder which Hendrix song they'd jam on.

But Van Halen would make things interesting I think. There just ain't many guitar players out there of this caliber. And even less after this performance. I just consider myself lucky to have witnessed these guys. Its a week later and I still don't know what hit me.
tonydrocks
Newcomer

Awesome Night...A Great Night of Guitar Playing...Me & My Girlfriend Travelled to Montreal from T.O. and both say Friday's show was much better... Yngwie, Steve and Joe you guys ROCK!!!! 8)
RickAllen

Okay, it's a week and a few days later and finally I have a chance to post my review.

I've been wanting to see Yngwie since 1985 but haven't had the chance. I've seen Steve once and Joe twice. When I heard about this show I knew I had to go, even though Montreal is 1000km away. My girlfriend bought us tickets for my 33rd birthday which was on the same weekend as the concert. Then we entered the draw for the aftershow passes. Well, she won. I was so excited. I still wasn't counting on meeting the guys 'cause just because you have a pass doesn't guarantee anything. I could not decide what to bring and get signed if we were lucky enough to meet them. So I just brought a whole bunch of stuff and I'd decide when I got to Montreal. But I did bring my Ibanez Jem floral pattern guitar (I had 5 big guitar heroes when I was growing up- Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani- and I met Eric and Vinnie about two years ago and got them to sign my guitar. It's also signed by B.B King but he wasn't one of my guitar idols, but he is a guitar legend.) So when we arrived in Montreal at aroound 2:30 we still had about five hours 'till the show. So we parked and I got my guitar and we went for a walk and check out Montreal. So we walked for about 15 or 20 minutes and my girlfriend noticed a comic shop and those are always fun to look around in, so we go in and they had all kinds of rock shirts and posters and stuff like that. After about 15 minutes we go up the stairs and open up the door. Some guy is just walking by as I open the door. I almost walked into him. He's got a baseball cap on and a windbreaker jacket on. I look at him for a second and ask myself "is that him?" so I just say "Steve?" he looks over his shoulder and nods yes. So I say"Hey can you sign my guitar?" he says "yeah sure". My girlfriend and my buddy are still trying to figure out what the hell is going on. So i pull out my guitar from the gig bag. When Steve sees that it's a Jem he says "Oh cool!" So He signs it and my girlfriend takes a picture of him signing. Then when he's done she asks if she can take a photo of us together he says "yeah". So I thanked him and told him we had aftershow passes and we'd see him again then. He asks if I know where "Berry street" is. I say"no sorry we're not even from this province" he says "okay" and keeps on walking. (he also had a bag from HMV records in his hand, so he had been music shopping) I turn around and notice that the cap from my marker is missing. I say to my girl "I think he swiped the cap from my marker" and I look in his direction and he's coming back to us holding out my cap and smiling. I say "thanks, catch ya later". Then we stood around for ten minutes in shock. There must be 2 or 3 million people in Montreal and I open a door and he's the person directly in front of me!!! And we don't even know where the heck we are.

So we go back to the car and kill some time. Finally the show will soon start. We wanted to get in early because we knew that they were sometimes autographed posters at the merch booth and that they go quickly. So as soon as they opened up we went straight for it. No posters. We asked and the girl said they would get them in a little while. So we waited and waited. Finally some guy comes up and says that Steve and Joe had signed them but were still trying to get Yngwie to sign them. I said "keep trying" I told the girl I would buy one now even if Yngwie doesn't sign. $50!!! wow, expensive. So I told her to hold the best one for me and I bought a G3 shirt for $45. They had some cool stuff there like autographed Yngwie cd's and autographed Vai "Mystery Tracks" cd's. The secret jewel box was only $80 Canadian. That was the best deal there but I only had enough money for the poster and shirt since we had to pay for gas and hotel.

Just before the show started I went to see if the posters had arrived. They had and nobody knew it yet, so I had my pick from the 10 or so posters for the best autographs.

The show started and out comes Yngwie. Wow. Before he even hit a note he kicked a pick out into the crowd and flipped his guitar around his neck. After reading all the reviews about his performances I was worried he would be drunk, but he wasn't. He did an awesome job. He put on a great fun show. It would get a little boring if you had to watch him play like that every night. But for an hour or so it is really amazing. He's the reason I play guitar. It was worth the 18 year wait. No picks came my way so when his set was done I went up front and waited for the roadies to toss some out. So he picks some up off the stage and tosses them. They don't make it past the barrier and I jump over in a flash and grab the two of them and jump back over and go back to my seat a happy guy. One of them is quite scuffed so I think he may have played with it and it had fallen on the stage.

After his set my girlfriend went and got our aftershow passes. Then we watched Steve's set. No point in going over it again. It's all been said before. Amazing, amazing, amazing!!! Billy was great too. I felt so lucky to be there and see this show.

Joe sounded excellent but I would've preferred to see Stuart Hamm up there with him. He had the best sound of the night also.

Then the jam. I spent a lot of the time running around trying to take some pictures and missed some of the highlights and I had to go get my guitar from the car to bring to the aftershow meet 'n greet. But what I did see was sure a lot of fun. When it was over I told my friend to go up front and try to get a pick. So I'm waiting for him and a pick comes flying at me and I grab it. It was one of those. G3 picks with the three guys on it and satriani.com on the other side. I give it to my friend 'cause he can't go to the aftershow so I wanted him to have something from the show. Later when we got home I got this pick back after trading him some stuff for it.

So we wait and wait finally they bring us back behind the stage down a long hallway and into a small room and we wait some more. Joe comes in and everyone jumps him so I wait my turn. But then a few minutes later Yngwie comes in and I decide I'd better go meet him before he decides to leave early like I have been reading about. He said something like "aren't there any tables?" 'cause it was just a small room with one little table and chair in the back. So a few people got to him first and I wait paitiently. Finally I put my guitar on the table and ask if he could sign it and tell him I'm in his fan club. He didn't really say anything to me. I also got him to sign a promo photo for me. And my girl took a few pics. I talked with Yngwie's wife for a few seconds and she asked if I had a pick and gave me another one. My girfriend told Yngwie that it was good of him to come do this for the fans and he said something like " well you gotta do the rock and roll thing" or the "rock star thing" I was too star struck to really say very much. And I didn't really want to be dissappointed if he was a jerk. So I thanked him and left quite happy. Here's what he wrote on my guitar "Yngwie Malmsteen 2003", "Hi Steve" with a little arrow pointing to Steve's name, and "play Fender" I din't notice the play fender thing until a little later-what an idiot. It's none of his business what kind of guitar I play. I thought he was writing "play loud" that's his little catchphrase. Oh well it's kind of funny. My girlfriend got him to sign my "Rising Force" cd. Then we wait for Joe to be free for a minute He says "Hi" and we tell him that we drove overnight to come to the show and that it was great and all that stuff. I couldn't find the cd cover I wanted him to sign that was in my bag and I didn't want to bug him too much so I just got him to sign my guitar and my girl got him to sign the back plate of our friend's Joe Satriani model Ibanez guitar. We asked for a picture with him and he said sure. We told him to have a safe trip on the rest of the tour and he wished the same for us. Then we said thanks and in walks Tony MacAlpine. We talked to him for a few minutes and I got him to sign my "Edge of Insanity" cd and got a picture with him. He was a real nice guy. Billy Sheehan had walked in while were talking to Tony but we couldn't just leave him. So by the time we were finished with Tony, Billy had disappeared. Oh well. Then in comes Steve. When it was our turn I said "hey Steve, can you sign the back of my guitar neck" (and I asked him to write someting specific on it he was a little surprised at what I wanted him to write but he did and signed his name again too.) My girl took another picture of him signing. I got him to sign my "Flexable" cd.I asked if he found what he was looking for that afternoon and he said "yeah it was Archibald- Archie ball" I didn't know what he was talking about and I just sort of looked like an idiot and shrugged my shoulders. So he said he found this place and "spent $300 on "Stravinsky scores" I later found out the place was called "Archambault" and that it is a huge music store in Montreal. My girlfriend asked if he could sign the Ultra Zone tour book for our friend who was waiting for us in the parking garage. I then asked him if I could take a picture of him and my girlfriend together cause "she thinks you're cute" he laughed and said "Maybe I could make a career out of this" My girl turned bright red from embarrassment. We told him we drove overnight to be there and loved the show. Then we wished him a safe journey back home and he told us to have a safe trip also. We thanked him for his time and the amazing concert and left.

I can hardly wait for the dvd. There is a picture on satriani.com under the G3 2003 photos that would make an awseome cover. It is a shot of the marquee with Joe, Steve, and Yngwie's names on it. Even if the name of the theatre is different the could remove it from the image. I think it would be perfect. 'Cause that first g3 dvd cover isn't very good.

So to the Vai.com website for picking my girl "supertan" for the aftershow meet 'n greet passes. Thanks for the great birthday gift. It was a night I won't forget.

-Rick and Tanya :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Here's the pics too(they're not the best, but they are the best I could do):

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnnyrocket1111

I know pics go in the other thread but it's just a link in case nobody goes there.
Viathan
Newcomer

Wow you lucky RickAllen! How can you have backstage pass and great tickets like this?! Great photos too, thanks to share them with us. :D I take some pictures too but they are shit! I'm from Montréal and I am happy to see guys comin from 1000 km away! My girlfriend remember you, she see you at the ground level...We where section 114 row FF (6th row) just left side from the stage (Yngwie side). We had good tickets but you have better for sure! By the way where do you live?
Charon
Newcomer

Hi!!!!!! I'm a big fan of Yngwie since 1985 but never had a chance to see him live (The first time in Quebec with DIO, he was not here and the second time borders caused him problems, as heard). I discovered through all those years the other two (Vai and Satriani) and they are great musicians too. Each of them have his own playing style and that's what create a very magical night. I was on first row and had the chance to see them very near. I was on the side of Malmsteen and that's the reason I heard his amp a lot. Sometimes, I can't hear the other two but I prefered this situation just to see their fingers and their expression. I can't wait to see the DVD to hear them all. Yngwie was very energic but I thought he could play a lot more notes instead of kicking picks in the crowd. I know that it's not a surprise since I saw a lot of videos of him. He was great, even. Steve gave the best performance and his band was one of the best I saw live. What a bass player!!!!!!!! Billy was demonstrating why he's one of the best in the world. With Tony Macalpine and Dave Weiner, what a great trio of guitarists. Great sound too. Steve deserved the big ovation he received. Joe gave as usual another flawless demonstration of his talent. Thanks to him for creating this tour event. I really hope Montreal will be more often on destination tour on the next G3's. I will come from Quebec anytime.
Thanks
bonzobizz
Newcomer

Saw one of the best shows of my life that night :shock: One of my buddies is the biggest Malmsteen fan I know and even he couldn't believe that Vai would blow all of them away.He is one hell of a performer. Thanks Steve for the wonderful trip into your world and hopefully with your performances you will show people that there is a lot more to playing guitar than flicking picks.(must cost Malmsteen a fortune) :P Hopefully you can come to Montreal again and do a full show. VAI RULES!!!
stanley_gs
Newcomer

I came from Ottawa to see it,
and when Steve came on stage,
and played Whispering A Prayer,
I cried.

It was worth it.