REVIEWS: 06 NOV 2007 - SAO PAO, BRAZIL

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show at Bourbon Street in Sao Paulo?

Please post your review of the show here. Steve and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Jeroen
vai.com
Neube

The show was amazing (the new band really works!!!). The Evo experience was great (except for a weird family that almost ruined the evening with a thousand gifts and an incredible power to be incovenient).
It's a big show (more then 2 hours) and is great as it's being said in the other posts. The only thign that was not ok was the venue. The bar is beautiful, the sound is great but the stage is too damn low. 90% of the audience only had a view of Mr. Vai's head. I'm a tall guy and I had to struggle to see his guitar. The acoustic set was invisible even for me.
Ok, that is it.
See you in Rio de Janeiro next time (I hope Mr. Vai comes to Rio in the future)
Neube
Felipefisica
Newcomer

I will speak of the show, and the drunk idiot, sat just behind me.

Steve, just for you to know who is talking (if you get the chance to read this): I am the one from the restaurant in Paris, G3 July 2004, and yesterday as you might remember we talked to each other on the street.

The show:

The show was amazing!!! Thanks Steve!!! You are the best guitar player that ever lived!!! That is the third time I see Steve live, and like always he was amazing. The band is great, and the beautiful and lovely Ann Marie gave a different atmosphere to the show! Ann, you rock!!!

The idiot drunk guy:

I arrived at my table (104), and he was already sat there. He asked me if I knew the formation of the band, and I said yes. Then he asked me if Billy Sheehan was going to play, and I said no. He got furius and started ofending Steve Vai and the band, then I told him that he would have to watch the formation before buying the ticket if he was there willing to see Billy Sheehan, then he started offending me.
The show began, and he started screaming ¨Malmsteen¨, ¨Jonh Mclaughin¨, and all the other great guitar players as saying that Vai is worse... Such a child... He screamed many times: I have a guitar like that (Vai was playing with the Jem 20th) you bench of loosers... He said very loud for me to listen, that he had spent yesterday 270 reais with picks and my family's whole salary with strings...
We (me and many other guys that were upset with that situation) asked for the security to solve the problem, but they failured to take him out from the venue.

Conclusion: The show was great to me but it could have been much better if that fucking idiot was not there... It is increadible how we can pay 270 reais and have an idiot screaming the whole show in our ears and Boubon's staff not beeing able to solve the problem.

Cheers,
Felipe
TheOtnip

That really sucks that one guy had to ruin the night : / Wonder why security didn't take care of him?

Glad to hear the band played as awesome as ever :)
777lovein

I arrived at my table (104), and he was already sat there. He asked me if I knew the formation of the band, and I said yes. Then he asked me if Billy Sheehan was going to play, and I said no. He got furius and started ofending Steve Vai and the band, then I told him that he would have to watch the formation before buying the ticket if he was there willing to see Billy Sheehan, then he started offending me.
The show began, and he started screaming ¨Malmsteen¨, ¨Jonh Mclaughin¨, and all the other great guitar players as saying that Vai is worse... Such a child... He screamed many times: I have a guitar like that (Vai was playing with the Jem 20th) you bench of loosers... He said very loud for me to listen, that he had spent yesterday 270 reais with picks and my family's whole salary with strings...
We (me and many other guys that were upset with that situation) asked for the security to solve the problem, but they failured to take him out from the venue.

why you are angree with him? in rome was it the same. there where many sad over billy don´t play. and jes i´m allso one who´s missing billy. o.k his new basser can play too but he´s not so cute as billy. and i know i speak out of the soul of many´s
Felipefisica
Newcomer

Why am I angry? Do I really have to answer??? It is all about Steve Vai, not Billy Sheehan. I love the way Billy plays, but I was there for Steve. And it is written in Steve's site the band formation, so if you are not able to read it before the show, I am sorry but there is nothing I can do about it. And no one has the right to scream the whole show offending the fans and Steve Vai himself. If you don't like him, give the money you would spend for children who has nothing to eat, and stay at home sleeping...
777lovein

Felipefisica wrote:Why am I angry? Do I really have to answer??? It is all about Steve Vai, not Billy Sheehan. I love the way Billy plays, but I was there for Steve. And it is written in Steve's site the band formation, so if you are not able to read it before the show, I am sorry but there is nothing I can do about it. And no one has the right to scream the whole show offending the fans and Steve Vai himself. If you don't like him, give the money you would spend for children who has nothing to eat, and stay at home sleeping...
sory you don´t say it before that he scream the whole show. jes i would be angree like you than sory :)
yegap

Don't feel bad we got drunk A-Holes in New Jersey too. At the Starland there was a guy wacked out yelling during Steve's acoustic set with Jeremy. He also threw a plastic water bottle towards the stage. The only difference was that security quickly removed the dope. Unfortunatly, some people aren't there for the same reasons that we go for.
:?
Leandro Oliveira
Newcomer

I have to agree with whoever said the stage was too low. And the place was packed REAL full. I was right on the fence, since I was one of the lucky people who attended EVO. But, sometime around the middle of the set, I just couldn't take the pushing anymore. And someone's elbow was digging right into my ribs!

EVO was great too! I wish It had started earlier, though. I sure would have appreciated spending more time talking to Steve! :D What a great guy! Actaully, it goes for the whole band. Everyone was so attentive with the fans. Dave is a sweet guy too. And I don't think I have to mention how cute Ann Marie is, right?!

All in all, even though I had to haul ass all the way from Rio, it was the best time I've had in ages!

Thanks, guys! Thanks for such a great show!
Naivefire
Newcomer

Hey everyone!
I hope i'm not late to post here... :)
I was one of the lucky girls to attend the evo premium experience, and all I can say is a huuuuuuge thank you, to everyone, but I know that's something that even these words can't express properly.
I really want to thank Mikey for being ever so kind to us and for organizing things so well. Sorry if i bothered you too much about my ticket, but I'm a bit paranoic :)
And the Q&A was... what it was... It rocked, it was so informal, so cozy, so nice, so funny, that when I recollect it, surely I'll remember it my entire life. Thank You a lot Mr. Vai for verything you've told us and for making us feel so comfortable in your presence. Thank you for answering my many questions, and for discussing all those topics with us, and for your everlasting patience and kindness. Thank you for being so lovely. I truly hope you enjoyed it as much as we did, and allow me the petulance to doubt it, cause I'm still speechless about it, so maybe we have a tie here :lol:
The soundcheck was also really cool... thanks to Mr. Weiner who was there hanging around with us. You rock! :D
After all these, I thought: If they play only three songs and go home, They have already made my day... :D But nooooo, the show was awesome!!!! I wonder if anyone's got that setlist, if so, post it... because it was unbelieeeeeevable:) And I laughed my ass off with Steve's and Jeremy's remarks, that's also a memory I shall cherish forever :) All in all was a really fun show, It showed great musicianship, as I can hardly ever see anywhere else, and the songs, the solos, the violins, the "duels" and "duets", the songs, the lyrics, the feelings, the audience response, the emotions... Was I in heaven and didn't notice??? :shock: Well, i can still shiver when I think of "All about eve" with that violin solo. I've never heard/seen anything like it.
I'm sorry for whoever had problems during the show. Unfortunately there are assholes anywhere in the world... I hope everything goes all right next time :)
Sorry If I've extended myself too much over it... But I had to say it all somewhere :)
I hope that next time Steve Vai plays here, you guys can hold an Evo experience... It meant a lot for me, and I believe for everyone involved. And I also hope that another show won't take this long to happen :( And that you may come to Rio next time :)
Ahhhh I've got a doubt... has anyone got any idea what is gonna happen with all that footage they were shooting at the gig? and the Q&A?
Kisses and hugs for everyone :)

Clarissa Wyler
dgcarla
Newcomer

el que tengas ganas, pude dejar comentarios en español en
www.steve-vai.blogspot.com
Harry_Hataway
Newcomer

I started writing this review two days after the show =)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been more than 48 hours since the beginning of the show and i'm still raving about it. Writing a review ain't gonna be easy, but i'll give it a try splitting it in two parts, the EVO Experience (which i attended) and the Concert itself

EVO Experience
Since 2005's Real Illusions World Tour I've been waiting for EVO Experience to be available here in Brazil. To be honest i literally nullified this possibility in my mind, because i always thought this kind of meeting is a complicated thing to organize, specially here in Brazil where there's a smooth tendency for things to get a little messy. I was delaying the ticket acquisition and even considered not attending the show, because it was on Tuesday and probably i would need to bend half of the world to be at the venue.

At October '26 a friend of mine(and the only Vai-freak-friend i have) calls me telling me that EVO Premium Tickets were at sale. Bang! Without thinking twice i got it!.

By default the EVO Premium Experience is scheduled to 15:30 at the concert day, but for some reason it was re-scheduled to 18:30.
Around 19:00, Mikey arrived and gathered the Experience's attendees, conducting us to an isolated area of the venue where we could have the Q&A with Vai.
The meeting was great! The fans were nice and asked cool questions. Steve's off-stage attitude was exactly what i imagined: Peaceful and easy going.. his presence irradiates an eerie vibe, something that is hard to express with words. Speaking on words, sincerely, there's no words that can describe the feeling of meeting your top musical idol in flesh and bone, to look into his eye and say that he really changed your life.

The soundcheck was simple and kind of rushed, because they were late. Steve checked a couple of songs with the full band plus some acoustic stuff. It was so cool to watch him request equalizer changes for the roadies on the fly!

In the end, it was amazing and i'm really looking forward for more EVO Experiences here in São Paulo! :D

The show:

Bourbon Street is a tiny house, very remarked to be the stage of cozy jazz and blues performances of great names from B.B King to Mike Stern. I was really curious to watch Steve in that venue. I prefer smaller houses, because the distance between the performer and the audience tends to be smaller.
Thanks to EVO Premium Experience i got a nice spot in the front of the stage (parallel to Alex and Phil). It was great , i could look into the band members faces anytime i wanted, except for Ann Marie .. :( Ok ok you can't have everything =P

Steve set the Bourbon Street on Fire!! Boy, it was damn hot in there and the crowd was full of energy. The setlist got such a good selection of songs. The biggest surprises of the night (for me) were: Tender Surrender, Taurus Bulba, Oooo, All About Eve and Firewall (Vai kind of spoiled the playing of Firewall in the meeting =P).

He delivered the full package: from Funny to the Headbangin' , plus those ass-kickin' emotional peaks like in Whispering a Prayer.

The Band:

When Steve announced major changes in the lineup, plus the departure of Billy Sheehan and Tony Mcalpine a few months ago i felt kinda sorry, because The Breed kicked so much ass live. If you felt this way: Relax because the lineup is delicious as ever. The two violins added that "Mahavishnu Orchestra's curry" spice to the band's tone ;)

Dave Weiner: This 30yo kid blew me away again. He was playing those riffs with such power i was afraid that sparks would pop out of the guitar!

Jeremy Colson: No comments! If you think the "living cartoon" is loud in the G3 DVD's performances you gotta see him live... A passionate monster drummer!

Ann Marie: This talented, cute and charismatic violin player added the ultimate feminine touch to the band's performance. She and Steve performing together was so cool! I'm looking forward to see her with the band in other tours.

Alex De Pue: The male part of the violin-curry. In contrast to Ann Marie, his playing is more aggressive and darker-sounding. He knows how to make that Viper scream!

Philip Bynoe: I freaked out when i knew that my favorite Vai Bass player was in town! I lost the Ultra Zone concert here in Sao Paulo, so i couldn't watch him. This guy is just awesome, he can groove in any territory: from heavy metal to funk. He is the best bass performer of FTLOG ever!

1000000 Thanks to Steve, the Band and Crew for the wonderful night. Hope to see you guys again soon!
Gustavo Barrancos
lukevo

I'm Lucas from "Whispering a Prayer Family" (who attented EVO Experience will know why) and i would like to thank you guys for the best show of my life!
Thanks to Steve and his wonderful band!! Hope to see you soon on the next EVO Experience + Concert here in São Paulo

When Tony and Billy left the band i felt kinda anxious about what to expect of the new lineup. But after the concert i can assure that this new band is outstanding!

I and Steve Vai:

My Mother and Steve Vai:

My Father and Steve Vai

Last edited by lukevo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laficojr

For sure it was a great evening!! I cant really put it down to words, but it was magical! The EVo premium experience is truly an amazing thing.

Thank you Steve, the band and Mikey, of course, for this wonderfull night 8)