REVIEWS: 06 OCT 2007 - WESTBURY, NY

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
djpaulqc
Newcomer

Vai at the Webster Theater October 3rd

#16 Post by djpaulqc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:56 am

Check out my pictures from the Webster Theater October 3rd. Steve is playing my guitar..

renduke

westbury

#17 Post by renduke » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:12 am

Thought the opening act TSO were good but Way to loud.

At about a quarter before 6 to about 6:30 there were only about 8 fans out by the bus was hoping Steve might pop out just for two or three mins considering the limited number of people.....sorta felt bad for this 9 year old kid having a heart attack tp meet him.

Anyway the venue is awesome not a bad seat in the house.
Highlites for me
were tender surrender, violin solos, and by far
whispering a prayer.

DID anyone remember steve saying this one is for mother theresa before he played whispering a prayer.....i thought that was a real class thing by a real class guy and the timbres on that song were just beyond words.

I can really appriecate his mind blowing speed on his shreds, but i always felt (and still do) that he's best when phrasing slow songs.....when he does that, i think there is just Jeff Beck, Steve Vai and everyong else.

At the end of the show Steve got a standing ovation that lasted a good 2 mins and it was obvious he was deeply moved by the response.

Steve Moved us, it was a Great Show, don't miss him.

bancika

#18 Post by bancika » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:05 am

yeah, he did mention mother Theresa. I agree for his phrasing, it's out of this world.
I also saw the guy who lost his pass. Hi didn't find it while I was there and I think they didn't want to let him stay without it...not sure what happened but it sucks...

jac10
Newcomer

#19 Post by jac10 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:18 am

Second time seeing Vai at Westbury. Definitely the best. Great showmanship, excellent personality. Brought my wife who knows nothing about Steve. She was totally impressed by "the sounds he gets out of his guitar."
The band as a whole was awesome. Jeremy kicked ass!!
It was good to hear "All about Steve", I mean "Eve."
Worth the extra cash to see him front row center!!

brentm

#20 Post by brentm » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 am

Yes, the show was amazing. Steve's always puts on a great show, but this one was even better than I had imagined. The venue was small (and I was surprised about the number of empty seats). I suppose he's already been to NY a couple times at this point.

The show was fantastic. Steve's mother gave away her aftershow pass to a fan. She was very touched by their story. I did speak with his Mrs. Vai and let her know that I thought her son was one of the greatest musicians to walk this planet. She's a very sweet sweet lady.

Again, I was surprsed that everyone wanted to sit during a rock concert. I guess I sit enough in my daily life to want to stand during a show. Sorry to whoever I pissed off as I stood during FTLOG.

I do appreciate Steve and the band playing each show as long as possible. I've beent many other artists shows that only last 1 hour. It's always great to watch Steve play for 2-3 hours. I could have watched another two hours of performance.

I'll have some pictures later - i left my usb cable at home.

williebee

#21 Post by williebee » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:56 am

The band Steve put together is amazing. In one word, although there are many to describe them, - SOLID. Alex & Ann Marie are a great addition, Killer solos too. I liked the texture the violins add to the songs. Jeremy is one steady hard hitting Drummer (loved the "contraption", not knowing what else to call it, during the acoustic section of the show). Bryan kept the bottom of the whole thing rock solid with Jeremy. Great rhythm section to have. Dave has to be one of the best support guitarists for Steve. Great player. To watch how he's right on the rhythm parts and harmony lines of the music is unbelievable, big freakin job he has there. And what can you say about Steve, the command, control, passion and love of the guitar he has is so great I feel almost honored to witness it. I'm trying not to get too sappy here, but it's's always a great experience to see Steve live. Each time just gets better as he developes as an artist.

Another plus was getting to meet Seraphim, Christine and Niki at the Evo Experience and the show. Good to meet the people you get to know through reading their posts here. Again real good to meet up with you guys. I've got some pics to post when I get some time. Hopefully soon.

Ritchie
Newcomer

#22 Post by Ritchie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:27 pm

ljk22093 wrote:did a kid about 15 years old get called up to plauy? wish i culda gone but my frined said he got called up? i think he was lying though

I hope by now you realized "that kid" was Zack Weisinger. Who won a guitarist compition, (thousands entered). The story goes something like that.

renduke

?? if you met Steve after the show

#23 Post by renduke » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:12 pm

Me and my friends hung out about 15 mins after the show and were told steve would NOT be out for AT LEAST another hour......we figured that translated to like an hour and 20 mins........we were only willing to wait an additional 20 mins so we split.........how long was it before he came out and about how many people waited that long for him ?

anyway great show can't wait for the next nyc long island area one already.

sabshga
Newcomer

10-6-07 COncert at Westbury

#24 Post by sabshga » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:11 pm

This was my first Steve Vai concert. I've barely even heard his solo material. I'm familiar with his work with Zappa, David Lee Roth and Missing Persons. I knew he was great and I wanted to take my 10 year old son (a budding guitarist) to a virtuoso level show. We surely got our money's worth. Wow! What great compositions! What great players! What great sounds coming out of a guitar!

Everyone was world class on their instruments. I loved the musicality of the violinists. Their phrasing was fantasitc. My only regret was that we left at around a quarter after 11. So I figure we missed about a 1/2 hour of music. But at over two hours of show taken in, I think we were aurally spent. My son hypothesized that he must have heard about a million notes. Being a bit of a math geek I figured that if he played 32nd notes at a tempo of 120 bpm steadily for 2 hours that would be 460,000 notes. Steve's a lot more musical than that but he played a lot of notes. What sensational technique. I can't think of a better guitarist. I can think of players I enjoy as much but none that are musically and techincally better.

Anyone whose on the fence about seeing one of these shows next time should just buy the tickets. You cannot be disappointed. :D

vaigod

#25 Post by vaigod » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 pm

All I can say is this. I have seen many Vai shows. I love Billy but... This was by far the best Vai show ever for me. I mean the ambiance was soothing. The audience was great. Vai talked about finally being able to play at Westbury after driving by it so many times and dreaming of one day playing there was very moving. You can really tell he was touched by the way the crowd sent their love and I mean LOVE to him and his band. It was amazing. Jeremy was awesome, didn't miss a beat. Sorry - bad pun. Its true though. I liked the lil comedy skit those two did. "I can make it say things too!" LOL. Dave was right on as usual. The pedal breaking and then stopping in the middle of tune - I don't think was too bad. It was such a fun night, it was very easy to laugh then move on. Alex (he smokes where ever he is because he can) was really amazing. Great work! Ann Marie, ah Ann Marie, I think everyone fell in love with her that night. She was awesome, I do wish she had a lil more lead time but.. its cool.. What an angel.

This is my feeble attempt to describe such a night of peace - love and good happiness stuff. :D

Thanks Steve and band!!!!!

~D

ltw/oheat7771

#26 Post by ltw/oheat7771 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 am

[quote="bancika"]yeah, he did mention mother Theresa. I agree for his phrasing, it's out of this world.
I also saw the guy who lost his pass. Hi didn't find it while I was there and I think they didn't want to let him stay without it...not sure what happened but it sucks...[/quote]
I as well saw the kid whom was trying to give the Sombrero guy (if anyone else noticed) his pass which by the way was a not blue the color of that night) maybe that's why sombrero kid was being very passive, anyway, I do think he finally gave in, he was placing the pass giving kid into his BlackBerry after the fact he wanted to thank him by giving him the sombrero. I had to remove my self before I got involved. lol
Last edited by ltw/oheat7771 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentm

#27 Post by brentm » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:05 am

Steve looking at the Frank Zappa Guitar Book

Seraphim and LucySorets

Some of the forumites gathering before the show.

The setlist

Steve's reaction to the standing ovation after FTLOG.

ltw/oheat7771

Re: REVIEWS: 06 OCT 2007 - WESTBURY, NY

#28 Post by ltw/oheat7771 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:28 am

Yes, we did attend the show at Westbury Music Fair on Oct. 6,2007
The show was PHENOMENAL, needless to say more. Steve always
connects with his audience as well as him becoming one with many of his family membered guitars, which he brings to life!!!
This show I must say felt so personable when seeing Steve move more freely upon stage. We really saw and felt his inner expressions throughout every note he played. He's so eccentric........VIRTUOSO he is!
The band he has put together were fantastic as welll. The violinist' were amazing. The drummer was very impressive along with the others. It just all fit together. Pure grace upon the stage to fit in so well with Mr. Steve Vai's persona. Everyone here on Long Island, NY seems to only have great things to speak of about this show.........I hope we don't have to wait too long until we can EXPERIENCE once again, the power of beauty which speaks throughout Steve's fingertips and shines from deep within his soul. Steve has his own rainbow of colors........which will shine on forever. A special thank you to Mikey M for getting my trademark flowers to Steve and placing them on the stage. You were such a pleasure to speak with, thanks for everything!!! Last but not least, Mr. Steve Vai it's always an honor to be in the proximitiy of your surroundings. Glad we had a few moments to catch up. Until next time............
Dee

bancika

#29 Post by bancika » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am

ltw/oheat7771 wrote: I as well saw the kid whom was trying to give the Sombrero guy (if anyone else noticed) his pass which by the way was a not blue 9 the color of that night) maybe that's wahy sombrero kid was being very passive
there's nothing wrong with pink passes, I used that one. They come from sound theory presale, blue ones were given by band members or something like that. But they are both valid.

Strat-Abuse
Newcomer

Westbury '07 ROCKED!!

#30 Post by Strat-Abuse » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Hey Steve, hope you see this, this is from the 2 generations of Vai fans, you put on an amazingly breathtaking performance that only a master could perform. Thank you for the picture!!