REVIEWS: 06 OCT 2007 - WESTBURY, NY

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEWS: 06 OCT 2007 - WESTBURY, NY

#1 Post by Jeroen » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:33 pm

id you attend this show at the North Fork Theatre in Westbury?

Please post your review of the show here. Steve and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Jeroen :)
vai.com

EVH 5150

#2 Post by EVH 5150 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 pm

i was there. wow, steve you and the band were ON. keep it up. 10/10 mark wood was phenomenal as well.

ljk22093
Newcomer

#3 Post by ljk22093 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:48 pm

did a kid about 15 years old get called up to plauy? wish i culda gone but my frined said he got called up? i think he was lying though

hgarner2000
Newcomer

Vai at Providence with Sound Theories tour

#4 Post by hgarner2000 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:54 pm

Yeah, it was amazing. The soul with which he played "For the Love of God" was truly beautiful, not to mention a ton of other tunes. And the strings added very nice contributions to the band. That is one rockin' band!

RyanFormato
Newcomer

#5 Post by RyanFormato » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:23 am

The show was awesome. Steve broke a string 1st or 2nd song and flawlessly switched guitars. Vai was definitely "on" last night. I saw the younger kid come on. He played about 2 songs with Vai, but you couldn't hear him at all. Vai never announced who he was though. I did get to meet Vai after the show though. Anyone know what happened to Billy Sheehan? That drummer is real good.

I put pictures up of his gear on my myspace @ www.myspace.com/ryanformato

stevie83
Newcomer

#6 Post by stevie83 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:15 am

I N C R E D I B L E ! The Man, the Music. the Show! All I kept saying to myself throughout the night was INCREDIBLE. Starting with the EVO EXPERIENCE, (where it's a great chance to meet Steve and ask questions) till the time we walked out the doors it was incredible. The EVO EXPERIENCE was great because You really get a chance to see what a warm, honest, fun loving guy that he really is. A true gentleman and an incredibley deep musician that only comes around once in a lifetime (if where lucky). All I can say is if Steve comes your way---DON'T miss him!

bancika

#7 Post by bancika » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:39 am

It was great show, amazing. It's my second show (first was in Serbia last year) and I'd go again any day :) My favorite song on both concerts was Building the Church, really well done. Second best is The Audience is Listening and right next For the Love of God.
The band was awesome, they really gave their best. I don't think it's necessary to have two violins, giving more space to Anne Marie would be better - but that's probably because she's cute :)
Steve's jokes were great :lol: It was nice of him to bring his mom to the show and meet&greet event.

As for Mark Wood, I really liked the last part, their interpretations of famous (mostly Led Zeppelin) songs were great, as for his stuff-it's interesting but after two songs it becomes little boring. He uses way too much FX on that violin.

Finally, few pics:

Cheers,
Bane

RyanFormato
Newcomer

#8 Post by RyanFormato » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Hey Bane

I took that picture. haha. You took mine as well.

Thanks. The picture came out great.

aalloca

#9 Post by aalloca » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:51 pm

Excellent show. Great Setlist. Classy job with the EVO experience.

I found myself thinking several new things at this show. We all know Steve is a god, but sitting on the left side opened me up a little.

1. Dave is fantastic and solid. Great rhythm tracks, and I was very impressed with his funk skills on Firewall.

2. Jeremy is a monster on drums, loud and in your face, his triplets on Audience were jawdropping.

3. Ann Marie besides being beautiful, had a smile the whole show and played some amazing stuff. She almost stole the show.

4. Alex's solo was incredible.

5. Brian's groove was very solid

Song of the night for me.... Tender Surrender.

bancika

#10 Post by bancika » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:16 pm

RyanFormato wrote:Hey Bane

I took that picture. haha. You took mine as well.

Thanks. The picture came out great.
\

Hey, that's cool :D
I'm glad it turned out nice

Ritchie
Newcomer

Westbury show

#11 Post by Ritchie » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:58 pm

Went to the Westbury show and this show was very nice. It gave me a Family feeling. To see Steves Mom there blew my mind. The Band played flawlessly,tight,smooth and raw. My emotions were from tears to joy, and maybe hope. And in the end I got a guitar pick...Coollll.
:peace

EVH
Newcomer

#12 Post by EVH » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:20 pm

It was great! I really enjoyed the concert, very well done. Steve was awesome (of course), the drummer was amazing, and so was Alex (his solo was great). There wasn't a single point at which I was bored. I liked For the Love of God and Tender Surrender. It was overall a flawless performance, and one of the most enjoyable concerts I've been to (especially with the jokes). My only complaint was when Dave's pedal was broken. The thing is I wouldn't have noticed if he worked his way around the problem, but it seemed a bit unprofessional to stop in the middle of the solo and then explain that he would take it from where the pedal ended (although I'm not sure how important it was to the solo), especially after seeing Steve manage to work his way around a broken string. Still Dave had a solid performance otherwise.

The first act was great, too. As a violinist, it completely blew me away. I was glad when they started covering songs because at that point it started to get a bit repetitive.

bancika

#13 Post by bancika » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:44 pm

EVH wrote: My only complaint was when Dave's pedal was broken.
Well, I think it was whammy pedal that got broken. It is very distinctive so it wouldn't sound quite right without if it...My friend didn't even notice that something's wrong when Steve broke string-well done :)
It was funny to me, didn't take that as a minus. After all they are still humans and it's live perfomance. Sh*t happens
EVH wrote:I was glad when they started covering songs because at that point it started to get a bit repetitive.
Agree, that was highlight of their performance.

EVH
Newcomer

#14 Post by EVH » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:15 pm

bancika wrote:
EVH wrote: My only complaint was when Dave's pedal was broken.
Well, I think it was whammy pedal that got broken. It is very distinctive so it wouldn't sound quite right without if it...My friend didn't even notice that something's wrong when Steve broke string-well done :)
It was funny to me, didn't take that as a minus. After all they are still humans and it's live perfomance. Sh*t happens
True, I still enjoyed his playing a lot. I guess the way I wrote it made it seem like it was more of a negative than it actually was, for me it was more of a minor thing.

Lionheart1827
Newcomer

#15 Post by Lionheart1827 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:48 pm

Amazing show, amazing guy.

I was at the meet n greet and a guy had lost his his aftershow pass. He was wearing a suit jacket over a t shirt. Did anybody know if he found his pass or got to meet vai? I felt so bad for that guy. :*(