REVIEWS: 30 SEP 2007 - ALEXANDRIA, VA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEWS: 30 SEP 2007 - ALEXANDRIA, VA

#1 Post by Jeroen » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:42 pm

Did you attend this show at the Birchmere Bandstand in Alexandria?

Please post your review of the show here. Steve and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Jeroen :)
vai.com

robergalis
Newcomer

AWESOME SHOW

#2 Post by robergalis » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28 pm

It was awesome!!!

Any body knows where to find the Steve Vai Foot Photo?

Jimmyann
Newcomer

I have met Aliens with violins, they landed in Alexandria

#3 Post by Jimmyann » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:53 pm

Ok, I just got back from the show, I waited till 1AM to meet Steve Vai, to have my 20yr old Flexible CD sgined, which he did thx (the clothes dont make the man, haha) and here's my review.

I have been a fan since the P.I.L. solo and Roth, it was my first show. Wow, Steve. :D :o :lol: 8)

First Zack is not to be missed a real prodigy, he was original an refreshing, Zack is what guitar playing is before it got comericialized, Clearchanneled and corporated. Just fun rock and roll on a old strat. Frank tarkenton great original song. I talked to Zack after the show at 130AM he was still carrying his strat, is it glue'd to his arm or something does he sleeps with it. Steve must run a tight ship, he was going into the bus to practice more I bet.

Steve hit the stage in his black cloke and vesace'est shades looking like rock and rolls style keeper, with the showman attitude to match. Steve took the crowd on a 2+ hour journey into his catalog, I was along for the ride. First of all, be front and center cause Steve personality comes off on stage, he is a real cool character that was not evident on the album. Every song Steve lets you feel and see the passion. My only wish is the stage was slighly higher, cause steve plays guitar that is visually stylistic and well as technically ingenious.

Alex and Ann Marie on violins, during the solo they really surprised me. They were smokin'. The devil is not going to make fiddle made of gold bets with these two, he'd lose.

Bryan and Dave were good compliments to steve's style, I would have like to see a monster bass solo from bryan ala victor wooton. he was playing his heart out during this show.

Jeremy was a chain smokin madman on drums. Sweat flying off his head, prison style tattos, great to watch. He's Animal from the muppets show a guy who is about to hit the dynamite. The banter between steve an jeremy was cool, and the bluemangrouped monster drumkit was a keeper, add more junk to that.

The encore was a highlight, Steve really let the Alien ship fly with a just inspiring solo. I was waiting for the attitude song, but I didn't miss it. The set is inspiring me to buy the albums I missed. A Great performance and band I'll be there for the next show when Steve Vai and Family come to town.

rgorke
Newcomer

#4 Post by rgorke » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:17 am

Yes, the show was awesome. The stage DOES need to be higher. Even at 6'2", I could barely see his guitar.

Is there anyway to get a set list? Some of the songs I did not recognize and may have missed which album they are on. Especially the first 3 or 4.

Thanks

baguiar
Newcomer

Amazing Show as always

#5 Post by baguiar » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:43 am

Was at the Birchmere last night. The show was amazing, as always. This was the fifth time I've seen him, going back to Roth, Whitesnake, G3 and other solo shows. This was the best I've seen.
The chemistry with everyone in the band is incredible. To be able to see him in this small of a venue was great. You could see all of the emotion that goes into his playing(and everyone else as well). I'll be in New England later this week and will be going to Lupo's to see him again!!

For those of you looking for Steve's Foot Photo it's in the tour blog on his site.

vaigirl777

#6 Post by vaigirl777 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 am

I was at the show and I'd like to say first how great Vai fans are, I go to a lot of concerts and Vai fans are the nicest, courteous and friendly fans around. I've never once been shoved around or pushed against the front railing, everyone is very cival to one another and I experience that at no other shows.

That being said EVO was great, thanks to Mikey for all his work, as always I leave inspired, I'm not a great player and will never be at the level of Steve but I play for me, for the love of music and it doesn't matter to me whether I'm good or not but seeing him always makes me want to make more time in my life for my guitar. The show was phenomenal, the energy and passion coming from the stage, the band..AMAZING. I almost cried once or twice, seriously, because it was SO beautiful, Steve and the violins...WOW, which is an understatement but how many times can you say amazing? Loved hearing Firewall, All About Eve, those have always been favorites and I love to hear Steve sing, of course Whispering a Prayer and For the Love of God always leave me in awe. The entire set was great, I was thinking I couldn't have asked for a better set if I had chosen the songs myself. I wish we had been able to take pictures during the show. I never understand that at venues, I'm not taking them and selling them, I'm taking them for the memories but oh well, rules are rules. I did sneak a couple without a flash but they didn't turn out too well, a little fuzzy. Thanks Steve for the best show I've seen this year and for continuing to inspire. Well worth the 4 hour round trip drive! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Peace,
Heather

stefansantana
Newcomer

Set list

#7 Post by stefansantana » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:48 am

(found this on "REVIEWS: 24 SEP 2007 - BUFFALO, NY" post. I would like to think that it should be pretty close to it, please make any edits if you know otherwise)

Setlist:
______

1. (intro jam?)
2. Oooo
3. Building the Church
4. Tender Surrender
5. Firewall
6. The Crying Machine
7. Dave's solo spot
8. Die to Live
9. Freak Show Excess
10. Violin jam/Crossroads duel
11. All About Eve
12. Fire Garden Suite
13. Drum solo
14. The Audience is Listening
15. The Murder (?)
16. Juice
17. Whispering a Prayer
18. Fire Garden Suite (cont'd.)
-- encore --
19. Liberty
20. Answers
21. For the Love of God

Let us know if you have and/or know of any videos/pictures from this show :)

STEVE VAI IS AWESOME LIVE!!!!

Great show. I got a guitar pick! V ! A ! I !

Could see him real close. Real nice, humble, charismatic guy, plays like a GOD, does all the crazy stuff you see him doing in the videos live... like smacking the CRAP outta his guitar... Me and my wife got to see him (my second - I saw him G3-1996)

shredder777

#8 Post by shredder777 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:08 pm

All I can say is that was great. Especially being so up close, it was kind of like his last show there but a better vibe. All the players were great, and Vai was really on. I loved towards the end he hit a wrong note on some song and made a funny face, haha his personality is so funny.

Anways I thought the lights, sound and everything was awesome. The emotion Steve puts into the songs is incredible. I have been a huge Vai fan for years, and have always loved playing his songs, so it was just a great treat. Til next time! 8)

toneshun

Re: AWESOME SHOW

#9 Post by toneshun » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:27 am

robergalis wrote:It was awesome!!!

Any body knows where to find the Steve Vai Foot Photo?
just browsing around the site, looking for it as well...apparently, it's in Steve's own tour blog page:

http://www.vai.com/tourblog/index.html

** folks, anymore photos that you took at the show?? would be nice to see from the audience perspective :D

Metalmike117
Newcomer

#10 Post by Metalmike117 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:08 pm

What time did Vai hit the stage? I am gonna be late for the Boston show. Anyone know what time?

laplaine

Great show as always

#11 Post by laplaine » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:51 am

The venue doesn't do justice to the band and setup, but always a pleasure getting to see Vai live. This was my second EVO, and it's a real privilege, thanks Mikey and Steve. I know Steve was thinking of an album with this band and I would be into that, I thought they were tight and had good chemistry.

See you next tour.

HeadacheBR

#12 Post by HeadacheBR » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:55 pm

This was my first Vai concert!

I've been a fan of him for 3 years now (which is not that much comparing to other people but..).

Anyways, the concert itself was great! Steve made sure that he looked in everyone's eyes through the concert... I really felt like he was playing just for me you know.. It was the greatest feeling ever.

The band members are very energetic. I was always checking on the other members while they weren't in the spotlight and they were always laughing and enjoying the show! Ann and Alex did a great "violin battle" I must say? lol I really liked it! (Btw Alex, if you are reading this, you still own me a favor after that ride to the hotel... :twisted: ).

During Tender Surrender (my favorite song of all times btw), I cried. Yes... you played it with so much passion that I couldn't hold it.. I actually got a little :oops: cuz I realized Ann was looking at me while I was crying.. But it's okay, she understands it.. hopefully xD

PS.: If Steve is reading this, I am sorry to ask that question about your underwear, but after Alex told me to, I couldn't resist :roll:

PS.2: I am the guy with the brazilian (yellow) shirt :P

jeffrey
Newcomer

#13 Post by jeffrey » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:45 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I remember seeing you take him in your car back to the hotel :lol:

6 months on and I'm still blown away thinking about the show. It was top notch! I have some photos if anyone is interested.