REVIEWS: 23 SEP 2007 - TORONTO, ON

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

REVIEWS: 23 SEP 2007 - TORONTO, ON

#1 Post by Jeroen » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:15 pm

Did you attend this show at the Massey Hall in Toronto?

Please post your review of the show here. Steve and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Jeroen
vai.com

GrazZ

#2 Post by GrazZ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:10 pm

wow, quite possibly the best show i've ever seen. The new band was pretty impressive and Steve was ON tonight.

The highlights of the show were definitely Freakshow Excess; that was absolutely ridiculous, Whispering a Prayer and the standing ovation afterwards, and the dual violin solo was incredible...not to mention Ann Marie is soooooooo hot ;)

the only thing i would add would be to possibly turn up Dave, there were times when he might as well have not been playing since you just couldn't hear him.

all in all it was just an extremely good show, 10/10 for sure

davester1234

#3 Post by davester1234 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:10 pm

The show was a blast!

Every one did a terrific job tonight, and Steve got the crowd going as only he can.

The end of Whispering a Prayer was really touching. Steve definitely captured the audience with that song, and I think our response touched Steve. It was a magic moment.

As always, Steve was ridiculously good. He makes everything look so easy. Everyone's solo spots were interesting and fun, and equally impressive. Eugene's Trick Bag for violin anyone? ;) Amazing.

it was nice to see Mikey out and about taking photos as well! Mikey, I would have loved to say hi, but I couldn't find ya! Next time!

All in all, the concert kicked serious ass. Best money I've spent in a long while.

the queen without a king

#4 Post by the queen without a king » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:25 pm

I had such a great time tonight. Steve is one of the most entertaining/talented musicians ever.

One of the many highlights was Tender Surrender...so great to hear it live and so well done!!!! The crowd had a little chuckle with Steve's usual sense of humour...when he was introducing the band he started doing some James-Brown-like moves and remarked that he's 'bought a lot of James Brown DVDs lately' :lol:

Overall, Steve was spot on...and the sound was great. I have to say that although I prefer the lineup with The Breed, I found that Steve wasn't drowned out this time around and I could make out every note. Kudos to Steve for trying something different and constanly evolving. I can't wait for Steve's next visit!!

Anyone have the setlist for the show?

Tobacco Road

#5 Post by Tobacco Road » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:58 am

Speechless, i don't even know where to begin! So lets start off with the whole EVO experience. That alone was entirely amazing. From the whole discussion, to autographs to pictures, not to mention being able to hold EVO, it was very touching to think of all the history it holds and all the emotions Steve has poured out of it over the years. Followed by this was sound check which was another interesting experince on it's own. Finally the show began, and I must edmit it was alot better then i could of ever expected. I was left in total awe and laughter throughout most of the show. One of the many highlights was when Steve let me take a guitar pick from his guitar while he was playing, just wanted to thank you Steve, more then i could of asked for. I was the long blond haired dude in the front row, just wanted to thank you for that. Anyway im still trying to digest what I seen tonight, so i'll add to this post when im thinking a little big clearer

Heavyd
Newcomer

Toronto Show

#6 Post by Heavyd » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:46 am

Wow.
I went to the EVO as a suprise for my brother. Steve was incredibly gracious to everyone and passing around EVO was pretty cool. Funniest thing about EVO was this guy who has a huge GEM collection and showed a picture to Steve and Steve was like a kid with Hockey Cards saying "got it, need it, need it, got it, got 2 of those etc"
The show converted me from a casual fan to a hungry for Steve's licks fan. That guy made it look so easy and the band smoked. Had a chance to talk to the keyboard player before the show and he was as gracious as Steve.
Dave Weiner was awesome, playing guitar is Steve's band must be cool(no pressure)
Cant wait for the next show.
Peace
Dave

Robo-Rocker
Newcomer

#7 Post by Robo-Rocker » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:02 am

This was the first time I saw Steve play since G3 (about 5 years ago at Massey Hall). I am so thrilled he broke away from that and went on his own. I've been praying for this for years - bewildered why he never took an earlier initiative but pleased to see the attendance at Massey Hall was equal or greater to that of the G3 gig. Satriani is great, but why Steve ever opened for him is beyond me.

There's been thousands of reviews here, so why go off and say Steve and Co. blew our fragile Canadian minds when it's already implied. :) The show started off a little out of whack, and I am presuming this had something to do with not having enough time for a pre-show sound check, when the stage techs started making tech sound pollution right after the opening comedy number by some contemporary Yahoo Serious. When Steve came out and started riffing, the background band was really lost in the mix. It was like bad instrumental karaoke for the first 3 or 4 tunes. It eventually balanced out and then Vai really started to cook from about mid-show (the acoustic segment from Firegarden) and beyond that. I really was thankful Steve didn't dive into The Attitude Song at any point. Very good call on his part. It's a great song, but would have been too out of place with the selections they are perform.

I am very surprised Vai tolerates smoking on stage. Being an ex-smoker myself, I know how annoying the smell can be, even if the cigarette is 50 feet away, you can still smell it. But more importantly, there is a serious smoking bylaw in all public buildings that applies to everyone (staff, performers, patrons). They could face serious fines if they allow anyone to smoke in the venue. Massey Hall has a lot of heritage - would be nice to see that heritage respected.

Bottom line. The show is great and his backing band does a great job at supporting him. Steve showcases everyone in the band at some point in the night. He's a great guy that way! Ann Marie Calhoun is a babe in that black dress. Her legs are stunning! *drool* She could play the air violin, and she'd still have my attention most of the evening. :lol:

Audios!

davester1234

#8 Post by davester1234 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 am

I'd like to add that steve did a fantastic job beating the house's curfew. He had to rush the last few songs due to 'house rules', but they sounded great and the fans were thrilled!

sheerluck
Newcomer

Massey Hall Meltdown

#9 Post by sheerluck » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:59 pm

An amazing show...!

We were sitting most of the time cuz our knees were weak and jaws stuck to the floor....

a life altering experience!

the only drag was the poor merchandising...one guy selling for 3000 people!!

and of course, all large sweatshirts were sold instantly as well as the black with green logo t-shirts...

does anyone know where to get hold of these? the site doesn't have updated tour merchandise on it

Albert
Newcomer

#10 Post by Albert » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:17 pm

An awesome show once again. My fifth Vai concert and definitely one of the best. The whole band had so much energy and the way Steve connects with the audience is amazing. Everything from the way he moves around on stage to his little jokes that he tells between songs just makes it so entertaining. This is what sets him miles apart from guys like Satriani and E. Johnson: his showmanship. I'm a big fan of both those guys, but their on-stage performances can be quite dull compared to Vai.

The new band members were great. Ann Marie and Alex were just incredible on the violins. Bryan did a nice job on the bass (in the beginning I thought John Petrucci was playing bass because they look kinda similar) LOL!!

I hope Steve does another north American tour again soon. I can't wait for the next one. And I hope he always plays at Massey Hall. I just love that venue.

sdmfer
Newcomer

#11 Post by sdmfer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:51 pm

You know what folks, I wasnt that impressed this time. Not sure why, it just didnt do it for me that much this time around.

- I miss the older band, with sheehan
- Violin stuff was wicked and a nice change,
- not sure why dave weiner is there, he plays good, but his solo spot kinda stinked. Not to be a dik, but i dont find him that impressive other than the fact that he plays the vai tunes very well (which we all know can be extremely tricky), my buddy who i was there with mentioned this as well and said I would have been way better with him...lol. Not to toot my own horn, but a) it was a nice compliment, and b) hey!, you know what? who knows...maybe could be better...lol
- i really wish he would have had lotus notes on the set list

sorry folks, dont mean to bitch so much, but again, this time around was "meh" "blah" etc. Mind you Im sure it would have been amazing for a first time vai concert attendee, but ive seen him now every time in Toronto (including the g3 stuff) since the ultra zone tour when it was at the government (if i remember correctly).

Anyways, just wanted to post my thoughts. Later dudes.

ps - still love the dude, and will go again for sure...maybe some of you may agree with some of my points above though...

Tobacco Road

#12 Post by Tobacco Road » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:02 pm

sdmfer wrote:You know what folks, I wasnt that impressed this time. Not sure why, it just didnt do it for me that much this time around.

- I miss the older band, with sheehan
- Violin stuff was wicked and a nice change,
- not sure why dave weiner is there, he plays good, but his solo spot kinda stinked. Not to be a dik, but i dont find him that impressive other than the fact that he plays the vai tunes very well (which we all know can be extremely tricky), my buddy who i was there with mentioned this as well and said I would have been way better with him...lol. Not to toot my own horn, but a) it was a nice compliment, and b) hey!, you know what? who knows...maybe could be better...lol
- i really wish he would have had lotus notes on the set list

sorry folks, dont mean to bitch so much, but again, this time around was "meh" "blah" etc. Mind you Im sure it would have been amazing for a first time vai concert attendee, but ive seen him now every time in Toronto (including the g3 stuff) since the ultra zone tour when it was at the government (if i remember correctly).

Anyways, just wanted to post my thoughts. Later dudes.

ps - still love the dude, and will go again for sure...maybe some of you may agree with some of my points above though...
Im sure there are plenty of reaons why Dave is in the Vai band espically after this many years,so he can't stink that bad, not to mention STEVE VAI'S choice for having him in it is alot more valid then yours.

sdmfer
Newcomer

#13 Post by sdmfer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Im sure it IS more valid. Just stating my opinion.

davester1234

#14 Post by davester1234 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:23 pm

I quite liked Dave's solo spot. Nice choice of notes throughout.

GroovinMastiff
Newcomer

#15 Post by GroovinMastiff » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:39 am

This was my first Vai concert and I must say that I was blown away! I've been listening to Vai's music for a while, but seeing him and his amazing perform in the flesh was stunning. Steve and the whole band were really tight tonight, and it will be a memory that I will cherish for a while to come.

Zack, the opening act, was an amazing young guitar player, I've never seen anyone who played guitar like him. He inspired me to develop my finger-picking abilities more.

The Evo experience was quite a treat. Kudos to Mikey and the crew for putting together this opportunity for the fans. And Steve, if you ever read this, thank you for answering me and my brother's questions with such clarity and detail, we really appreciate the advice that we got form you.

I got to meet the rest of the band after the show, and they were all really cool. They weren't stuck up and they didn't have a "rock star attitude". They were all very friendly people who were willing to chat about anything music related. Thanks guys for being so cool and laid back and for autographing my stuff, Steve really hit a home run in picking you guys.

All in all, if you've never been to a Vai show, you gotta go, it won't let you down 8)

-Parth.