REVIEWS: 07 SEP 2007 - LAS VEGAS, NV

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

REVIEWS: 07 SEP 2007 - LAS VEGAS, NV

#1 Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:58 pm

Did you see this show at the House of Blues in Las Vegas, NV?

Please post your review of the show here. Steve and the band love reading your reviews.

Please do not post in this thread if you did not attend the show.

Mikey :)
vai.com

Vegas_Blues

#2 Post by Vegas_Blues » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:06 am

Just got back from the show.
Great show indeed. Nice to see the guys back in the states.
I really enjoyed the setlist this time around. Great song choice. Steve was fantastic, and the band was great.
Thanks, Mikey, for the aftershow, it was great as always.
Very nice that everytime I talk to Steve, he remembers me. :wink:

KillerArtist

#3 Post by KillerArtist » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:14 am

Where, oh where, do I start? :D :shock:

The Show

I couldn't have picked a better set list if my life depended on it. Vai and the gang played everyone of my favorite songs. I can't for the life of me remember ever song that was played, but it was pretty close, if not exact, to the European shows. Like I told Steve after the show I loved how he changed things up this tour and brought in Alex DePue and Ann Marie Calhoun. What immense roaster of talent those two are. Along with the rest of the band of course.

Highlights of the show for me were:
Tender Surrender, which had the audience in awe. I remember looking at one of the HOB's security guard and he was watching with his mouth open. Building the Church came on shortly after that--If I remember correctly--and was nothing short of miraculous. Then of course Die to Live which knocks my socks off every time I hear it came through after a little improv. by Vai. That was the first time seeing that song live, so it was a great honor. The Crying Machine has to be one of my favorite Vai songs and those cool violin breaks from Ann were nothing sort of beautiful. I've seen Whispering a Prayer once before at the G3 concert back in 03 and that was what got me hooked on Steve and it DID NOT disappoint last night. Then finally came For the Love of God and the intro with Anne playing the main theme like on Sound Theories just sent shivers down my spin.

I loved how Steve kept saying, "Will play just one more for ya, how 'bout that?" And after the first time he said it until the end of the show they must of played five more songs :lol:

Aftershow

When the show finally ended I waited for everyone to shuffle out of the establishment so I could go up stairs for the meet and greet. I was one of the first ones up so I got a drink a waited around for a while. Finally people started to come in and the first people I talked to were Mr. and Mrs. Weiner. It happened to be Mr. Weiner's birthday and I introduce myself and chatted with him for a little bit before Dave came over. Dave signed my booklet and chatted with me multiple times that night. I can't say enough nice things about Dave and his kindness. From there I meet Ann who was unbelievably sweet and caring; something that is equally proportional to her smile. I talked with her the most and for the longest of anyone else(I wonder why?). I liked her audition story. :lol: From there I meet Bryan Beller who surprisingly( :wink: ) was a gentlemen as well and chatted with me about his "break" in the business and his audition.

Then finally came Steve, who, as always, was a great and kind man who deserves praise for just being himself. I got a picture with him and my booklet signed and asked him a couple questions which he happily answered.

I just want to thank everyone who was involved with that night. I appreciate everything that was done. The show went off with out a glitch.. well, maybe one, but who's counting? :wink:

....my reviews not over... I got to walk Ann downstairs towards the bus. :twisted: :P

side note: I didn't catch the name of the kind person who took my picture with Steve, but if you read this let me know who you are. I'll be expecting those pics by early next week. :twisted: 8)

hrind
Newcomer

#4 Post by hrind » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:21 am

KillerArtist wrote:Where, oh where, do I start? :D :shock:

The Show

I couldn't have picked a better set list if my life depended on it. Vai and the gang played everyone of my favorite songs. I can't for the life of me remember ever song that was played, but it was pretty close, if not exact, to the European shows. Like I told Steve after the show I loved how he changed things up this tour and brought in Alex DePue and Ann Marie Calhoun. What immense roaster of talent those two are. Along with the rest of the band of course.

Highlights of the show for me were:
Tender Surrender, which had the audience in awe. I remember looking at one of the HOB's security guard and he was watching with his mouth open. Building the Church came on shortly after that--If I remember correctly--and was nothing short of miraculous. Then of course Die to Live which knocks my socks off every time I hear it came through after a little improv. by Vai. That was the first time seeing that song live, so it was a great honor. The Crying Machine has to be one of my favorite Vai songs and those cool violin breaks from Ann were nothing sort of beautiful. I've seen Whispering a Prayer once before at the G3 concert back in 03 and that was what got me hooked on Steve and it DID NOT disappoint last night. Then finally came For the Love of God and the intro with Anne playing the main theme like on Sound Theories just sent shivers down my spin.

I loved how Steve kept saying, "Will play just one more for ya, how 'bout that?" And after the first time he said it until the end of the show they must of played five more songs :lol:

Aftershow

When the show finally ended I waited for everyone to shuffle out of the establishment so I could go up stairs for the meet and greet. I was one of the first ones up so I got a drink a waited around for a while. Finally people started to come in and the first people I talked to were Mr. and Mrs. Weiner. It happened to be Mr. Weiner's birthday and I introduce myself and chatted with him for a little bit before Dave came over. Dave signed my booklet and chatted with me multiple times that night. I can't say enough nice things about Dave and his kindness. From there I meet Ann who was unbelievably sweet and caring; something that is equally proportional to her smile. I talked with her the most and for the longest of anyone else(I wonder why?). I liked her audition story. :lol: From there I meet Bryan Beller who surprisingly( :wink: ) was a gentlemen as well and chatted with me about his "break" in the business and his audition.

Then finally came Steve, who, as always, was a great and kind man who deserves praise for just being himself. I got a picture with him and my booklet signed and asked him a couple questions which he happily answered.

I just want to thank everyone who was involved with that night. I appreciate everything that was done. The show went off with out a glitch.. well, maybe one, but who's counting? :wink:

....my reviews not over... I got to walk Ann downstairs towards the bus. :twisted: :P

side note: I didn't catch the name of the kind person who took my picture with Steve, but if you read this let me know who you are. I'll be expecting those pics by early next week. :twisted: 8)
Wow. Great review. I'll be seeing Steve this monday and can't wait. you said the set list was similar to the European shows. Did they play Ooooo or All about Eve?

How many people showed up for the meet and greet last night?

Cheers.

Howard

KillerArtist

#5 Post by KillerArtist » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:08 pm

hrind wrote: Wow. Great review. I'll be seeing Steve this monday and can't wait. you said the set list was similar to the European shows. Did they play Ooooo or All about Eve?
To be completely honest I don't remember. I think they played "All About Eve". :?

hrind wrote: How many people showed up for the meet and greet last night?
Roughly 25-30 at the most. The last time I did one of those meet and greets for Vai a plethora of people showed up. So, it was rather small and intimate this time around.

Hope that answers your questions. Have fun on Monday!

Vegas_Blues

#6 Post by Vegas_Blues » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Yes, they played 'All About Eve' and it was unbelievable :O
They also played 'Oooo'

bob mac

#7 Post by bob mac » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:15 am

Is the set-list the same as it was over sea's??

mvpdistributing
Newcomer

#8 Post by mvpdistributing » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:29 pm

:D HAPPY 19th ANNIVERSARY STEVE! Here he is out on the road taking care of us. I hope he sent her a big boquet of flowers and something sparkley to keep her happy!

Everybody loves Steve and the guys! There was no lack of excitement during this one at all. Steve's voice just gets better and better as well and All About Eve was impressive. I think he just gets better each time! He is a culmination of talent and humility, recognizing his gifts but thanking God at the same time. Lotus Feet, right!

ONE BIG HINT for everyone planning to attend in the future. I promise the concert is much more enjoyable and memorable if you are sober, I'm sure Steve would agree.

Mike, have fun in seeing your family back in Australia and make sure we get an address to send Steve the vegan biscotti my wife is making for him.

wattam

Concert in Vegas

#9 Post by wattam » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:49 pm

I bask in the glow of Steve's concerts for days afterwards and as always, he never disappoints!

First, if you have the chance to get an EVO ticket you really need to do it. We were so lucky that the band had gotten in the day before so instead of going to sound check after the Q & A, we just did Q & A with Steve the whole time! The cool part is that it gave the attendees the chance to ask profound questions as well as fun questions - like, 'Do you dance'! The man is just so down to earth, and personal, and not afraid to answer any question and really share how he feels about anything. We talked about touring and the differences in cultures and they way they respond to the band - to the kind of wood used in the necks of the guitars - to what is happening with the Favored Nations label. The ladies loved hearing him talk about his wife and his kids too! You just couldn't ask for something more intimate and for a chance to feel that you really know Steve a little......That is, until Showtime! That's when you really get to know Steve and I personally think the most intimate thing a musican can do is play for you...because if you really listen and go along for the ride, they share their soul with you....just a piece....and it is the most amazing thing to experience!

The new band is lots of fun! I LOVE the violinists! I especially love that one primarily played an electric violin and the other a tradition one. The sounds are totally different as are their approaches to playing the instrument. You have to hear it to really appreciate it but this was a real compliment to Steve's playing and to the music. Just creates a different sound. And I applaud Steve and the violinists for taking the risks with their solo time....could go either way with an audience but on both concerts I attended (including the Tempe one the following night) the audience went wild for these two musicians!

I love live concerts because they are imperfect and you never know what is going to not work like you want and how an artists reacts to the unexpected shows their true talent! Steve's playing was wonderful, as usual, and the set list was great. I was a little afraid we would not get my favorite pieces because you know he just must get tired of playing FTLOG and Whispering each time - but it just wouldn't be a VAI show without them - so thanks Steve!

A side note - I do not see how they do this night after night. I treated myself to two back to back shows and I was exhausted getting up the next morning to catch a flight to Phoenix and get to that show! Can't wait to fly back home to Baton Rouge on Monday so I can get some rest!!!

ArnnyVaiHalen
Newcomer

#10 Post by ArnnyVaiHalen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:15 am

This is my second Evo Experience and like I told Steve that day, it be worth it even if it was just the meet and greet and he did not played a single note. Fortunately he did play and as ussual he kicked everyones @$$ off. My personal favorite song from steve is Tender Surrender and watching him play it live was a momentous occasion for me.

I though that I wasn't going to like the 'violin' aspect of the new band but man was I worng. They even played a little of Eugene's Bag of Tricks. It was awesome.

Mike as always a great guy and realy on top of his game.

And if all this wasn't enough he even signed my Jem 20th.

Thanks Steve.

1yahoo
Newcomer

Wow

#11 Post by 1yahoo » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:33 pm

The concert was unbelievable!! Steve and the bands performance was breathtaking to say the least.. I have been to many concerts before but this one topped all of them. Thats why we came from Calgary to see Steve and Co. Plus we got to meet him as well. He is just as nice in person as he is playing guitar. Even though it is so hard to talk to someone you regard in high standing . It was a dream come true to meet the guy and all the cool people that we there.. Thats one thing with Steve's fans is that we all care about great music and everyone seems like family... cheers to everyone, it was priceless!!!!!