REVIEWS: G3'03 - 20 October, 2003: DENVER, CO

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
jeffertz
Newcomer

How about this for a review... go to this web site, it it from the professional photographer who took pics of the show, (first 3 songs of each) They are really cool shots, you can see right thru Steve's lacey outfit! http://www.scottshotsphotos.com There is a section for the G3 performace.
I also said i got a hold of Steve's set list. Here it is.
1. Triple-Neck 2. New Song 3. The Reaper 4. Juice 5. Whispering a Prayer 6. Bangkok (which is blackend/scratched out!) 7. Get the Hell out of Here STEVE SOLO 8. For the Love of God Extras: 1. Fire 2. Jibboom 3. Giant Balls (i don't know what the extras mean, but pretty sure he didn't play them)
I am going to post a request to keep the entire concert on the dvd, instead of the first G3 DVD where they only played 3 songs each. Please look for it and let your voices be heard!
Yngvai MacWeiner
Newcomer

Great pics! Did you post the link in the picture thread also?
TheMakerJCM
Newcomer

It's been mentioned many times, the show started late... 1 1/2 hours is a generous estimate, it seemed considerably later to me.

The stage began with a wall of ancient marshalls stacked high and more drums on a drumkit than any guy alive could use. This could only mean that Yngwie Malmsteen was to talk on stage first.

Yngwie, much to the disappointment on many on this board drank heavily, but it all appeared to be water. Yngwie is not in the shape necessary to perform and drink alcohol at the same time.

Many of you may recall that Yngwie was a thin, energetic performer from the 80's. It's sad to say that neither he nor Bruce Springsteen have advanced their acts much since then. The first song was impressive and his surrounding musicians were skilled. The keyboardist was particularly strong. Yngwie can move his fingers pretty darn quick. Sadly, the second song sounded much like the first... which sounded much like the 6th. I had trouble distinguishing between them as the sounds of composers, long since dead, came startlingly to life even though surrounded by maniacal keys, double bass and a wall of vintage marshall. I am sure that I have studied Yngwie songs in my classical appreciation classes when I was back in school.

Yngwie's set was ... too long. He kicked an impressive 2 to 3 feet off the ground, which with his current age and physique is actually a relatively impressive feat. As I said, he and Springsteen can keep the guitar-swinging antics for all I care. Before the end of the set, the Duck was retired in favour of a Squire Strat and that meant only one thing. Death to the Squire Strat. Sure enough, dead Strat pieces were tossed to the crowd to join the dozens of Yngwie picks that flew with surprising regularity into the shouting throngs. That's throngs, not thongs. Just to be clear I saw no thongs.

Steve Vai is simply that... I have very little to say about this man and his guitar playing. He personifies what I have always envisioned being with my own guitaring. A showman, and performer, a truly gifted musician and seemingly a nice guy to boot. Billy was awesome, the rest of the musicians he elected to surround himself with on this tour were top notch and unlike Yngwie, he decided to introduce them to the crowd. He played the songs I wanted to hear and a couple that surprised me a little and in comparison to Yngwie's set that seemed to last forever, Vai's was just way too short! To give you some idea of how he was received at the end of his set, he was unable to say anything for at least 5 minutes... and that's not an exageration... due to the applause he received. The noice was unreal, putting any professional football fans to shame.

Joe Satriani was as polished and professional as ever. Though I missed Stu Hamm, his band was as good as it gets. He played all the best songs and from my perspective, his sound was the best.

I have seen Joe enough times that it's really no big deal.. sorry Joe :)

So there you go...

The jam at the end was awful. I thought it would be cool, but it wasn't. It was loud to the point of distortion in all frequencies and to be honest, Yngwie stomped and stomped and stomped on all the other musicians. Billy took a break, which was a shame. I can imagine that Joe and Steve will not invite Yngwie to the next G3 tour.
steeda

Joe and Steve have never invited the same artist twice genius. That's not the G3 concept.
Pro-string strummer

I saw the DVD, it's pretty sick, Joe killed it with potato head goove thing, and satch boogie, and man Vai with the triple neck, man he REALLY killed it, starting off slow then playing with him self (haaha) crazy guitaring there, then played I'm the hell outa here with some extra flare, crazy shit, a little duel there too.
Yngwie is a diff. story, I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, he's amazing, but for a g3 show, he didn't really fit, mad fast leads and hardcore shit. Then i don't want to say "ruin" but Yngwie etched a bit of "fat flare" into the Hendrix Covers, while it sounds decent, he fired a solo which wsn't called for. Not bad performance tho, I love Vai's and Sat's playing, Yngwie is amazing too but maybe should go to another type of guitar tour... I would also like to say a G3 should come to ontario Canada, that would be fucken wicked
RickAllen

G3 was in Toronto on November 6th, 2003.
lukathergod999
Newcomer

to the good doctor who says vai and satch would be out of a job if it wasnt for electricity. You suck and probably so does your guitar playing and your hearing. Face it yngwie has no talent and i figured that out at 16. Pity you are still probably 30. Have another listen chump.
Pro-string strummer

I farted
Mitch1616

steeda wrote:Joe and Steve have never invited the same artist twice genius. That's not the G3 concept.
what are u talking about??? eric johson has been in g3 more then once! and its joe who invites people, vai has just been in it a lot! (deservingly)

and whats all this crap about yngwie not having any sense of musicality????? if he could write music, he wouldnt be where he is today! If u cant tell the difference between his peices, ur tone deff! i like all three of these guitarists with nothing bad to say about any of them! Everyone is saying all yngwie cares about is speed? what the hell? no he doesnt, he just is fast! go to his website and read the "ask yngwie" he always tells people off if they ask stuff like "what is ur fastest song" or if they talk about how much they like the speed of a song!
god, the guy's favorite musician is niccolo paganini! that proves his musical sense right there!
Mitch1616

lukathergod999 wrote:to the good doctor who says vai and satch would be out of a job if it wasnt for electricity. You suck and probably so does your guitar playing and your hearing. Face it yngwie has no talent and i figured that out at 16. Pity you are still probably 30. Have another listen chump.
hahhahahahhahahhaaa so comepared to yngwie ur a god? just shut up! ur just makin urself look bad
i love the music of all these great guitarists! if u dont respect someone's obvious skill becauswe u dont like his music, u have nomusical sense what so ever!
And by saying Yngwie sucks, ur probably offending vai and satch more then u offend him. Since these guys chose Yngwie to play with them out of all the guitarists in the world! So by saying Yngwie sucks, u are greatly disagreeing with satch and vai

im no more of an yngwie fan then i am a vai or satch fan. These 3 people happen to be my 3 idols!

u sound u found out yngwie sucked at the age of 16 and that good doctor is probably 30. once again u made fun of vai and satch who are in there 40s...............

think before u speak my friend
dreamweaver
Newcomer

i saw the show and i have to say that vai blew me away. i've been a big fan having first heard him with zappa. i've always been an malmsteen fan but i have to agree that his set was to shrill and he does'nt seem to be doing any thing new. he is very fast but repetative. the dvd sounds better than his set did live . back to steve he's the most amazing guitarest i've seen . check out the newest dvd truly awsome . joe was way cool also. i hope malmsteen learned something about melody vs. speed cause i know he can play fast but sometimes thats not enough. peace, love and light, dreamweaver :shock: 8)
dreamweaver
Newcomer

i saw the show and i have to say that vai blew me away. i've been a big fan having first heard him with zappa. i've always been an malmsteen fan but i have to agree that his set was to shrill and he does'nt seem to be doing any thing new. he is very fast but repetative. the dvd sounds better than his set did live . back to steve he's the most amazing guitarest i've seen . check out the newest dvd truly awsome . joe was way cool also. i hope malmsteen learned something about melody vs. speed cause i know he can play fast but sometimes thats not enough. peace, love and light, dreamweaver :shock: 8)