REVIEWS: G3'03 - 20 October, 2003: DENVER, CO

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Rachel
Newcomer

The show started late because the entire sound board had to be replaced. It had "blown" after the last sound check. Can you imagine how heartbreaking and frustrating it would have been to have it happen during a show that was being filmed for posterity? The keyboardist for Yngwie said if a show at the Astoria would have started that late there would have been people throwing bottle caps and yelling, but the US fans were so very nice. (Now, you folks don't really do that, do you?) In fact, he said he really enjoyed this venue because of the open seating, noting that when fans are confined to seats it limits the interaction and feedback from them. When they have the feedback it energizes the band.

There were a few problems, which have been noted, but these guys are such professionals and perfectionists that most of us didn't even notice. This same keyboardist, which by the way, was fantasitic, said he couldn't hear the first two songs, so was playing "blindfolded", but I didn't notice anything unusual.

It was kinda sad to see all the faces of guitar lovers in the crowd when Yngwie smashed his guitar. Personally, I thought it was unnecessary, but I guess it will always make me remember him; kinda like a commercial that annoys you, but you still know the product. He didn't seem to be drinking much before the show, so maybe he was trying to be on his best behavior for the recording.

I know its the "big boys" most the fans want to see, but don't miss out on the incredible sounds coming from the other band members. Like I've said before, the keyboardist (he told me how to pronounce his name, but all I can remember is it starts with a "Y"; also from Sweden) was as fast as Yngwie on his instument of choice. Each member gets to do a little solo demo of their skills.

Likewise, Dave and Jeremy are great musicians in their own right and both are getting "in the grove" of stage presence. Steve, like Zappa, seems to like finding young talent to showcase in his band along with musical greats for the new guys to learn from.

All three headliners and many of the band members were around for the meet and greet. I have to let you Joe fans know what a wonderful hero you have chosen. He spent at least 10 minutes with this little 14 year old girl who's mother had brought her to the show. She had brought her guitar and played a little for him. He smiled at her and told her she was a lot better than he was at 14. I just thought it was sweet of him to take time to talk to this girl who obviously loved guitar. It almost seemed as if he was as inspired by her as she was by him.

The Jimi/Young tribute as the jam was so fitting. To see these men who had dedicated their lives to guitar and its possibilities play the songs they had probably listened to and spent days learning as kids now on a stage with fans cheering in adoration was truely amazing. All the hours and hours of practice are rewarded with the look of awe on the faces in the crowd.

For the female fans and soon-to-be fans- these guys are incredibly sexy (Steve kinda slinks across the stage and smiles that wicked smile playing The Animal - very hot) so if your boyfriend asks you to go to the show - Just go for it!

I remember seeing a thread somewhere on this message board about how to get people hooked on Vai - this show has successfully converted many people to fans of all three bands. I know a couple who went to the show not knowing anything about these guys and have already purchased the first of many Vai CDs.

The music, the stage show, the audience, and lets not forget those fabulous technicians that made the whole thing possible, was absolutely jaw-dropping - no words just a big smile and wide eyes.

A final note, since this is a Steve Vai website, not to slight the others, but what that boy can do with a whammy bar is unnatural.
jargon
Newcomer

Great show in Denver! The only bad part of the night was that they were having problems with the sound-board and didn't let people in until an hour after the show was supposed to start. But once it started, it was all worth it. Yngwie was fun to watch but he gets boring real quick as he only plays at one speed (insanely fast!) Vai's set was by far the best, not only because it was very different than previous tours, but also because he puts his heart and soul into everything he plays and his band was tremendous! The feedback and other soundscapes he creates are pure genious. Satriani's set was great, and while the set was fairly predictable, he can still take you to another world every time. Flying in a Blue Dream does it for me every time. The jam was great, but what happened to La Grange??
PaulEMoz

Rachel - Yngwie's keyboard player is Joakim Svalberg, but it is indeed pronounced with a 'Y', not a 'J'.
Im_The_Slime

Same J sound as in Johann Sebastian Bach, or Yngwie Johan Malmsteen one would think...
Almost like this Jo-y-kim
the good doctor
Newcomer

I took my bass-playing nephew to the Denver show. He is a classical bassist who is fond of all 3 players. After the surreal Yngwie set, I felt like I was watching Vai and his crew at the bottom of a 15 ft. swimming pool-- you know, slow and murky as hell. I've never slept so well! I mean, at a Physics conference you don't put Albert Einstein on first and then expect the boys from the movie Wierd Science to impress anyone do you? Such is the case, apparently, with this G3. I guess the guitarists amongst us are there for the extreme virtuosity supplied by Yngwie, and for the screaming little girls we have the martian music rendered by virtuoso Vai. One other thing, if it wasn't for electricity, Satch and Vai would be out of a job, for sure! Someone said this isn't their dream G3. Hey, mine either. I say let's get Yngwie, Al DiMeola, and just for fun, violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman. Sort of a G2V1 mixture.

By the way, I asked my nephew what he thought. He liked them all but said that Yngwie "owned". For combining speed with articulation and the best vibrato in music, no one comes close to our Maestro Yngwie J., in our humble opinions of course.
jargon
Newcomer

the good doctor wrote:I took my bass-playing nephew to the Denver show. He is a classical bassist who is fond of all 3 players. After the surreal Yngwie set, I felt like I was watching Vai and his crew at the bottom of a 15 ft. swimming pool-- you know, slow and murky as hell. I've never slept so well! I mean, at a Physics conference you don't put Albert Einstein on first and then expect the boys from the movie Wierd Science to impress anyone do you? Such is the case, apparently, with this G3. I guess the guitarists amongst us are there for the extreme virtuosity supplied by Yngwie, and for the screaming little girls we have the martian music rendered by virtuoso Vai. One other thing, if it wasn't for electricity, Satch and Vai would be out of a job, for sure! Someone said this isn't their dream G3. Hey, mine either. I say let's get Yngwie, Al DiMeola, and just for fun, violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman. Sort of a G2V1 mixture.

By the way, I asked my nephew what he thought. He liked them all but said that Yngwie "owned". For combining speed with articulation and the best vibrato in music, no one comes close to our Maestro Yngwie J., in our humble opinions of course.
I guess some people are into speed with no regard for musicality, originality, or style. Just MY humble opinion. :)
RickAllen

What exactly did Yngwie "own"? A pirate shirt? A beer-gut? That's the new catch-word of the year? I love Yngwie, but don't insult Vai or Joe. They could do fine without electric guitars. I'm not sure about Joe but Steve would do just fine with a pen and paper. Let's see Yng do that. Yes Yngwie has great tone and vibrato and speed, but he is the most repetitive guitarist around. He repeats those same old pedal tone licks and he's too lazy to try any new licks. When he wants to he can make the most amazing music, but it's so much easier to "improvise" as he calls it. Which just means play the licks he knows in his sleep. Thanks for the review.

You go ahead and enjoy G2V1. I'll stick to the Martian music. :roll:
satchvai

I can't wait to see some martian music at the Keswick on the 5th. I agree about malmsteen being a great technical player that just flies up and down the fretboard without much of a sense of musicality. Its one thing to demonstrate your chops, its quite another to use those chops to make effective music. I'm glad he's opening the show, as i don't feel his songs call for him being branded a "closer". He's good...and i am looking forward to seeing him..but it could have been anyone as the 3rd "G"...i mainly want to see Mr. Vai and satch...2 musicians who put song before speed....just my opinion... :roll:
Jai0705

the good doctor wrote:After the surreal Yngwie set, I felt like I was watching Vai and his crew at the bottom of a 15 ft. swimming pool-- you know, slow and murky as hell. I've never slept so well! I mean, at a Physics conference you don't put Albert Einstein on first and then expect the boys from the movie Wierd Science to impress anyone do you? Such is the case, apparently, with this G3. I guess the guitarists amongst us are there for the extreme virtuosity supplied by Yngwie, and for the screaming little girls we have the martian music rendered by virtuoso Vai. One other thing, if it wasn't for electricity, Satch and Vai would be out of a job, for sure!
I couldn't whole-heartedly disagree with you more.
steeda

without much of a sense of musicality. Its one thing to demonstrate your chops, its quite another to use those chops to make effective music.
Haven't heard much Yngwie I guess....

Have a listen:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... c&n=507846
the good doctor
Newcomer

I never downgraded anyone. In fact I called Vai a virtuoso. Luckily for you people, I'm back in Detroit for the show at the Palace and I'll be in Chicago on Friday for the show at The Riviera. Now let's see if I have this correct: whammy bar GOOD, sweep arpeggios played perfectly and at the speed of Yngwie (100 times faster than the speed of light) BAD. I'll try to remember that valuable information when I post my next review. You better warn the moderator of my existence.

Steeda, you couldn't have picked a better example of musical virtuosity. What's even better is the Live Concerto with the New Japan Philharmonic on DVD. Yngwie's acoustic guitar prowess is showcased beautifully on this recording. This concert was Yngwie's crowning glory, and he is the only one who could pull it off with such excellence.
Jai0705

the good doctor wrote:This concert was Yngwie's crowning glory, and he is the only one who could pull it off with such excellence.
Of course...and Vai is the only one that could pull off a Vai set, and Satch is the only one that could do justice to a Satch set. Each person has his own style, and they are the best at that style -- they are the best at what they do. That's really not something that can be argued with.
Yngvai MacWeiner
Newcomer

the good doctor wrote: Steeda, you couldn't have picked a better example of musical virtuosity. What's even better is the Live Concerto with the New Japan Philharmonic on DVD. Yngwie's acoustic guitar prowess is showcased beautifully on this recording. This concert was Yngwie's crowning glory, and he is the only one who could pull it off with such excellence.
For the Love of God! Where can I get this dvd? Its insane that I dont have this recording...I started thinking it was just a rumor because I never saw anything about it anywhere..(!)

I tried to say this via PM but my browser simply wouldnt let me, so sorry to hijack..but ANYTHING is better than listening to people bashing ANY of these cream of the crop musicians included in this historical edition of G3(or 4)

I'll try not to get into this as all 4 of them (Get Tony's Maximum Security album!!!) at one time or another was actually my no. 1 guitar hero...
yyazic1
Newcomer

Yngvai MacWeiner wrote:Come on! More reviews! If you're not registered but saw this show, I can assure you it only takes a second to register! Let us folks living on G3-less (or G4 really) continents know what the dvd material is gonna be like compared to the other shows! Please! I really enjoy reading these reviews!

The best entry will win a worn out Yngvai MacWeiner pick plus an autographed cdr of me unsuccessfully trying to tune my guitar before soloing in E minor over yngwie Eb minor songs!.... :? :mrgreen: If preferred, winner may also choose to receive just a simple "thank you" from yours truly... ;)
Oh man! This was the funniest post I've ever read. Cool name, too. I'm still in tears of laughter. God bless you brother, where are you from?
Yngvai MacWeiner
Newcomer

yyazic1 wrote:
Yngvai MacWeiner wrote:Come on! More reviews! If you're not registered but saw this show, I can assure you it only takes a second to register! Let us folks living on G3-less (or G4 really) continents know what the dvd material is gonna be like compared to the other shows! Please! I really enjoy reading these reviews!

The best entry will win a worn out Yngvai MacWeiner pick plus an autographed cdr of me unsuccessfully trying to tune my guitar before soloing in E minor over yngwie Eb minor songs!.... :? :mrgreen: If preferred, winner may also choose to receive just a simple "thank you" from yours truly... ;)
Oh man! This was the funniest post I've ever read. Cool name, too. I'm still in tears of laughter. God bless you brother, where are you from?
I'm glad for every face I can crack up bro! I'm happily and shamelessly shredding away in the midst of Oslo; the capital of Norway. I guess "guitaristically", our neighbour country; SWEDEN, may be more familiar for some (harmonic) minor reasons I wont tap into at this pedal point in time. I wont risk ending up with a thread diminished in quality due to me not knowing how the proper use of silence can avoid cacophony and dissonance...as my only intonation is to stay in tune with the good bros at this online sounding board. :)