REVIEWS: G3'03 - 20 October, 2003: DENVER, CO

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator777

Post your reviews of this show here! Hope you had a great time!

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Willin

Someone post a review! :P Did they film the show?!
For the Love of Dave
Newcomer

First, LATE start? I heard the soundboard burnt up? Who knows... The show was 1 1/2 hours late?

God, where to start..

Yngwie, I read that people say he's stuck in the 80's.. YEP! BUT that's what makes him cool.. The MOFO is fast.. Very fun, loud set.. I went to see Vai and came out with more respect for Yngwie.. IMO, He's use to being top dog on a bill and is Still learning to play nice with others.. Kind of a stage hog. Funny 3rd place

STEVE F'n VAI......Thats who...

THIS IS THE BEST STEVE HAS EVER BEEN.. WOW.. I've seen Steve 7+ times maybe.. And I've never seen him this Great.. Looked cool, sounded cool, is cool. It's VAI... Well worth the ticket price.. I only wish he could have played longer.. This is the BEST vai band.. Tony, Billy, Dave and the ?? drummer.. PLEASE TOUR AGAIN with this line up.. He played a new? song that really kicked ass.. He's a rock start. 1st place

JOE..... Well, How he keeps the same tone and sound quality, ? Master of the Guitar I guess. .. I've never seen or heard of a bad Joe Show.. I missed Stu... :( A "new" song sounded really good. 2nd place

JAM..
Fun and Loud.... ONLY problem.. NO Tony or Billy? What the fukc? It was nice to see each one showing off their chops.. Each guitar players tone and style and sound really came thru..
Stange note: I kept seeing confeti (spelling?) falling from the light rafters. Like there was going to be a confeti canon at the end of the show? NOPE? Kind of strange.

This was my 4th? G3.. Best one since the birth of the show with Johnson..

FILM? Yes, I saw 5 cameras. Joe said it's gonna be a DVD? So I hope so..

The Good: The Show, just a kick ass guitar show.. And Vai

The Bad: Late start, Went to buy 2 posters and the f'n sold out. What the? Mikey, can you help me buy 2?

The Ugly: All the guitar egos.. Not on stage, in the crowd.. "Yeah, blah blah blah, he was sharp on the 15th fret of e, you hear that dude" What ever you god damn freeks. Enjoy the show and Shut up.

ANYWHO,
Thanks guys for a great evening..

No DVD at the merch table.
steeda

Billy didn't come out to do La Grange? Bummer, wanted that on film :P
ccmay
Newcomer

The show was just great. Everyone was great. Steve was unbelievable. I hope to someday meet this virtuoso.

As a guitarist (not a very good one) I am very inspired. Its all about the music.
Hellcaster
Newcomer

it was fucking amazing...april malmsteen gave me a meet and greet pass and I got to meet all 3 of the guys...Steve stole the show. The show started late because of a blown soundboard, but it was still great. They filmed for the DVD outside of the fillmore about an hour before the doors opened and I am going to be on the DVD while taking a picture and talking to steve...how cool is that? For anyone who was there at that time, I was wearing the Iron Maiden Aces High shirt. Met some cool people last night. LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR
John

God I'm so glad this show went well! 8)
sword

:?: Have the sound problems described in previous posts been fixed in time for the DVD film shoot?

(¯`·._.·§wo®d·._.·´¯)
steeda

Did Yngwie seem wasted during his set? I know he probably was by the jam, but how about during his set?
Willin

What songs were played for the jam?
jeffertz
Newcomer

HEY STEVE... I CHANGED MY ANSWER!! ....I waited outside til 2am by the buses to see ya, (only because it was my friend who got hold of YM's smashed up Guitar and wanted you to sign it)...and you signed my ticket. I have seen 4 G3 shows and you asked what my fav was. At the time, I said it was with Johnson, but on the way home, I thought about how cool the day/show/was and now I change my answer! This was the most fun I had at a show( but i still did enjoy EJ's music more than YM's!) This show was so cool and now it is my fav! Anyway, I will be on the dvd somehow, I was in line for the show at 2:30, and got in the front row! Got 2 YM's picks, and Steve's printed set list. Steve's show was amazing. I dreaded Rockin in the Free World Jam... but it Rocked!! Been reading the reviews and I can't tell if YM was drunk or just hamming it up for the cameras...he didn't look drunk!
For the Love of Dave
Newcomer

Willin wrote:What songs were played for the jam?
Joe sang "rockin in the free world"
Steve sang "little wing"
Yngwie sang "voodoo chile"
hottoddy
Newcomer

The late start may have had something to do with getting the audio/visual stuff for the DVD right. If so, it was probably time well spent. Most reviews I've read, and my Portland show, kicked off exactly at 7.
jeffbob
Newcomer

This show was great overall. It was actually G4, but the 4th was playing keyboard and guitar for Steve (Tony MacAlpine is phenomenal). The show started late so the sets seemed very short, about 45 min each.

Yngwie opened the show. He played some classics which I dig like "Evil Eye" and "Dark Ages". I was a bit disappointed with his performance. First, he was playing sloppy and not with the band. Second, his amps sounded terrible. He had about 5 Marshall full stacks and they sounded like 1000 cats being tortured -- all mids and treble, and when he played an open E chord there was no punch, just crunch. I know he can get a better sound than that because its on his first few albums. Enough said. I'm glad I got to see him finally after all these years though.

Steve came on and I was blown away that he had Tony MacAlpine and Billy Sheehan in his rhythm section. His performance was awesome and he stole the show. His songs and band were powerful and tight. He played a few new songs, and classics like "For the Love of God" and "Juice". When he quit playing after 45 minutes it was like 10 minutes had passed and I was disappointed they had to leave the stage. I could easily listen to them for 2+ hours. I really hope Steve tours on his own with this group because they are a real treat to listen to. Not that his last lineup with Mike Keneally and Philip B was shabby, they are amazing too, but it's nice to hear something new.

Joe was up last and played a good show. He had his last tour lineup. He played "Starry Night" off the last album and standard tunes like "Satch Boogie", "Always With Me, Always with You", "Flying in a Blue Dream", "Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing", "Tears in the Rain" and "The Extremist".

For the jam at the end, they played "Rocking in the Free World", "Little Wing" and "Voodoo Chile". It was pretty cool, although I was getting annoyed with Y flinging his guitar around his shoulder and throwing it in the air and flinging his hair back - just play the guitar man. He was trying to outdo the other two and it just wasn't working. Entertaining it sure was.

They were filming for a DVD which is cool. Hopefully they release it like the first one.
Yngvai MacWeiner
Newcomer

Come on! More reviews! If you're not registered but saw this show, I can assure you it only takes a second to register! Let us folks living on G3-less (or G4 really) continents know what the dvd material is gonna be like compared to the other shows! Please! I really enjoy reading these reviews!

The best entry will win a worn out Yngvai MacWeiner pick plus an autographed cdr of me unsuccessfully trying to tune my guitar before soloing in E minor over yngwie Eb minor songs!.... :? :mrgreen: If preferred, winner may also choose to receive just a simple "thank you" from yours truly... ;)