REVIEWS: 22 JUL 2007 - LONDON, UK

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
LucySorets

Steve in London 2007!!!

#61 Post by LucySorets » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:15 am

What a weekend!

It was such a great day at the Hammersmith Apollo!

This was my 9th Vai show and was absolutely incredible (as I expected it to be :wink: )
Actually, words can't describe how happy I felt, it was just...WOW :shock: :D . The concert was brilliant...
We had an absolute blast and met some really cool people in the process...:wink:

disaxster & pauldlr, it was cool to meet you :D

Claus, Sue, Reshad, Seraphim, to meet up with you again after the London Guitar Show experience was fun and very cool :D
Yeahh...some of the "legendary" Fox group meeting :wink:
And yess!! as Claus said, we met at the same Starbucks table that Steve, Mikey, Ann Marie & Jeremy were some hours before :shock: 8)
(see leigh01 post :wink: )

Steve, Mikey, Ann Marie, Zack, Brian & Kira, Alex, Dave, it was so cool to hang out with you a little before and after the show.
Meeting musicians face to face can be a moment of a lifetime or something not so good. In your case was an experience of a lifetime 8)

jsterry, it was cool nice to meet you too waiting for Steve near the bus :D

And all the friends we met at the aftershow that were so kind and friendly...It was a really great time 8)

Hey amanvai, I sent to Steve regards from you & the Madrid EVO group! He smiled :D

Take care everyone :wink:

Lucy
Last edited by LucySorets on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ant711UK

#62 Post by Ant711UK » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:25 am

Great show!

The sound was excellent and it wasn't stupidly loud, dunno whether the guys on the desk were Steve's or the venue's but they got it right this time.

I thought the support guy was a pretty bleedin great guitar player and entertaining with it. I've seen Eric Sardinas supporting a few times too many at a Vai gig and he was a welcome change for me.

Something weird happened at the end of whispering a prayer and the whole audience just felt it. A standing ovation, and by the looks on their faces I honestly don't think Steve and the band expected it.

I had a game of pass the aftershow pass with me, Disaxter, PaulDlr & MPHGT and although I didn't actually have two passes I ended up seeing my son & his girlfriend walk through to meet Steve at the end thanks to Mike, Paul & Sally & Maria who somehow magic'd up another pass!? I knew they had friends in high places! (He got his Vai inspired GCSE artwork signed which is on show for another year at his school) Cheers!

Great stuff!

Tony

LucySorets

#63 Post by LucySorets » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:44 am

Rachelc wrote:Does anyone have the exact setlist from this show? Please
Here goes...

Now We Run
Oooo
Building the Church
Tender Surrender
Band introductions
Firewall
The Crying Machine
Dave Weiner's solo
I'm Becoming
Die to Live
Freak Show Excess
Brian Beller's Solo (in the middle of Freak Show Excess)
Alex DePue & Ann Marie Calhoun Violin Duel
Steve Acoustic improvisation (with Ann Marie)
All About Eve
Steve & Jeremy "Freak Duel"
Angel Food
Steve & Dave improvisation
Jeremy Colson's Drum Solo
The Audience is Listening
The Murder
Juice
Whispering a Prayer
Fire Garden Suite last movement: Taurus Bulba

Encore:
Liberty
Answers
For the Love of God

harvestthesouls
Newcomer

#64 Post by harvestthesouls » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Ant711UK wrote:The sound was excellent and it wasn't stupidly loud, dunno whether the guys on the desk were Steve's or the venue's but they got it right this time.
Tony i couldnt agree with you more, my God every concert ive been to all the bands, their sound is amplified poorly, loud, inaudible, ridiculous, i was expecting the same for sunday, (my first vai concert) i even bought special ear plugs because i needed to hear the sound clearly cos i realy wanted to enjoy vais concert hes onew of those artists u just cant compromise for, u gota be able to hear it properly, on the night i didnt need my ear plugs, i didnt have to bend my ears to try and isolate sounds, it was magical!!! un-freakin-believeable! and i was at the front so hats off to the sound guys for balancing it correctly!!!!!!!!

Yorksha_Pud

#65 Post by Yorksha_Pud » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:07 pm

LucySorets wrote:
Rachelc wrote: Encore:
Liberty
Answers
For the Love of God
did they really play Answers?? i really dont remember that! lol. maybe i was too excited at being right at the fron just feet away from Steve.

Seraphim

#66 Post by Seraphim » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 pm

Yorksha_Pud wrote:did they really play Answers?? i really dont remember that! lol. maybe i was too excited at being right at the fron just feet away from Steve.
Yes. The set-list are correct!!!

Yeah, God misterious ways... Steve, Annie, Jeremy and Mikey seated in the same table that we have seat...

About the show. Was really amazing. As I have seen so many of this tour, I must say that have been always some diferent parts of the same musics, some diferents solos, Dave & Steve interaction, Bass solo, etc!!!

Was really a joy meet some vai.com friends before and after the show. Thanks so much for the warm feelings that I have felt from everyone of you, specialy the ones that I have already meet before, S-U-E, what a surprize, isn't it? Claus, Rashed, Pauldlr, Maria, I really liked to meet you, always happy and smiling, nice pic with Mikey I took :wink: and Jim, thanks for the invitation, and so more... ohhhh, LucySorets :P My deepest thanks to you for have asked so many times to go to London!!!

Thanks Mikey and Steve once again :P

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

disaxster

#67 Post by disaxster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:58 am

Ant711UK wrote:...thanks to Mike, Paul & Sally & Maria who somehow magic'd up another pass!?
Tony, DLR is the man. I had connections on site but I wish I could have done more for you. My original plan was to get you in together with your son because I knew it meant a lot to you but I couldn't make it.
Oh well... :lol: there will always be another Vai show and another aftershow.
Ciao!

disaxster

#68 Post by disaxster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:01 am

Seraphim wrote: Claus, Rashed, Pauldlr, Maria, I really liked to meet you, always happy and smiling, nice pic with Mikey I took :wink:
Speaking of which... could you send it to me? I have the other version of it and it's overwhelming :D Obrigada.

Bees
Newcomer

#69 Post by Bees » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:32 am

I would just like to say that I finally got a chance to watch the EVO DVD last night and want to say Thanks for making that for us Steve! (Hope you're all feeling better now you're on your way home for a rest before the next leg.)

Rachelc
Newcomer

#70 Post by Rachelc » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks LucySorets

disaxster

Re: Steve in London 2007!!!

#71 Post by disaxster » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:46 am

LucySorets wrote:
disaxster & pauldlr, it was cool to meet you :D
Hola tia, it was good to speak some of my Spanitalian with you :lol:
Hasta luego hostia!

:lol:

Spagbol

#72 Post by Spagbol » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:04 am

LucySorets wrote:
Rachelc wrote:Does anyone have the exact setlist from this show? Please
Here goes...

Now We Run
Oooo
Building the Church
Tender Surrender
Band introductions
Firewall
The Crying Machine
Dave Weiner's solo
I'm Becoming
Die to Live
Freak Show Excess
Brian Beller's Solo (in the middle of Freak Show Excess)
Alex DePue & Ann Marie Calhoun Violin Duel
Steve Acoustic improvisation (with Ann Marie)
All About Eve
Steve & Jeremy "Freak Duel"
Angel Food
Steve & Dave improvisation
Jeremy Colson's Drum Solo
The Audience is Listening
The Murder
Juice
Whispering a Prayer
Fire Garden Suite last movement: Taurus Bulba

Encore:
Liberty
Answers
For the Love of God
Just for a little more info for you, the violin duel included Perpetuum Mobile by Novacek (that was Alex's ripping if a little dodgy solo bit) a section of Bach's Partita no. 3 in E major and a little bit of Paganini caprice no. 5 (well, it was closer to Eugene's Trick Bag than the actual caprice, but included little flurries of the arpeggio sections in the intro/outro of the actual caprice from both violins at the end).

Seraphim

#73 Post by Seraphim » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:10 pm

Spagbol wrote: Just for a little more info for you, the violin duel included Perpetuum Mobile by Novacek (that was Alex's ripping if a little dodgy solo bit) a section of Bach's Partita no. 3 in E major and a little bit of Paganini caprice no. 5 (well, it was closer to Eugene's Trick Bag than the actual caprice, but included little flurries of the arpeggio sections in the intro/outro of the actual caprice from both violins at the end).
Thanks for the info. I recognized some parts but don't know what are the names, Thanks

:mrgreen: Seraphim :mrgreen:

john_nai
Newcomer

#74 Post by john_nai » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Stand by for some video

john_nai
Newcomer

#75 Post by john_nai » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm sure they will let me post it shortly!