REVIEWS: 22 JUL 2007 - LONDON, UK

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
leigh01

tomgamble100 wrote:I was sick twice however in the concert so whoever saw that pile of puke by the toilets I apologise.
rofl I'm glad I went to the toilets before they let people in
mo786
Newcomer

leigh01

Here are some pics, sorry about the quality but they were taken on my phone which I was still getting used to.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311 ... andann.jpg

This was one of the greatest moments of my life!!
I actually met steve inside the starbucks ordering a coffee and other stuff, and I said something real stupid we said hi to him and everything, then I said something completly pointless which was "I'm meeting you at 3:30" lol how stupid im meeting you now lol, anyways he told me that he and a couple of band members were chilling outside nd then he was gonna go to the gym, I didn't go over there with him as he would have fans around him throughout the day so I gave him his peace but took a couple of pics from a distance.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311 ... ndann1.jpg

this is when steve left to go to the gym.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311 ... ingevo.jpg
a cool fellow vai fan holding the beautiful evo.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311 ... vation.jpg

the last song of the show.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x311 ... sroads.jpg

steve demonstrating his acting roll in crossroads.
feel free to copy the pics, also if any of you want theres loads more of steve in the talk, and in the soundcheck.
MrsW
Newcomer

This was the show I enjoyed most in my life!

Mr Vai seem very preoccupied with kit and theory of music making so it is easy to jump to the conclusion that everything he does is going to be as dull and sterile as a dentist's drill. Nothing could be further from reality.

It was an infectious fun, well paced show of wonderful music by a stunning performer.

“Whispering a Prayer” was pure magic – yes, it was that good!

I loved the performances of “The Crying Machine” and “Fire wall”. Though the trivia about the rolling Rs brought back some memories. When I was at school (in Sweden), I couldn’t do the rolling Rs and got pulled out of class and sent to a speech therapist. I was the only one to fail in my class. Many sessions later, buckets of tears and endless practice I have still never been able to do them. So I moved to England were nobody else could either.

Zack’s warm up and Jeremy and his contraption were hilarious. From the back of the auditorium it was hard to see that the red lights on Jeremy were sculls. They looked like something else… Imagine the head lines in the unlikely event of Mr Vai realizing his threats: “Britney Spears’ new drummer – Madonna impressionist with illuminated b**bs”.

A three hour show was gone in what seemed like three minutes. I wished it would never end.

After show meet and greet…

I was one of the lucky ones to find a sticker in my copy of Sound Theories. The meet and greet session was great. Near midnight after a three hour show, Steve, Dave, Ann Marie, Bryan and Mikey were still all smiles and friendliness.

Thank you Steve, the band and everyone behind the scenes that we could not see, for doing this show.

I envy you Americans (and Irish, Scots and Russians) who still have this to look forward to.

On the practical side, hearing protection is a good idea. I first saw Mr Vai at the Real Illusions tour two years ago and had my ear drums practically obliterated by Mr Sardinas and did not enjoy the show much. Surprisingly both Steve and Dave were communicating at normal conversation level at the meet and greet. They were obviously born to do what they do – genetically equipped with industrial strength ear drums???
disaxster

tomgamble100 wrote:...whoever saw that pile of puke by the toilets I apologise.
Now I know why James Hetfield wanted to use my toilet after driving me home! I mean the one from Wales here on the right:

(at the Vai aftershow)
tomgamble100
Newcomer

my you tube channel is the same name as my username, I have uploaded vai playing Tender surrender at hammersmith, good quality!!
Incestuous_Monk

Wow! That was the best gig I have ever seen bar none.

First off I have to comment on the sound quality - it was superb. I think that was what helped make it an incredible show. The past few Vai gigs I've been to (G3/ Real Illusions tours) the sound has been poor - it sounded like mush. So the first kudos goes to the audio engineer. I don't know if he's new or what but Steve, if you read this: please keep him!!

Unfortunately, due to a delayed train I missed Zach. Which I was disappointed about - but there you go. I arrived a few seconds into Oooo. As soon as I heard that - I knew it was going to be a great show and boy was it great!

Here are my impressions of the band:

Alex DePue:

The guy is a freakin' freak! He does things on the violin that shouldn't be possible. Amazing soloing skills too - you can tell he's worked hard on developing his improvisational skills. His moment with Anne Marie was out of this world. This guy is one to look out for and I really hope Steve keeps both Alex and Anne Marie in the band for a long time. A great new dimension to the Vai experience.

Anne Marie Calhoun:

Not only is this woman a freakin' freak too - she also plays with such a flawless, effortless grace, that I was transfixed! She also has a beautiful smile (and a husband - damn!!). Her melodic playing was divine, and her interactions with both Steve and Alex were a sight and sound to behold. Again, I hope Steve continues with the dual violin assault of Annie and Alex - they both leave me speechless.

Bryan Beller:

Bryan was amazing - he was solid all night and his Freakshow Excess solo was fantastic. Bryan is one of those guys that doesn't realize how good he really is. All I can say is: Bryan, you are far better than you know. I'd hire you in a second. Believe it - you absolutely deserve this gig.

Jeremy Colson:

It was the third time I've seen Jeremy play live and boy - the guy just gets better and better. I swear those tats are multiplying too! I can see why he is Steve's number one choice. Absolutely rock solid timing and he just doesn't drop a beat. Simply off this planet... and the next one...

Dave Weiner:

Sublime performance again. Dave has really come into his own in this band and as much as I love TMac, I feel Dave is more than an adequate replacement. His rhythmic playing was in the pocket all night and sounded amazing! It was like a wall of sound on the heavier songs. His lead playing and solo spot were pretty spectacular too. I can't give the guy enough praise. Well done Weiner!!

Steve Vai:

Well, I think I am out of superlatives. I can't even begin to describe and critique Steve's performance. To say he was incredible, amazing, mind blowing and then some - really is doing the guy an injustice. There are literally no words to describe Steve and his performance. I can only reach the conclusion that Steve is God, or God is Steve and to be in HIS presence, is true enlightenment of the soul. Believe me Steve - you touched a lot of souls tonight and you have throughout your career. I can't thank you enough for the magic that is you, your music and the inspiration you have given me and many others. From the bottom of my heart - Thank You. I love you man.

Ok, ok enough gushing! I also must say that Steve's ability to not just play his incredible music, but to actually perform it to the level he does - is out of this world - there is no one that can come close. There are guys that can play incredibly complex stuff on the guitar - but they can't perform the way Steve does - he makes the hardest things look like childs play. As much as I love the Paul Gilbert's, Rusty Cooley's and John Petrucci's of this world - they are not in the same league (as performers).

Furthermore, Steve has the incredible gift of being able to plan an amazing show. Everything from the arrangements of the songs, the song order, lighting, audience participation and communication. He has these things down to a fine art. It all adds to an immense, humorous and memorable show. Again thank you, Steve.

As for my highlights of the show: I can't say - all of it. It was just the ultimate show from beginning to end.

I guess the only slight downer for me was the lack of enthusiasm by some of the audience. I know we British are know for being reserved but it was a little embarrassing when only a handful of people join in for the audience participation things. Shame on you!!

A question for Mikey/Steve: Are there any plans to record a DVD for this tour? I really hope so - it would be a travesty not to have this tour documented in time. Maybe on the North American leg of the tour?? Please...(!!)

Thanks to Steve, the band and crew for putting on the experience of my lifetime. I must get an EVO pass for the next tour....

Wishing you all peace and love.

Steve, UK.

[/b]
Last edited by Incestuous_Monk on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RM

Gig was great - Vai was amazing as always. I'm glad he has a bass player who's priority is holding down a groove. I like Billy's personality and stage persona, but his playing is far too busy for my tastes...Bryan was spot on the whole night. Reminded me of when Phillip Bynoe was in the band.

I was also looking forward to seeing Alex DePue as everything I've heard abut him in the past has been amazing - what a disappointment! His tone was horrible (those V shaped fiddles are known for having dreadful sound) and his intonation was suspect far too many times. It's all very well being all widdly widdly wee(!) but if your intonation is out then you are not a good player!!! I'm hoping it was a monitoring problem and that he couldn't hear himself that well...time will tell...

Anne marie on the other hand, wasn't trying to outplay Steve (which is a real mugs game - it ain't going to happen Alex!!). She seemed to have been given all the sweet tender melodies for a reason - her tone was beautiful yet intense and actually sounded like a violin (not like a bunch of seagulls being hit by a tram). Alex could do with taking tone advice from Ann Marie!

Jeremy's solo was amazing...and how does he keep going for close to three hours??! The guy is amazing!!
harvestthesouls
Newcomer

Incestuous_Monk wrote:A question for Mikey/Steve: Are there any plans to record a DVD for this tour? I really hope so - it would be a travesty not to have this tour documented in time.
I saw a professional camcorder situated at the back of the venue where the soundboard was located, not sure whether it was used or not, Mikey can you confirm this?
pauldlr

If I remember correctly, I think Steve records all of his shows for his personal use. I could be wrong though!
Incestuous_Monk

harvestthesouls wrote:
Incestuous_Monk wrote:A question for Mikey/Steve: Are there any plans to record a DVD for this tour? I really hope so - it would be a travesty not to have this tour documented in time.
I saw a professional camcorder situated at the back of the venue where the soundboard was located, not sure whether it was used or not, Mikey can you confirm this?
I saw the same thing! But I figured it was dormant since there were no stage cameras or anything. That would have been a great show to record though, wouldn't it?
Claus P

[quote="leigh01"]Here are some pics, sorry about the quality but they were taken on my phone which I was still getting used to.

That table is one that we (Sue, her son Reshad, Seraphim, Lucy Sorets and I) met at a couple of hours later before going to the show! Strange, isn’t it?
As many already have mentioned, the show was fantastic and Steve and the band were obviously eager to give the audience everything that night. I enjoyed every single song from the set list and I think that bringing the two violins (different in their expressions, I think) into the arrangements has given several songs “a new life”. I was really glad to hear The Murder again.
The After show part: great but so many people were there that Steve only got time to do signings and the photos. But then again it was cool to meet and talk to Anne Marie and the rest of the band and, of course, other friendly members from this board.
Our American friends can start to look forward to the rest of the Sound Theories tour. :wink:
Best wishes, Claus
Last edited by Claus P on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miggins
Newcomer

Fantastic, Brilliant, Outstanding, Superb, Mind Blowing,etc,etc. Blimey, what a show. 2nd time that I've seen Vai live (other at the Astoria 2001). Support act (well erm.......................). Totally enjoyed the show (although would have enjoyed it more if weren't worried about catching the last tube train back etc,......) Alex and Ann (violins, keyboards,etc) were amazing.Highlights for me were whispering a prayers, for the love of god and all about eve. For those not at the gig - well you've simply missed out!!!

Miggins
RTStibbon
Newcomer

Yorksha_Pud wrote:I recorded most of Whispering A Prayer, including the the amazing reaction form the crowd at the end. The picture isnt great, but the sound is ok.

:D
Well done for recording this - I reckon it's one of 'those' performances that will be talked about for years! What a privelige to be there (and right at the front!!!) :D
Rachelc
Newcomer

Does anyone have the exact setlist from this show? Please