REVIEWS: G3'03 - 18 October, 2003: LOS ANGELES, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Killer Artist
Newcomer

OMG! That show at the Greek was amazing. I have to be honest with you, the reason I wanted to go in the first place was too see Yngwie. Then I started hearing all this stuff about Steve so I had all these expectations going into the concert about Vai and when he came out he blew all my expectations away and just deliver like no one else, WHOA! That's all I have to say about that. I love all three of the guys and Yngwie the most but Vai just won himself a new fan and he took that night with him too. Even though Yngwies flamboyant scenes surely got him noticed too Vai won in my book. ALL WERE GREAT AND AMAZING THOUGH! That was the first time hearing any of Steves material and let me tell you it was REALLY F***ING GOOD!(HE WON MY DAD OVER TOO) After the show my dad and I had the meet and greet passes so we went back. Took about half an hour but I meet Vai, I just grabbed his arm and kinda turn him around that's the only way I could get his attention. What a nice guy got his auto. Then I meet Vais drummer nice guy. Meet Yngwie band, Billy Sheenan, and saw Tony too. Didn't get his auto because I found April, Yngwie wife, and she told me he was resting backstage and she would get me an autograph so she had the shirt so no Tony autograph. Got and Yngwie pick from April, very nice lady might I add? I also meet Dweezil Zappa, I think that's how you spell his name, and I guess girlfriend(?) too who is in the music biz but can't remember her name she's really pretty. Well, I'm done blabin away and boring whose ever reading so peace! AMAZING NIGHT THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET! THANX VAI!
King Snake

killer artist, that's exactly how i felt. i was there to see Yngwie (mainly) but Mr Vai totally blew my mind. i think he's my next favorite guitarist now. :)

I listen to a lot of Mr Vai's tunes, but they never moved me like they did last night. it was just awesome. it inspired me a great deal.

Mr Vai, if you're out there, Thank You so much for sharing your gift of music with all of us. we greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :)
leather2laceu
Newcomer

Hey there,
Just wanted to put my view in about last nights concert at the greek...
Steve you rocked my soul, it was my first time seeing him, and all I can say is WOW. I have ranked steve in my top favs, along with Joe, Stevie Ray.
How ever I agree with the other posts that mentioned Yngwie being stuck in the 80's :oops: ! I was in the sencond row, and dodged picks all night, as they flew at me like bullets! I dont understand Yngwie, he is a great guitar player, why all the stage dramatics?
Get real. I had a problem hearing some vocals, was there technical difficulties on vocals and Yngwies over powering of steve and Joe.. :cry:
I enjoyed the riff the guys did on each others guitard hand over hand... right on! amaizing the talent amongst these great musicians!
A band couldnt get TIGHTER THEN THAT!
My soul was rocked ... Joe being one of my all time favorites never seases to amaize me... together Steve and Joe rocked the house, I just wish that Eric Johnson was there instead of the 80's man!
See ya at the next show...
T. :wink:
davester1234

was the Vai live dvd's (Astoria) on sale at the venue, guys and gals??

I visited my local record store, and they don't seem to have any release date yet, even though it should be anytime now... :evil:
steeda

No it was not Dave. The merch sellers knew nothing of a DVD. I think you can buy it at retail a month from now. Apparently Steve decided to release it on Favored Nations instead of Sony so it is delayed. Amazon's info is wrong. This information is from Mikey.
noeltazz
Newcomer

Lol, Did anybody see that crazed Yngwie fan, that was in the middle of section A? It was some girl wearing a black shirt.

She was dancing and doing stupid composer type conducting during Yngwie's entire set, lol. I thought it was pretty funny.

And did anybody else see that hot chick dancing in the middle of Joe Satriani's set? Joe actually pointed her out, hehe. She had a nice body.
shader

If you watch the G3 DVD, theres some woman dancing, i think it's during 'The Attitude Song'
steeda

Lol, Did anybody see that crazed Yngwie fan, that was in the middle of section A? It was some girl wearing a black shirt.
ROFL! I saw her too, she was totally crazed!
fazziah
Newcomer

Dude I thought that was steeda in drag :?
Emerald
Newcomer

I travelled the whole way from Ireland to see this show and it was worth every minute of the cramped 11 hour flight .
To see Steve play Whispering a prayer in the Greek under a beautiful night sky is a truly beautiful thing .
I hope they bring the tour to Europe .
davester1234

steeda wrote:No it was not Dave. The merch sellers knew nothing of a DVD. I think you can buy it at retail a month from now. Apparently Steve decided to release it on Favored Nations instead of Sony so it is delayed. Amazon's info is wrong. This information is from Mikey.
I never heard about a delay, all I heard was Mikey saying that it would be for sale by the 5th or 6th show or something :?
Gabe Nickelson

Hmmm... where to I start??? I flew into LA on the 18th around noon from Houston and met my buddy and co-Jemfest organizer Kevan at LAX. We went to the Hotel, got settled in and decided to go over to the venue to buy his ticket. All the buses where there which we walked past when we had to use to the crapper at the park. I noticed a guy moving boxes underneath a bus. I told Kev it looked like Mikey and he was like 'Dude, Mikey's a 6' 6" Australian guy, that guy is too short to be him'. On the way back we decided to head over and sure enough it was our own Mikey putting Steve's bike under the bus. With the watchful eye of security, Mikey waved us on to see him. We recognized each other from Jemfest 2000 in Vegas, when Rich Pike and Mikey came. Anyway, we chatted up a storm for a while. Ruta and Tony drove up while we were talking. We were about to head back to the Hotel when Steve came out of the bus after a nap. Mikey went over to Steve and talked to him a bit and Steve came over to shake my hand to thank me for my work with Jemfest. It was an honor for sure to thank me personally. Of course, Kev was there too, and he got his thanks from Steve too. Plus Steve was using one of Kevan's 'inventions' on his guitar (which I won't post here what it is unless Kev says it's OK) which Kev got good feedback on from Steve. Anyway, they were getting ready for soundcheck so we split and went back to the Hotel.

We ate and chatted and then headed back to the Venue which we were a little late in getting there. We got our aftershow passes (Thanks Mikey!) and went into the show. Kevan was in a different seat. I was in row H seat 117, which is basically center. There was this guy sitting 3 seats to my left that looked JUST LIKE Eric Johnson. Could it of been?

Yngwie opened up, of course. He amp sound was HORRIBLE! It was beyond distorted and was just not pleasant to listen too. His set was full of leg kicks and guitar throwing and swinging action. The playing was good, once I stuck my earplugs in I could actually make out some of the stuff he was playing. I really liked his acoustic guitar song. Fazziah - Yes I saw that crazed Yngwie chick. I think I was watching her more than Yngwie! Did anyone notice the bat flying up in the stage during his set?

OK, now Steve came on. Opening up with the triple neck song. Flawless and amazing. There are not really any words that can say how wonderful the show was. This is the 8th time I've seen Steve live and I must say every time I see him he's at his best... no doubts about that! Probably my fav trick was the blowing harmonics with FLO. BTW - only FLO and EVO were used (besides the tripleneck). Dave was at his prime. Much more relaxed and his tone was excellent. Steve's overall sound was an excellent mix where I was at and he only has a few sound problems with his guitar during some axe action trade-offs with Dave. It was like some sort of odd feedback, maybe from his sustainer, but you could clearly see Steve didn't want that noise to happen because he was fiddling with his guitar settings.

On to Satch. I missed the beginning of his set. Satch is Satch. Nothing he did really moved me. It's just the same old, same old. I liked his flame guitar. His bass player was not suited for this tour. I could have played in his spot. He didn't do anything fancy and just kept a beat, even messing up on the Summer Song playing the wrong notes. Satch also had harmonic timing problems with the beginning of the summer song. Regardless, it was a typical Satch show which I found more dull because no Stu.

The Jam rocked. Yngwie obviously had a few drinks while Steve and Joe we on. He got lost several times in the jam. Perhaps he couldn't hear himself in the mix, I don't know. I do know he got pissed at one point and slid his guitar on the floor to his tech and walked off stage and grabbed another guitar. The place was snowing with Yngwie picks.

Now hear comes my complaint. The idiots at the venue were so freakin stupid I cannot say the words on this forum without getting banned. I have an aftershow pass. I ask the chick at the door if I can come back in because I was looking for Kevan. OK, I'm just outside the door and go back in. They had closed the stage portion of the venue so I couldn't get to the other side to go to the aftershow. The guy tells me to go outside and go around to the otherside. The prick at the otherside wouldn't let me in even though I had a pass. He said "That's a Meet-and-Greet Pass, not an Aftershow pass. The Meet-and-Greet was before the show started." This guy didn't know what he was talking about. I asked him if I could go in and he said "I'll have to ask my boss", who was standing behind him. His boss said "no" so I was stuck. Lucky for me, Mikey was at the tour bus so I called out to him and he waved me on and let me to the aftershow. Kevan was at the car and he got the Jemfest shirts and stickers we were going to give away. Of course, the jerks wouldn't let him back in either, so he called me and Mikey saved the day once again! The aftershow was packed, but it was a nice aftershow in regards to how it was laid out. No pushy-pushy security allowing one person at a time through. It was open and food was available as was a bar. I found a table and planted. I didn't really go upstairs where the meet-and-greet was because it was packed and people were swarming the artists. I just stayed downstairs and drank. We chatted with Mikey and Dave for a while. Then, about 1 hour into the aftershow, Steve came downstairs. Apparently, his wife was sitting behind me and I didn't realize it and his kids were running about. He came down to visit with his family and friends.

Soon the lights started to flash so we had to leave and besides, Mikey was tired from running around all day, not to mention we were like the last guys left. We met at the bus and it turned out Steve was flying to Colorado because of something he had to do for the radio... don't know what it was though. We chatted at the bus with Mikey, Dave, and Jeremy. Handed them Jemfest shirts (they were happy they didn't have to do laundry the next day!) and a few stickers and we were off.

Overall it was worth the trip and expenses. It was good to see Mikey again and meet up with Kevan. We talked about organizing Jemfest 2004 and spent some time in Hollywood checking things out. It was cool meeting the guy from Emerald guitars.

I'll have some pictures posted soon. Oh, BTW if anyone was at the aftershow I was the guy dressed in black with red flame shoes on and stack of shirts and stickers on the table.

Gabe
King Snake

wish i could meet mr vai. (and yngwie) :cry:
Achilles

Wow. I must say I was very impressed with the G3 show this year. Honestly, I was sort of reconsidering getting tickets because A.) I had never been to a G3 show before and B.) The prices seemed a bit steep, so I didn't know If I was going to get my moneys worth. Now I feel almost as if I ripped them off, lol. Anyway, I arrived a tad early and got comfortably into my seat and first saw Yngwie Malmsteen. Honestly, I was not impressed with his performance at all. He was very self indulgent and flashy, his guitar tricks getting old after the forty seventh time each. I mean, I hate to knock him, but the irritating and constant use of the same scale got boring really damn fast. Not to mention a middle aged potbelly flying all over the place out of tight leather pants was not exactly a pleasing sight. Plus, his bassists tone literally hurt my ears. I really wished he would cut the distortion. Incredible keyboard player, though. Now I don't know what to say about Vai's section of the show. I am not sure that there are words to describe it. If there are, they would be related to "breathtaking," "otherworldly," or perhaps "divine." It was probably the most incredible musical experience of my life. All of the songs were equally as great, and For the Love of God even exceeded my extremely high expectations by a good amount. Plus, Steve's thumbs-up at me was the highlight of my evening, or perhaps the highlight of my next few years, lol. Thank you so much for the most enjoyable experience Steve, I truly appreciate it. Joe's show was very cool as well. I thought when he did "Midnight" it was simply extraordinary. I thought Joe gave a great performance. The end jams were excellent also. I especially liked Rocking in the Free World. Honestly though, by this time I was still absolutely shocked by Vai's sonic sorcery. Great job!

-Adam Daily
Gabe Nickelson

Hey everyone I have videos you can check out from the LA show. Make sure you have the latest DIVX on your system. These are not good quality and are all under 30 seconds. I didn't feel like converting them to MPG because I don't have the time. Unless you have high bandwidth you might be disappointed in the time you spend to download them. The sound is decent:

Video #1 - Yngwie
4.1MB :25

Video #2 - Yngwie Acoustic
5MB :21

Video #3 - Steve on Tripleneck
4.3MB :29

Video #4 - Steve on Tripleneck
4.1MB :29

Video #5 - Steve and Band (watch Billy go crazy on this one)
1.3MB :06

Video #6 - Steve and Band
2.9MB :13

Video #7 - Steve and Band (play each others guitars)
6.5MB :29 (kinda blurry)

Video #8 - G3 Jam with Yngwie guitar swing AND leg kick!
3.1MB :15

Gabe