REVIEWS: G3'03 - 11 October, 2003: SAN DIEGO, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
the_zabler
Newcomer

ANSWER:

That was Steve's Grammy Nominated song Whispering a Prayer from his double CD Alive in an Ultra World. I was also very happy that he played this song....and at least it was later in the set, so we could actually Hear it. I lost my voice screaming at the sound man and chanting "TURN IT UP."

Kind of a bummer because we missed the first few songs, and then next thing you know...the set is so short that Steve was gone.

Steve also played Get the Hell out of Here (box set vol. 1) that just rocked...and the Reaper. I love the Reaper, so that was a real treat that he played it, but like Juice, we couldn't hear it.

Steve also played Giant Balls of Gold and of course For the Love of God.

One more note - Satch should not sing Hendrix....Vai has a much better voice and should do the singing. Although Billy on ZZ Top was perfect.

I would have to agree that Satch was unusually good last night. He seemed to have a lot more energy than past shows, and unfortunately for this Vai fan....Satch stole the show. Partly due to Vai's sound problems.

I've had this problem at Humphrey's before, so I wish there was a better venue.

YM was right out of a time machine. All the antics, the leg kicks, twirling and spinning the guitar...not to mention his huge gut poking out from under his shirt. Too bad we couldn't see him through all of the fog that kept pumping on stage. Much better than Kenny Wayne Vaughn....I mean Sheppard...in the last G3 show I saw.
Peabody

Wow, it sure sounds like a lot of people are getting meet & greet passes.....Oh PLEASE I hope I get one!!! :) (Wash. D.C.)
steeda

I had a room there ( Humphreys is also a hotel, marina, etc ). My room was inside the perimeter, overlooking the stage. I had the guitars in there until meet and greet. My friend also bought the white shirt with the tour dates and each guy's guitar on the back. I had Joe, Steve, and Yng sign under their respective guitar :P
the_zabler
Newcomer

They also had autographed G3 posters for sale ($30) - I got one - so for those of you that don't make it to the meet and greet, it's a nice momento to have. I plan on framing mine and putting it on the wall next to my amp and JEM7VSBL.
RickAllen

Wow!

You guys are soooooo lucky.

Yeah Yngwie needs to step into the 2000's a little bit.

I wonder if those autographed posters are pre-printed ones. I hope not. That would be very nice framed on the wall.

I'm driving overnight to Montreal to see them. I hope it doesn't snow.

Mikey - GIVE ME PASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P pretty please.

-Rick
Kotonashi
Newcomer

Man oh man was that show awesome or not. The ducks walking around through everyone's seats before the show. Steve after realizing that his sound was way down apologizing for it and promising that we'd certainly hear the next song. Steve's facial expression's while playing "Whispering a Prayer" where just insane. Yngwie's drummer dropping his stick while twirling em at the begining of the set. Getting to see Billy Sheenan and Yngwie Malmsteen both on stage at the same time having a blast playying with each other. The only bummer for me was about 30 minutes before they let us into the gate. I'm on the phone talking to my little brother and I shit you not Tony Macalpine sneaks right pass everyone out there who was waiting to get in. I'm just standing there with my balls in my hand going "Dude that was Tony Mac" in disbelief.. I guess I'll just have to tackel him next time. Awesome show though, that was my first time seeing any of those guys perform and it was amazing, truly from the bottom of my heart thanks a bunch guys, and that goes to everyone else who was in the crowd also....man there was some real energy there last night.
xmudd_punkx
Newcomer

the_zabler wrote:YM was right out of a time machine. All the antics, the leg kicks, twirling and spinning the guitar...not to mention his huge gut poking out from under his shirt. Too bad we couldn't see him through all of the fog that kept pumping on stage. Much better than Kenny Wayne Vaughn....I mean Sheppard...in the last G3 show I saw.
:shock: LOL :P My question is this: If the guys are planning on making a DVD and CD of this tour, will they be able to get all of the kinks out of the sound before the filming starts Oct. 20th?

(¯`·._.·§wo®d·._.·´¯)
steeda

Well the good thing about recording is you can mix it anyway you like :P The sound is there, we just couldn't hear it. That show we saw could be mixed to perfection though while producing a live CD.
Abhishek

davester1234 wrote:vai is doing:

Triple neck
I know you're here
For the Love of God
Whispering a Prayer
Reaper Rap
Get the hell out of here
Juice
Giant balls of gold
maybe one more, dunno
Jai0705

They better get these kinks worked out quickly. It's already been a few shows where people have complained about not hearing Steve. That's a pretty damn big problem if you ask me.
magvike1
Newcomer

It's a shame that so many soundmen think they can run the freaking board with headphones on. That dude couldn't possibly hear what we were hearing. It took him 3 songs and all the audience screaming at him before he figured it out, then he put Steve up way too high and didn't mix the rest of the band worth a crap after that either. It was VERY, VERY disappointing to me. Whoever he was, he needs to be reprimanded, taught how to mix the mains to what the audience (who pays for all this stuff) is hearing. Take his head out of his ass, remove the headphones and LISTEN!!!!! One of the light people said after the show that the cops were up there with DB meters, but I don't believe it. I think that's just an excuse cuz it sure was loud after he turned Steve up. I enjoyed the show, otherwise, most especially the jam at the end. Even Yngwie was getting into it. That fat boy can sure play, too. As far as ideas go, Steve is far beyond Joe and Yngwie, though. I enjoyed finally seeing Yngwie play the songs I've been listening to for so long. I wish the mix was better for Steve, but I really dug his brief duets with Tony. Man oh Man can they go!!!! For technical brilliance, Steve just amazes. He's such a funny guy... Joe was his usual high energy, rocking self....totally cool...
If there was anything I would like more of, though, it's interaction with Steve and Billy...two of the greatest, coolest guys around...anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Mike.
toman8er
Newcomer

:oops: Sorry guys and gals I posted my SD G3 review on the Reno,NV.
Also please forgive me for turning it to short story.ROCK ON :roll:
Moderator777

toman8er wrote::oops: Sorry guys and gals I posted my SD G3 review on the Reno,NV.
Also please forgive me for turning it to short story.ROCK ON :roll:
If you want to, copy and paste your review in here, then PM me and I'll delete your other post from the Reno thread. :)

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Hey folks,

Regarding the San Diego show and the sound, I wanted to fill you in on the reality of the situation.

For those of you who are not aware, Humphrey's on the Bay is exactly that: an outdoor venue that is flanked by hotels and rural neighborhoods. Because of this they have a very strict decibel level limit of 97 DB.

Yngwie performs with... I think 6 Marshall stacks, so his guitar sound is very loud off the stage and was not in the PA at all. In contrast Steve's stage rig consists of two cabinets. Steve doesn't like to be loud on stage for a multitude of reasons so his guitar level coming off the stage is not very loud. Steve depends on the PA system to carry his guitar.

Well, by the time Steve hit the stage, there was a representative from the venue standing at the sound board with a decibel meter telling our sound guy that Steve was too loud and exceeding the decibel level, and that if he (the sound guy) turned Steve up in the PA the show would be over. Well, when everyone in the audience started to freak out and yell at the sound guy, it culminated with Steve going up to the mic and telling him to turn the guitar up.

Our sound guy turned to the woman who had the decibel reader and said, "If I don't turn this up you are going to have a riot on your hands and the show will end and you will be responsible for returning all these tickets - not to mention the liability of injuries. This is a rock show!"

With that he threw caution to the wind and turned Steve up. That's when you could finally hear what was going on. As a result, when Joe got on stage the rule was already broken and nobody was about to turn down the sound.

Hope this helps clear up the events surrounding the situation.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Willin

Wow, good story! I'm glad to hear that Steve doesn't just have a horrible sound guy! :P