REVIEWS: 30 SEPT 2006 - The Cliff Show, WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
jimmyjet
Newcomer

[quote="brentm"][quote="jimmyjet"]
I bought the amp and it’s beautiful. Nine signatures…Joe, Steve, Dweezil, Paul Gilbert, Jeff Campitelli, Galen Hensen, Dave LaRue, Johnny Hiland and 1 other I can’t figure out. I wish Billy Sheehan and Steve Lukather had signed it!!
[/quote]

I was SOOOO going to bid 1,200 for it... going once, going twice... sold for 1,000.

Out of curiousity, how did you get it home? And where do you live?[/quote]

That things friggin heavy. I only live about 30 minutes away. I carried it out to my car and into my pad...not too bad.
Truth be told....You would have owned it at $1,200.
I'm currently pondering its' future.......hmmmmmmm.......
cbr1000f

Seems that T-Mac wasn't playing with Steve. So who played the keys & the other lead guitars?
litlgrnman

cbr1000f wrote:Seems that T-Mac wasn't playing with Steve. So who played the keys & the other lead guitars?
Scheila from the ZPZ tour filled in on keys and added some sassy sax. Dave was his usual stellar self Saturday night as well.
cbr1000f

litlgrnman wrote:
cbr1000f wrote:Seems that T-Mac wasn't playing with Steve. So who played the keys & the other lead guitars?
Scheila from the ZPZ tour filled in on keys and added some sassy sax. Dave was his usual stellar self Saturday night as well.
Cool! Thanks, Litlgrnman.
cnc74

I was just sitting here thinking back to Sat night's show. I remember Steve telling us that if it weren't for Cliff, he may very well have not been standing on stage that night. I think it's wonderful how the music industry and the fans have come together for this very special man. I am honored to say that I had a hand in making a difference in someone's life.
Christin :wink:
Splish

Why wasn't i there :cry:

(Anyone know the next time Mr.Vai is coming to britain?)

Splish
Helly
Newcomer

I came all the way from Norway, and among crazy americans I saw this amazing show! Oh, my god...I just love these guitarists!! I've seen Vai once before, but none of the others. It was definitely the best consert I've been to ever!! I can't stop smiling!!!!
molan
Newcomer

Hi everyone,

I'm currently over in the USA (from Britain) on an extended trip. Got married in Vegas on a Harley at a drive thru, then drove through Death Valley, Sierra Nevadas, up to Tahoe & Virginia City, over to Sacramento & SF then down the coast to LA (now up in SF again on busines).

I managed to tie in quite a few events on my trip - Vegas Bike Fest, Reno Street Vibrations & the Cliff gig which just happened to be on the night of my birthday!

I thought the gig was amazing and kept wondering whether these gigs happen all the time in LA. . . . .

I thought Steve V was amazing but find it really hard to get excited by Satriani. Can't really put my finger on it but there just sems to be less "feel" & "emotion" and seems all technique to me. I've seen him before and thought the highlight was Stu Hamm on bass (bearing in mind that I am a bassist!).

I also thought Steve's band summed up the differences between the two halfs of the main set. Lots of power and emotion & just made you want to hear them all play solos and fills throughout. Joe's band were tight and "efficient" but I just couldn't get excited about them. Again - I just loved Billy Sheehan, never seen him live before but would kill to see him again in a longer set.

I loved all the guest spots and me general take on the evening was:

Johnny Hiland - OK when he first came on but sound wasn't perfect and I thought he looked a little uncomfortable at times (he seemed much more at home on the encores).

Dweezil - Again a few sound quality problems but the band absolutely kicked ass on the Zappa song. For me the highlight of the entire evening was the moment when they all kicked on hard on the main riff of the song. They were so tight and the power & feel coming across was immense. Can't for the life of me remember what the song was called but I've been humming it to my self all damn week - if anyone knows then please put me out of my misery!

Paul Gilbert - Played a blistering solo when he first came on and the first guest to really nail a good sound and tone. I actually thought this first solo spot for him was maybe the second real highlight of the evening and possibly the best pure "feel" solo of the evening. Looked pretty cool too with his old school headphones & curly guitar lead.

Scott Henderson - left me a little cold but technique was impressive. Also better in the encores than during the initial solo set.

Steve Lukather - now here was the surprise package for me of the evening. I only know him from Toto and have always found them duller than dull. However "Luke" was obviously really up for a fun night out and was obviously having a great time playing off the other amazing guitarists on display. He couldn't stop smiling and having a good time ( a bit like me!) and really won me over. Great tone and jsut something different about his approch that I really liked.

Johnny A - I'd never heard of him before but he was pretty impressive at times if maybe looking alittle overawed at first.

My poor new wife thought she was maybe looking at 90 minutes or so of guitar craziness but wilted fast after the auction. She finally gave up at the encore stage but insisted that I hang on for the end of the gig - must have been another 5-6 songs or so - whilst she sat outside.

Looks like I may have picked a good 'un!
bmsguitarnut
Newcomer

Well, it took awhile but I finally have all of my pictures up on photobucket

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/bshpeley/

Sorry to make you guys wait, but I think you guys will like them. I never got a chance to take a picture of everyone though. There are a bunch of them that didn't turn out that great but for the most part the majority of the pictures are good.

Well let me know what you think.......

Bryan
brentm

bmsguitarnut wrote:Well, it took awhile but I finally have all of my pictures up on photobucket

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m62/bshpeley/

Sorry to make you guys wait, but I think you guys will like them. I never got a chance to take a picture of everyone though. There are a bunch of them that didn't turn out that great but for the most part the majority of the pictures are good.

Well let me know what you think.......

Bryan
w00t! Nice work man! I know that took a long time and it's deeply appreciated!
litlgrnman

Suh-Weeet! Nice work man! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I've been checking back frequently hoping you put them up. You really captured the energy. I remember seeing you take two or three of those. I had no idea you were that busy! It's going to take a couple of settings to get through all of them but page 11 really jumped out at me.

:headbang
Ugur Dariveren

Thank you bmsguitarnut.
Great pictures. Thanks for the share us :)
Seraphim

WOW!!! Thanks Brian!!! Wonderfull pictures!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!
resha

Super cool pics, I thought I was there for a moment!

Thanx a lot for sharing :P
weiht
Newcomer

Any idea if they r gg to release any dvd or cd on this? OMG, cant believe Steve actually played Tender Surrender. It like my favourite song of his, and I was convert once i heard it 1st time. Anyone knows why he hasnt been keen to play it in recent years?

When he was here in singapore 2 yrs ago, I was hoping he wld do it. Steve if you r reading this, PLS COME BACK AGAIN SOON!!!!!!!!