REVIEWS: 30 SEPT 2006 - The Cliff Show, WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
brentm

#31 Post by brentm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi Cosmos75.

It was great to meet you! Your wife was hilarious when she got Mr. Gilbert's autograph on her shirt. Priceless. :P :D

Cheers!
-Brent

wattam

Benefit concert

#32 Post by wattam » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:46 pm

Hello to all Vai forum members I met down front at the show! Just flew back home to Louisiana and am sooo glad that I decided to make the trip. The show was just amazing! It was worth the trip just to hear Steve....but the total show, the amount of talent in one place, and the quality and length of the show will make this one of the top 100 moments in my entire life!!! I can't believe I stood up for 7 hours and could still walk the next day! I also can't believe that, in such a short set, Steve would play Tender Surrender, FLOG, and Whispering.....3 of my favs (the last two always bring tears to my eyes). My friend Debbie had never seen Steve live since the Whitesnake days and was just totally blown away. She said later, "Now I get it! (my continuing love of this man and his music)" and is also totally hooked. She commented, hearing and seeing him live just totally blows away any recording - just impossible to capture the true essence of Steve on CD alone!

I had a chance to talk with Cliff after the show and he is such a charming man. I am so glad we could help him. It's a real testament to the kind of people Steve and Joe are that they would put this show together and give so much of themselves. Steve and Joe were pretty tired after that show (duh!) but were so gracious to chat with everybody.

Ran into Billy on the elevator down to the car and then Paul Gilbert at the valet stand - and Steve Lukather too! That was the perfect ending to a whirlwind weekend. I salute the people who traveled even further than I. It was worth it!!
Pat in Baton Rouge

marie
Newcomer

#33 Post by marie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:55 pm

I got to meet and talk with steve, what a guy!

brentm

#34 Post by brentm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:35 pm

jemgirl wrote:is the show recorded on video?
btw, awsome pics brent! thank you for sharing!!
The HOB had video rolling for monitors. Not sure if they were recording it. I would guess that they did, but I doubt it will be made available to the public. :( - Probably lots of legal issues surrounding that.

Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

#35 Post by Mikey » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:47 pm

The show was audio recorded, but not video.

Mikey :)
vai.com

Ugur Dariveren

#36 Post by Ugur Dariveren » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:05 am

Mikey wrote:The show was audio recorded, but not video.

Mikey :)
vai.com
It will be release?

bmsguitarnut
Newcomer

Front row pictures......

#37 Post by bmsguitarnut » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:56 am

The concert was amazing. I have only seen Joe live before, but to see Steve and all the others was awesome. I met so many people on the forum, so I had to join. It was cool hanging around before the show and on the floor. I was lucky to be standing front row center for most of the show, I ended up taking over 200 pictures!!! I will set up an acount with photobucket and post the pictures on there, so I hope you don't mind the wait. I would have to say that the pictures turned out great.

For the people I talked to at the show..... I was the Canadian with the really long hair. I was close to wattam, brentm, cnc74, and litlgrnman on the floor. It was great to meet all of you guys.

Sorry I didn't sit with you and the others marie..... I preferred front row :lol:

Brent, those pictures were pretty good man.

Those were some sweet notes Austin.

Well I will let you all know when I have the pictures posted, I am pretty sure you guys will all be impressed with the photos

Bryan

brentm

#38 Post by brentm » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 am

I was hoping you would show up! I know you have some killer pics! Can't wait to see.

-Brent

bmsguitarnut
Newcomer

#39 Post by bmsguitarnut » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:15 am

brentm, yeah I didn't get on here until last night but it is cool to see people from the show on here. You are right about the killer pics though..... when I got home and checked them out on my computer I couldn't believe how good they turned out. And I counted... I have 241 pictures.
Yeah I am still thinking about that cheap JSX.....
For those of you who weren't there....... They auctioned off a signed JSX combo amp (signed buy all the artists) and it only went for 1000, which is way below the retail price....... Hey, did anyone in the forum buy the amp???

Bryan

litlgrnman

#40 Post by litlgrnman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:39 am

Does anyone remember which song Sheila busted out that sick sax solo during Steve's set? I short-circuited at some point during the encore from heaven and lost a few tidbits here and there.

The thing that really stood out for me from the show was the sheer concentration and volume of talent assembled. Pound for pound that had to be the densest pool of wizardry on one stage at a given moment. I would call the show G8 (Vai, Satch, Paul, Dweezil, Johnny A, Scott Henderson, Johnny Hiland, and S. Luk) but that would neglect to mention the rest of the stellar cast: Billy, Dave, Jeremy, Sheila, Dave LaRue, Galen Henson and Jeff Campitelli.

The show definitely exposed some new veins of unexplored musical treasures for me. Scott Henderson's passion and intensity blew me away. I'm not a player so I'm not sure what it's called but he was using his foot to twist a little nob thingy (sorry for all the technical terms) while he was playing to produce some amazing sounds. The feeling and touch that Paul Gilbert produced caught me off guard. I haven't kept up with his career since the RacerX days so I was unaware of the full array of his abilities.

As much as I enjoyed the show I enjoyed the privelege of meeting all you wonderful vai.commers! Here's a pic of a few of us toward the beginning of our marathon:

MIA from the photo is brentm and his lovely wife whose name I forgot AGAIN :oops: . wattam, it was a pleasure to share the experience with you and Debbie. It makes an incredible experience that much more enjoyable when you can share it with others that are equally enthusiastic. bmsguitarnut, thanks in advance for the sick pix and I apologize in arrears for getting tangled up in your hair. LeslieM, were you the lovely lady to my right that I was talking to? Thanks to all of you (Cosmo75 and lovely wife, cnc74 and sis whose name I ALSO forgot AGAIN :oops: :oops: , Betty's daughters from San Diego :D )for adding to the thrill of a lifetime!

And thanks to Mikey for all the hard work as well as all the musicians that brought their A games in honor of Cliff.
Last edited by litlgrnman on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

EyE

#41 Post by EyE » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 am

litlgrnman wrote: cnc74 and sis whose name I ALSO forgot AGAIN :oops: :oops:
:? Nicole guys!! Nicole!! lol

litlgrnman wrote: And thanks to Mikey for all the hard work as well as all the musicians that brought their A games in honor of Cliff.
I second that! :wink:

cnc74

#42 Post by cnc74 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:26 am

That's a great pic, Jon. I had an absolute blast with all of you guys. Each and everytime I meet a Vai forum member, it's instant friendhsip. Maybe it's because we all have that love for Steve. We know what it feels like to have that one man tug at our heart strings and feed our emotions. You guys are the best, and I'm sure we will all meet again one fine day.
Much love to you all
Christin :wink:

jimmyjet
Newcomer

#43 Post by jimmyjet » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:14 pm

[quote="bmsguitarnut"]brentm, yeah I didn't get on here until last night but it is cool to see people from the show on here. You are right about the killer pics though..... when I got home and checked them out on my computer I couldn't believe how good they turned out. And I counted... I have 241 pictures.
Yeah I am still thinking about that cheap JSX.....
For those of you who weren't there....... They auctioned off a signed JSX combo amp (signed buy all the artists) and it only went for 1000, which is way below the retail price....... Hey, did anyone in the forum buy the amp???

Bryan[/quote]

I bought the amp and it’s beautiful. Nine signatures…Joe, Steve, Dweezil, Paul Gilbert, Jeff Campitelli, Galen Hensen, Dave LaRue, Johnny Hiland and 1 other I can’t figure out. I wish Billy Sheehan and Steve Lukather had signed it!!
Great show for a great cause!!!
IMO, Steve Lukather gave everyone a run for their money on Always With You, Always With Me......AMAZING!!!

Cheeop
Newcomer

My review

#44 Post by Cheeop » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Truly amazing, incredible show. One of the best shows I've ever been to!

I see several people asking for pictures in previous posts. Mine can be found here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/yosean/main ... ai_friends

Warning, they were all taken on a camera phone, not a real camera!

Here's my full review of the show:
http://concertreviewer.blogspot.com/200 ... iends.html

It's far more in depth than what you see in this post here, and I'm sure you will enjoy it tons.[/url]
Last edited by Cheeop on Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

brentm

#45 Post by brentm » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:23 pm

jimmyjet wrote: I bought the amp and it’s beautiful. Nine signatures…Joe, Steve, Dweezil, Paul Gilbert, Jeff Campitelli, Galen Hensen, Dave LaRue, Johnny Hiland and 1 other I can’t figure out. I wish Billy Sheehan and Steve Lukather had signed it!!
I was SOOOO going to bid 1,200 for it... going once, going twice... sold for 1,000.

Out of curiousity, how did you get it home? And where do you live?