REVIEWS: 23 JUNE 2006 - Zappa plays Zappa LOS ANGELES, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show in Los Angeles?

Please post your reviews here!

Jeroen :)
vai.com
The Wolf

This show was absolutely incredible. Dweezil was on fire and he absolutely ripped it up. And the band he assembled was incredible, too. There were some absolutely awesome keyboard and sax solos in there from the band members. And need I mention that Napoleon Murphy Brock and Terry Bozzio (despite an injured arm, he played the drums one armed, def Leppard style) rocked it enthusiastically. And Steve seriously rocked it too! They all came together as this cohesive unit, that belted out almost all the songs I was hoping to hear. I couldn't have imagined a better show. Seriously great stuff. I'm honored that I got to experience such an incredible show. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
litlgrnman

What an amazing night! I made the trip from Nebraska to L.A. a year ago last April to see the last RI:R US tour stop and Dweezil came out to join Steve and The Breed for My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama. I remember watching that in total awe. I figured it might be the only chance I would get to see Steve performing Zappa with Zappa! I also remember being blown away by Dweezil's talent and performance. When I found out about the ZPZ tour I flipped! I decided what better place to see it than the home show in L.A. I snapped up a couple of tickets in the g.a. pit and told my friend I'd be taking her to see something special. We got to the venue a little early as to find a decent spot close to the stage. I knew things were going to work out well when we got down to the floor and there were just a few people by the stage on Steve's side. The bonus was that the two lovely ladies standing right in front of Steve spot couldn't have been taller than 4'6"!!! I positioned myself between and behind them and thanked them for being so short.

The show started promptly at 8 with the video. I was expecting the 20-25 minutes that I've been reading about but to my surprise after 5 or 7 minutes the band showed up! That was ok with me. I would love to see the rest of it but I standing there so close to the stage looking at the instruments I was starving to see ZPZ in action. My suspicion that the "home" show might afford some surprises was quickly confirmed. Dweezil announced that the first song to be played was a rarity on the tour. Yipee! They opened the show with Stinkfoot! I have to admit that I'm not as well versed as some with Zappa's voluminous catalogue and didn't recognize it. What was obvious to me was the signature Zappa style and sense of humor. Napoleon and the band delivered it expertly and with passion. The sound was impeccable. The crowd reception to the band was heartfelt and appreciative. Dweezil mentioned that some people had warned him about expecting too much from the l.a. crowd but the smile on his face showed that he was genuinely happy to be home and playing in front of friends and family. The atmosphere was electric and I can't imagine what must have been running through is head as he pounded out his fathers creations on his home turf with a world class band.

Dweezil's playing is fantastic! When I saw him join Steve last year I remember being pleasantly shocked! Last night his nimble digits ably danced around the fretboard as Frank's music flowed through him. He seriously NAILED shit! It was fun to watch. The band followed his cues flawlessly as well. I believe Dweezil and the band are as excited about performing this music as the crowds are to hear it and it shows.

The only complaint I have about the show is that you can't watch everyone all the time! At any given moment each musician is busting out some serious chops. The core band lived up to all the hype I've read about in other reviews. Scheila is a ball of fire! She's constantly moving to the beat and seriously brought the house down with her sax solo in King Kong. Dweezil's band direction part was killer. Aaron's keyboard solo was insane.

Terry strutted out on stage and apologized for not being able to play the drums. I could see the purple and black bicep through his mesh shirt. I had been anxiously awaiting the privilege of seeing him annihilate the drums but it will have to wait for another day. That man oozes energy and brought a heightened intensity to the show just when you didn't think it could be taken up a notch. He delivered Punky's Whips, I'm So Cute and Trying to Grow a Chin with ferocity! Occasionally between lyrics he'd run back, pick up a stick and us his capable arm to smash a cymbal or two on Joe's set in perfect syncopation. I didn't think Terry would even approach his drums but he saddled up and busted out some one armed solos that would have Rick Allen wetting himself. What a beast!

When Thomas Nordegg scurried out sneakily during a song and fiddled around with Steve's station I knew the man would soon be on stage. :guitar I could see the neck of FLO popping out from the side of the stage and knew the moment I had been waiting for was at hand. Dweezil announced that more special guestS were on the way out and Steve appeared to a rousing ovation (I think I sprained my face what with all the whistlng, screaming and smiling) with none other than Diva Muffin Zappa, the youngest of Frank's children. She appeared to be a smidgen on the nervous side and for a moment I thought she might just wave and then boogie off the stage. In fact, she decided to stay and boogie ON the stage for a song! By this time the two vertically accommodating ladies had parted slightly and made way for my fanatic ass up against the guard rail DIRECTLY in front of Steve. Ding Ding Ding we have a winna! Other than the material being played, my 12th time witnessing Steve grace the stage was not different than those preceding it. For me watching Steve perform live is like getting the chance to watch Picasso paint. We don't see all of the effort he puts into mastering his craft. We just see him shining like the sun. The solo exchanges with Dweezil and Jamie were classic but the highlight of the show for me had to be the oft and amiably described Zomby Woof solo. :shock: Steve is continually transcending to a higher level. thank you thank you thank you Steve!

The band didn't take a break. I think there may be restrictions at the Wiltern preventing a show from exceeding 11pm. As the show came to a close then entire band (and Diva) assembled to take a bow. After everyone left the stage Dweezil approached us and started shaking hands. I was fortunate enough to get to shake his hand and express my humble gratitude. You could see the pride and joy and sense of fulfillment to have just shared his father's amazing work in his home town. Steve actually had to come back on stage and grab Dweezil and pull him away from the adoring fans and head back stage. What a night! I might have to have plastic surgery to have my smile removed! :mrgreen:

Oh yes, and Mikey was everywhere snapping well timed photos and hopefully video of Steve's ZW solo. Mikey, after your much deserved rest please sprinkle some of the goodies our way.

p.s. Can't wait for KC. Any chance we'll see Stevie's Spanking?

jemmaster7

Its was an awesome show I was visiting LA at the time