REVIEWS: 15 MAY 2006 - Zappa Plays Zappa AMSTERDAM. HOLLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Claus P

#16 Post by Claus P » Tue May 16, 2006 7:07 am

Great pics - can't wait for the next serie. Noboby has mentioned Ahmet Z - didn't he participate?Can hardly wait for the next gig in Copenhagen - i'll be there.

EyE

#17 Post by EyE » Tue May 16, 2006 7:19 am

Claus P wrote:Great pics - can't wait for the next serie. Noboby has mentioned Ahmet Z - didn't he participate?Can hardly wait for the next gig in Copenhagen - i'll be there.
Nope!! No Ahmet!! I expected him to be on this tour but i don't know what the reason is why he isn't!

cbr1000f

#18 Post by cbr1000f » Tue May 16, 2006 7:45 am

Nope!! No Ahmet!! I expected him to be on this tour but i don't know what the reason is why he isn't!
Found this in a recent interview with Dweezil:
Will he (=Ahmet) still be part of the tour now that it has been re-scheduled?

DZ: I believe he will. He does have some scheduling conflicts since the tour was moved to 2006. He will most likely be performing as a special guest at different locations when he is available.

http://www.zappa.com/zpz/clippings_dzinterview.html

cnc74

#19 Post by cnc74 » Tue May 16, 2006 9:11 am

EyE wrote:
merlinlake78 wrote:Hey ( whistles ;-) ) .. come on ..more pics please .hehehe

What a stunning beyond amazing show ..
We'll have to waite. I know Jeroen and Nicole and Christin took some pictures. All in time!! :wink:
Hey guys,
I have some great photos of the show. I will be home tomorrow, and I will post pics, and a review as soon as I walk through the door.
Christin :wink:

jeejee
Newcomer

#20 Post by jeejee » Tue May 16, 2006 11:29 am

you axed for it ... so here's some more pics.
@jeroen : I guess posting crappy vids from a digital camera is against forum policy ?

Besides Steve, I was so impressed with the talents of the other musicians. Especially Scheila Gonzales on horns & keyboards - and what a voice ...
Napoleon also switched so easily from singing to sax or flute ... oh men ...

so happy

#21 Post by so happy » Tue May 16, 2006 1:27 pm

Just landed in UK after seeing the show.......3 words come to mind.....OH_MY_GOD!......speechless... An Utterly momentous, astounding presentation.
This has to be one for the history books....quite possibly one of, if not THE richest musical experience I've ever been blessed to witness.

Can only feel to thank all the amazingly talented musicians in the band for what must have been immeasurable amounts of work and commitment to this project to produce and perform Franks music with such expertise, flair & panache! far exceeding any possible expectation one may have had in the build up to such an historic event.

And to cap it all, the unmistakable sense of Franks ascended soul smiling down with so much love on the event, there can be no prouder father at any level than that of Dweezil's...Man....the cool of the cool.... big up & blessings dude...your solo in Inca roads was unbelievable!!

I mean you guys........what a trip!! Take a bow from us all in punter land!

As for Steve....man!.....or should I say.....'part man, part out of control jack hammer'...that was one hilarious moment!......and the black page...out of this world man.

Great to see Christin at the gig, and likewise to meet Steve again and to exchange a few words of mutual respect for Dweezil. If you get this dude, forgot to mention I read the book you recommended, interesting, respect 2 u for not answering question 10.

Peace & thanx all, my musical brain zone is a far richer and greatly inspired place for this experience.

Like I said....speechless!.......have to sleep........Oh no!.......Can't sleep........nested triplets will eat me in my dreams!....

G.

:wink:

suedehead
Newcomer

#22 Post by suedehead » Tue May 16, 2006 11:39 pm

I've put some of my pics up here http://www.flickr.com/photos/karenhendrix
Enjoy!

NantucketSleighrider

#23 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Wed May 17, 2006 1:06 am

Man, I am gutted I ain't goin! Has anyone got a setlist? Did they play anything from Freak Out, Bongo Fury, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Jazz From Hell?

francktira

Thanks

#24 Post by francktira » Wed May 17, 2006 4:12 am

Thanks for the pics Suedehead, they are superb!!!! :D

Sonia

bike

#25 Post by bike » Wed May 17, 2006 4:24 am

here's a review I just found:
http://www.oor.nl/deruit_concertverslag ... asp?id=273

Too bad I don't understand much of it ;) Babelfish does a nice job though in translating it from dutch to english :wink:

suedehead
Newcomer

#26 Post by suedehead » Wed May 17, 2006 4:35 am

@Sonia: Glad you liked them!
I took loads more, but I've already exceeded my upload capacity on flickr for this month .. But I will upgrade my account in a couple days so I can put the rest of them up there as well.
The ones of Steve turned out pretty well .. but it wasn't that difficult as we were standing right in front of his nose :D

I don't know Frank Zappa's work that well, but I thought the show was awesome,

Karen

NantucketSleighrider

#27 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Wed May 17, 2006 6:04 am

Is that legendary percussionist Ruth Underwood?!?!?!? Can someone confirm this?!?!?

bike

#28 Post by bike » Wed May 17, 2006 6:14 am

I don't think so, in the dutch review it says that the percussionist Billy Hulting is doing Ruth Underwood's job (that's what I think it says, I am German :))

so happy

#29 Post by so happy » Wed May 17, 2006 6:37 am

Just to confirm, Ruth Underwood is not part of the line-up (sadly), though her replacement Billy Hulting did an awesome performance.
Taken from a recent post elsewhere from a guy who was invited to the dress rehearsals in the states :

....."Ruth Underwood was at the second rehearsal, marveling at the skills of vibes/hand percussion player Billy Hulting, wondering how he can handle those four mallets with such cool expertise. (Billy, in turn, was marveling over how Ruth ever handled Mothers arrangements with only two mallets.) But Hulting is not only cool, he's the essence of bongo fury when necessary; his note-for-note stretches with the blistering Vai and his climactic vibe solo will be breathtaking to anyone who grew up with Zappa's intricate arrangements ringing in his ears"..........

:o

slash89

#30 Post by slash89 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:53 am

Oh boy! I'll see them all tomorrow!! In Oslo, Norway! I just can't wait :D