REVIEWS: 18 MARCH 2006 - MOSCOW, RUSSIA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

REVIEWS: 18 MARCH 2006 - MOSCOW, RUSSIA

#1 Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Did you attend the Masterclass with Steve at DK Gorbunova?

Please post your reviews and photos here.

Thanks!

Mikey
vai.com

Row2Place27Bell
Newcomer

#2 Post by Row2Place27Bell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Steve, thank you very much!!!

COME AGAIN!!! 8)

kanchi
Newcomer

#3 Post by kanchi » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:55 am

That was great!!! Hope to see him again next year, this time with the band. :roll:

Artyom
Newcomer

#4 Post by Artyom » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:50 am

Steve, thank you for all! That was godlike! I have no words to describe my impressions! Wish to see you as soon as possible in Moscow!

De Niss
Newcomer

#5 Post by De Niss » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:41 am

I have written one review in Russian forums, and found people who agree with me, so I just put a translation here:

-------
This was most useful and emotionally pleasant guitar clinic I ever seen before. Really. Steve was able to find ideal balance between music and talks; everything was as much as required. He has created serious topics from simple questions. He was always in contact with audience. Both composed music and spontaneous improvisations were there. He was able to explain and illustrate, that music is coming from inside, but it is still a hard work.

Very deep self-reflection… it is incredible, when such a great musician does not say something like "well, I just listen to radio and - ah! - create a melody…" No! Steve cuts himself, his inner world, into pieces, he analyses everything, he shows everything. And when you get it mixed with live sound, concert atmosphere, his words come right into your mind, into your heart. I mean, everybody can understand his words, irrespective of professional level.

Well, many times Steve talked about something, which is not new, like "for me, the music is most important"… but when he says it, you can understand how deep is this phrase, how it essential for Steve, and how he build his life on this 'simple' base.

I have many impressions, but when I was coming back from the clinic, two reflections were in my mind.

So they are first, immediate results for me.

First: it is useless to copy Steve Vai.

When I went to clinic, one of thing I wanted to do was to make video record of For the Love of God, in details, in order to get something useful for myself from this video later…
But then Steve told about how his music was created.
Sometimes, he finds an image or situation and tries to 'sound' like this image.
Sometimes, he thinks about people and relations - and their figures give birth to music.
Sometimes he just play exercises and chords, trying to hear and find something new.
Sometimes he sing along with chord progression and record himself, and listen those record after some time to find interesting ideas.
But most beautiful, most essential music has been created, when he starts to listen with his 'inner ear' - something, which is very personal, which flew through his heart, something, which sounds in his mind.
When all those Steve's ideas had reached me, and when Steve had started to play For the Love of God in the end, I have suddenly realized, how useless is precise video. There is something personal behind sounds, which I can feel and understand now, but camera cannot shoot it.
Steve's music will remain his personal music.

Second idea is as follows. We are occupied with our problems, our troubles, our jobs, and we will not have a time to learn everything in music and guitar, or even 50% of it. The farther you go, the more unexplored lands you see. But every and each of us can and must learn how to hear the I, to feel and response to our personal, internal world, to take it out in form of sounds, music, and to show ourselves - this is what I am, and this is MY music… it doesn't matter, how good or bad it is… it doesn't matter if anybody else need this music… we need it ourselves. I'm sure, everyone has a time and opportunity to do it.
---------

Thank you, Steve!

Dennis.

SRVoodoo

#6 Post by SRVoodoo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:22 pm

nicely done moy druk!
we should all learn as much from Steve's instruction

SRVoodoo

#7 Post by SRVoodoo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:24 pm

post deleted
Last edited by SRVoodoo on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

uhuman
Newcomer

Thanx!

#8 Post by uhuman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:04 pm

That was realy great!
Best of all!!!

De Niss
Newcomer

#9 Post by De Niss » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:53 pm

2 SRVoodoo:
Better dont write something you cannot understand. You old friend was big joker :? :twisted:

lastmohican

#10 Post by lastmohican » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:57 am

Any more picd¡s Dennis?
:lol:

Thx for the review
:wink:

SRVoodoo

#11 Post by SRVoodoo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:50 am

De Niss wrote:2 SRVoodoo:
Better dont write something you cannot understand. You old friend was big joker :? :twisted:
sorry. did not mean to offend.

De Niss
Newcomer

#12 Post by De Niss » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:20 pm

More pics....

_id13_
Newcomer

#13 Post by _id13_ » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:29 pm

Some photos from the autograph session at 18/03/2006

_id13_
Newcomer

#14 Post by _id13_ » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:42 pm

Strange, but after a meeting with him I can't listen to his music... It for me now how to be the fan of the own neighbour.... Something has changed in me, plainly I can not explain that yet.... If it is global, I has changed the relation to music, recognition and understanding of music... Though new from him I have not learned anything.

Sergio
Newcomer

Master Class

#15 Post by Sergio » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:04 am

Thank you VERY MUCH, Steve!!! It was great to take some lessons from your master class!!! :D
You inspired me to go on with music and guitar playing, discovering new horizonts of sound and playing technics!
The autmospher was very warm and magical :guitar
Thank you from my girlfriend - you signed her T-shirt !! It was cool!!!
Hope to see you soon in Russia again!!

Your music is magical!