REVIEWS: 19 NOVEMBER - ANKARA, TURKEY

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you attend this show in Ankara, Turkey?

Steve and the band loves reading your reviews, so post them here!

--
J :)
volvox
Newcomer

Yeah!
I was at the concert. I actually arrived home right now... The band's performance was worth seeing, BUT!!!! The organization firm (called RTN Organization) messed up everything. They had sold way too many tickets than the capacity of the concert hall and many people suffered due to that!
When we arrived at the place in time, the queue was already 250m, but that didn't stop us from waiting for the concert.
After the ticket control, with a slight touch of worries that we wouldn't be able to see the band, we entered the hall, well actually we gave it a try! But it was terribly full. It was impossible to get to the toilettes, which are actually in the very entrance of the hall!!!!!
Then we came to understand that the organization company had sold far too many tickets in the name of ROCK'N'ROLL!!!! What a shame... Was it too expensive to rent a bigger place, I wonder....!!!!!?????!!!!! Or was it too difficult to imagine that the tickets thay had sold were too many that the place would be very small???? Why the hell on earth did they sell so many tickets???? What can be the reason behind that act? (Stinks...)
Then we (many people) decided to leave the place and asked for refund. But the organizator (Emre Alkoc) was way too arrogant that he didn't even care to listen to our complaints.
While we were fighting for our rights outside the concert hall, the BEAUTIFUL concert had already started and we couldn't even catch a glimpse of it even though we were too close....
In the end, they refused to refund our money and left us to our own destiny... Take it or leave it...
They got our money using Steve Vai's name and it seemed that the rest was not very imposrtant for them. Totally commercilal!
A few people (including me and my friend) didn't give up easily, cause afterall we had come there to listen to a piece of art, and we ended up at the VIP lounge (of course not by the helps of the organization company, but by the helps of the management of the concert hall).... What a favor! Jesus christ....
The most terrifying part was that after the nice concert when we tried to get out of the VIP lounge , we were not allowed to go out!!!!!!!!!! They had told us to leave the hall from the back door which was stuck with other people who were trying to get out.
In short!:

This was a terrible mistake and very irresponsible of the company.
I hope that Steve Vai never works with that cheap company again...
And once more, thanx to Steve Vai and his crew!
volvox
Last edited by volvox on Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RichieSambora
Newcomer

Yeah you are true.Crawd was a big trouble in Istanbul too.Many people crushed eachother in front of the stage.Vai must choose big places to play,Both for him and us :) But despite everything,Mr.Vai and band were Great.Thank you for coming :!:
Little_Dreamer

For me it was a very strange experience too, as my I.D. was not very right :lol: Don't get me wrong, normally i don't do something like this but this 18+ thing for Steve's concert is just stupid :evil:
so they didn't let me in first :cry: (i was that guy with the Queen shirt standing in front of the club) but i didn't give up and finally they let me in because it was raining and very cold, so i just got in at the end of Tony's solo...(big thanx to the guy who let me in 8) ) somehow i managed to get to the middle of the crowd and was able to enjoy this beautiful concert :D
it was the second time i saw Steve live and it was so great!!!!
The whole band was in a very good mood and very funny, Steve made a lot of jokes and Jeremy was awsome :shock:
Thank you so much Steve, Billy, Tony, Jeremy, Dave and all the other people who helped making this take part, you're the greatest!!!
BtW, to all the other Vai Fans from Ankara, if you play an instrument or sing, let's meet and play some music together :wink:
Guitarcraft
Newcomer

Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic...

After show...

http://www.gitarturk.com/aftershow3.mp3
nienturi

What a day&night!

Some friends mentioned about how organization firm sucked. I can agree some points but they had done quite well at the firts Vai concert in 20th April, 2000. This time, yeah, there were some problems. But most of them were about structure of the hall. Moreover, i think, there is no better place in Ankara. Anyway, there was a really huge crowd but unfortunately i was not happy about it because there were many people like "hey theres a guitarist called steve vai who has a song called for the love of god".

First of all, i was from another city, not from Ankara. So we made a 4 houred road trip first to reach. At 15:00 we were at the doors of hall. I lived my most memorable moments because i met some "friends" like E.Sardinas, TMac, Mikey (thanks dude) and finally, what was the name of the guy, hah Steve Vai :) We could meet with him at last. What a shock! I forgot how to speak english (actually how to speak Turkish, either) and had a serious knee vibrations :) I got picks of him&TMac and i HAVE TO thank to Mikey about it. (I hope you all like your presents)

And time passed and we hang out and came togather with some friend around. While we were getting into the hall, Mr.Sardinas had been on stage and playing his own stuff. He had huge potential. I wish that he wont fade away in the walls of music business stuff and be more famous as he deserve.

In the heat of the night, Steve&Breed got into the stage. What a chaos :) They began with "glorious" i think :) Woaaw...There was a great show but i found the audience as little bit frozen and sluggish :) Ok there were "reaction" for the "effects" but we had more in 2000 where the song called "incantation" recoreded. What he did from "flex-able" were so nice. I mean espeacially "the boy-girl song"

I really enjoyed Dave Weiners solo section. It would be great to hear the tunes of "long run" from his solo album. But next time, i hope :)

In the song "lotus feet" my ears needed to hear more keyboards instead of its absence. But for all, still very impressive track.

Its greatly cool to see TMac and Sheehan changed their instruments. Moreover Shehaan performed a solo and this was not a simple thing.

At the end of the show, was sad i think. I knew that no matter how loud we were screaming Steve's name, roadies were getting everthing prepare for moving. And he had just stood alone, staired a while, and had a speech. I think Steve does it everywhere:) but was so memorable. But the most memorable is to be there, share great music and atmosphere, meeting with them. I dont know when will i get a chance to repeat it but, as long as i live, i will wait.

At last but noe least, i 'd like to thank; to my dear friends Ozan and Erdem(my road trippers), Mikey (for picks and help/hope you like your little present), Guven Erkin Erkal (from Yuxexes magazine/for invitation stuff), Steve Vai (for great show and what he said outside of tha hall/hope he liked his present), Abit (for contribution and friendship), TMac (for sincere and close approach while i had a knee vibration), and everyone who i forgot...

Soon i will add pictures...
yyazic1
Newcomer

i saw steve during this tour when they were in chicago last time. i knew how great this would be but they even topped that. i mean how can you improve what is perfect? the answer is putting 5 kick-ass maestros in one band and letting them play.

this is the tightest, most talented band on earth. i guess it is indisputible. the band members are not only virtuosos on their instruments but some of them are also über-good at each others'. it is not only a rock concert but also a spectacular show. i don't know how we will wait until next time.

it looks like steve has come to a point where he left nothing undiscovered about the instrument. he is at a virtuoso level that leaves him at the top with a handful of electric guitarist.

steve says billy is the greatest rock bass player ever to walk the earth. and it can only be true and then some. he had this 10 minute solo where he left everybody's jaws hanging open. the man just shredded away and away. and the best thing was all these things happening three feet away from me. i truly witnessed a miracle. (by the way million thanks for spotting me in the crowd billy, i missed to meet you guys in Istanbul but you made me the happiest fan when you reached and shook my hand at the end.) then as if it was not enough he took tony's guitar and shredded even some more. just like steve he sets an example with his nice attitude. truly a good man, good human being.

tony is a double virtuoso. his keyboard solo was amazing. the crowd did not pay enough respect and kept chattering when he was playing the solo so that was kind of bad. but the guy is so nice so he will not make a big deal out of it. and with his bass skills he layed the groove so well. i wonder how many more things he can play.

jeremy is full of energy. and he likes what he does. he is a very versatile drummer. the guy would be very comfortable in any band on earth. he also had a 10 minute solo which showed his huge talent at a very young age. he showed a piece of almost every style. very cool guy too. if you see him he will talk to you and hang out any moment. very nice guy.

dave too, just like jeremy, is way ahead at his age. he kept the rhytym section solid and shredded the hell out of the guitar when he needed to. definitely a star in the future. and he is the most approacheable guy I have ever seen. he is so cool to talk to.

i'm thankful to have seen the band full of magic hands (and feet due to jeremy :) ). on top of that they are genuine human beings. always cool, humble and having fun with each other. i'm sad that they might not be back for a while.

i'm hoping they had great time here. i hope they found the time to get around. i hope they departed with good memories so they will look forward to come back.

it would be great if steve came back with the G3! please steve. convince joe about it.

IMPORTANT:
one final note about the venue. the place took like half an hour to fully empty. if there was a fire or an emergency like that it would be a disaster. the management of the venue should consider that possibility. these things are only a matter of when but if. that place needs to have more and bigger exits.

the breed!! thanks for coming. thanks for the show. take care until next time...

yigit
volvox
Newcomer

IMPORTANT:
one final note about the venue. the place took like half an hour to fully empty. if there was a fire or an emergency like that it would be a disaster. the management of the venue should consider that possibility. these things are only a matter of when but if. that place needs to have more and bigger exits.
This is not only the venue's responsibility. The organization firm was supposed to calculate this before the concert and not sell many more tickets than necessary.

And of course the venue management was supposed to check the situation earlier. There was no cooperative working between them and the organization firm whatsoever. :!: :roll:
nienturi

JessieNYC
Newcomer

Hey Nienturi-great photos!! Some of the best I've seen! Did you get any of the Eric Sardinas band? :D Thanks! J.
treeduck

Nice photos nien...

:)
nienturi

Thank you a lot. But the last ones are not mine. So that all thanks are going for the photographer :)
I was just a messenger :)
silentwithin
Newcomer

More than two hours of waiting to get inside... "wrestling" to get to the front lines... building calf muscles like a mule from tiptoeing (to see the stage)... so crowded that if you lift a foot there is no space on the ground to put it back down...

BUT... THE CONCERT WAS WORTH EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!

Thank you Mr. Vai and the Breed for making this concert one of the most memorable events of my life!!!
Last edited by silentwithin on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
saydam85
Newcomer

Hey friends! Vai is very very good performed in Ankara. I'm heraing, My guitar want's to kill your mama and For the love of god is very happy me. Thanks Vai Thanks RTM , Yhanks Saklıkent And all Vai fans.
nienturi