REVIEWS: 24 OCTOBER - MANCHESTER, ENGLAND

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Spadge
Newcomer

Absolutely everything I hoped it would be, and then some.

A fantastic experience that left me inspired.

Great chemistry on stage, its probably the first time I have had a laugh at a music concert, Vai's quip about his legs thinking there Prince at the start of the show was a classic.
Also, its been mentioned before, but respect to Vai for his willingness to take a back seat and allow The Breed to shine, Sheehan and Macalpine were as I expected.... brilliant, Dave was solid, but the unexpected gem was Jeremy, who not only did it, but F"@K!^G did it... you'll know what I mean if you were there.

Eric Sardinas and his band were brilliant.

I have to add my voice to the list of people, seemingly at every venue who have been saying, that the band were extremely loud, this is no word of a lie, but at certain angles my nostrils flared with the sheer amount of bass rattling out.... its not like me to say turn it down, but, ouch-a-rama.

Anyway, a minor quibble, the night was amazing.

A quick shout out to the couple that were kind enough to call a taxi for me from Blackrod, much appreciated.
Andelusion

:o

Incredible night!

My first Vai show. I really really liked Eric's music, i hadn't heard him before until last night but i'm definitely going to get him album.

It was so awesome when the Dying For Your Love groove opened then Steve came out for Glorious :D

I really can't describe how amazed i was to actually see Steve there in person after seeing him in photos/on videos for so many years before hand :)

The crowd were great and really showed their appreciation, Steve sincerely looked touched by the warmness of the crowd.

I just can't wait until he comes here again :)

Edit: Was the fella with the camera Mikey?! lol Wow if yes then i've seen the famous Mikey in person for the first time too :D hehe.

If it was Mikey: How many shows are you recording? I'd love to see a little footage from last night as you must be able to see me somewhere i was waving my arms like mad hhe..
treeduck

The whole day was fabulous: the EVO experience, the show itself and the fantastic people I met from here on the Vai board and at the show. Steve was incredible and so were the whole band - particularly Billy and Tony who both played some unbelievable stuff. Jeremy and Dave were great too, I particularly enjoyed Jeremy's performance during the acoustic set and overall he did an excellent job.

After holding EVO in my hands and then seeing Steve in action I realised just how much Steve makes his guitar come alive, as if he's switching on the music by some magical process. He was totally impressive. Eric Sardinas was an electric performer I really enjoyed his set, though I missed the beginning, whoops too busy in the bar... As for the volume well I was in the first row downstairs and I didn't find it too loud at all, in fact it was just right and no ear plugs were required, though Mikey kindly gave me a set. I've never used ear plugs before so I didn't even try them, hey this is a ROCK CONCERT it's meant to be loud. The balance and mix were spot on too, I could hear everything more or less perfectly all the way through and that was for nigh on four hours including Eric's set.

So no complaints at all from me except maybe Apollo security who after the show forced Eric to go outside in the rain to meet fans after kicking everyone out, not that Eric minded he was totally cool.

Thanks to all concerned for a great night.
BobsterLobster

ROCK KITTEN 76 wrote:BobsterLobster was that you who i had a chat with by the doors and through the show..about your cam..hey thats a lovely review! by the way glad you came along to share that to all the fans :wink:
kittzzz
Yep, that was me... I'm so jealous of all you EVO folks. I thought the money was steep when the tickets came out, but with hindsight I should have paid up. What a great change this concert was from the mainstream posers I usually photograph!

Other things I wanted to talk about in the review but ran out of words include:
'Lotus Feet' and the amazing 'Becoming' song that came before it. The subtlety of expression was incredible. The music almost floated off to another world just before the start of 'Lotus Feet'.
The lovely woman who was sat next to me who kept shrieking with excitement all the way through the gig. It really helped me enjoy the show, despite all the ageing rockers who sat rigid in their seats staring at Steve's hands.
Not a fan of Sardinas, but thought it would be better to leave this out.
Some quirky and interesting choices for the set-list... 'boy-girl' song was a brave choice! Loved the 'Bill & Ted' tune. Excellent!
Lovely woman mentioned above said to my friend on the way out, 'Steve takes his music very seriously, but not himself'. Great quote!
And loads more, but I'll leave it at that.
BobsterLobster

richbooth wrote:Firstly, what a fantastic show by Eric Sardinas and his new band...
If you would like further information on Eric then check out his official website:
http://www.ericsardinas.com
fansite: http://bluesboyking.tripod.com/ericsardinas

Richard Booth.
http://bluesboyking.tripod.com/ericsardinas
It was good to meet you, Richard! Sorry I didn't get a chance to take any photos of Eric for you, maybe the next time!

Bob
mylifeboat
Newcomer

Awesome! and then some.
KeithH

Hi everyone,
I went to the EVO and was surprised how warm, patient and accommodating Steve was with everyone, answering all questions with a full explanation (not just yes/no) and often a funny story, he had us all in the palm of his hand, hanging on every word. I certainly feel like I know more about him now. I had psyched myself up to meeting him (after being a fan for 20 years and hanging around the stage doors at many of his concerts over the years hoping for a quick handshake or a hello). When it came to the Q and A I just sat there mortified, terrified to open my mouth.

Got my guitar & a couple of CDs signed, and a pic of me with Steve. (although my shit digital camera has taken it all streaky). Overall though it was a highlight in my life to meet the man I have worshipped since a boy. My wife loved chatting to him as well, we thoroughly enjoyed the day.

On to the gig. I havent seen Steve play the audience is listening before, expect a small snip during his solo spot in the whitesnake gig donington 1990. To see it played in full was certainly a treat, its one of my favourites. Lets have "I would love to" back though, eh Steve ? I havent seen this played since g3 1997 !

The Real Illusions material certainly came alive on that stage, Ive listened to it since with a whole new understanding of each song now Ive seen how it all fits together. Lotus Feet was heartbreakingly beautiful, its gorgeous melodies and rich harmonies washing over the audience who were spellbound by the performance. Same with Whispering a Prayer, which silenced the audience.

All in all one of the best concerts Ive ever been to, Steve was exceptional, and his band have to be seen to be believed, Ive been a big fan of Billys since the DLR days as well its always a pleasure watching him. Tony. Dave and Jeremy were on top form too. PS Love the lasers Steve !

Only one drawback, ever since I walked out of the Apollo, Ive been so down in the dumps, as the reality of our boring jobs comes back after such a high, seeing how the other half live. Anyone else get this ?
richbooth
Newcomer

BobsterLobster wrote:
richbooth wrote:Firstly, what a fantastic show by Eric Sardinas and his new band...
If you would like further information on Eric then check out his official website:
http://www.ericsardinas.com
fansite: http://bluesboyking.tripod.com/ericsardinas

Richard Booth.
It was good to meet you, Richard! Sorry I didn't get a chance to take any photos of Eric for you, maybe the next time!

Bob
Cheers Bob!

Good to meet you also. Glad you enjoyed the show and see you soon!

Richard
metalus

Hey Guys.

After my review on page 1 of this thread. I've uploaded some pics i took on the night. I put them on my space. They are not to bad considering i didn't use the flash. Go have a look and let me know what you think please!.

www.myspace.com/metalus

Kind regards.

Loz :D
Philth
Newcomer

Simply an awesome gig. Great sound, I was in the venue just a few nights before having my ears tortured by much louder and unbalanced music from another band who I was dragged to see. It was a pleasure to have a clear mix with a volume that didn't make my ears ring afterwards.

Everyone was on form, Dave Weiner is really coming along now :wink:
All the solo pieces blew me away especially Jeremy who is the best drummer I have ever had the pleasure to witness. That guy has a sense of rhythm unlike any other. Billy as always was a great guy on stage with plenty of humour and the chops of the greatest bassist that ever lived.

Then of course we have Steve who, as always, was a complete pleasure to watch and listen to. And still he's improving. All the new material was great, Building the Church and Lotus Feet being major highlights alongside Freak Show which was completely mind blowing! No other band on the planet could do this stuff and that's the sheer beauty. They not only play this stuff but play it genuinely, easily and emotionally.

All in all an amazing night that topped all the other Vai gigs I've been to.
BobsterLobster

metalus wrote:Hey Guys.

After my review on page 1 of this thread. I've uploaded some pics i took on the night. I put them on my space. They are not to bad considering i didn't use the flash. Go have a look and let me know what you think please!.

www.myspace.com/metalus

Kind regards.

Loz :D
Is there any way to see the photos without having an account?
lilyannie

Hi, I just want to say a very very big thank you to Mr Vai for signing my portraits of him, these are our family treasures now and will be passed onto generations to come.
During the last six weeks, I have been dabbing with a small paint brush covering every millimetre of my canvases, watching this great guitarist materialised slowly - like magic, could you imagine how I felt when I am confronted with the real person? Just wished I had bought an EVO ticket then Mr Vai could view these paintings closely.
The concert was absolutely superb even though my eardrums were burning and my heart was pounding, a great chance to become a teenager again I supposed.

Sorry fans I do not know how to attach the signed painting.

Mr Vai, when you have finished your tours and you would like one of my new and better portraits of you, I will post it to you at no cost.
Thank you again Mr Vai and please look after yourself during your tours. Lily

Mr BobsterLobster, your pictures are out of this world, if you get am email requesting for higher resolutions of your images, it is me Lily.
BobsterLobster

lilyannie wrote:Mr BobsterLobster, your pictures are out of this world, if you get am email requesting for higher resolutions of your images, it is me Lily.
Hi Lily,
I've already had a few requests for photos.
Because I was given a press pass for this concert, I have to turn them down otherwise I will be depriving Mr. Vai of his merchandising profits. If Steve's marketing guys decide to buy the photos from me, I'm sure you'll be able to get them through official channels that way.
Thanks,
Bob
Juice777

I gotta say, that was the most incredible gig I have EVER been to. Sat in the third row, right in front of Billy, and so I got a good view of the whole stage. Eric Sardinas is, as his bassist said, a legend, and really rocked out. Gotta respect a man with that much attitude and the skill to back it up! Steve's set, well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Absolutely mind-boggling virtuosity, showmanship, charisma and passion. This show solidified my opinion that Steve is the greatest guitarist yet to have walked this planet, and Billy? Sweeping on a bass?!! Phenomenal. The Breed were the tightest band I've heard besides Dream Theater, who are machines anyway so can't really be compared!! Jeremy is an awesome drummer, with a superb double-bass drum technique and a great sense of rhythm, he just F***IN' does it!! The acoustic set was beautiful, showing again what a fantastic all-round player Steve is. It was great to hear Rescue Me or Bury Me, one of my favourite vocal Vai songs, as well as Call It Sleep, which is one of my fave Vai songs full stop. Lotus Feet, Whispering.... and FTLOG took on whole new meanings that night, the performance of these songs in particular being sublime. The highlight of the show came during Lotus Feet, when Steve saw me singing along and made eye-contact for about 10 secs, smiling at me as if to say, "Yeah, he gets it". Also, right at the end during the harmonic/sustainer outro of FTLOG, he looked up at the audience and said something like "I'm such a wanker", showing again what a self-deprecating, funny guy he is. Simply put, this show has inspired me more than any other event, musical or otherwise, to play guitar and create new music. Special mention must also go to Tony, whos keyboard solo was stunnung, and the Breed in general for being the tightest band around, as evidenced by their phenomenal backing, particularly in Freak Show Excess and Lotus Feet. Next time round, I'm getting the EVO ticket, even if I have to sell a kidney to do it!! I'll post scans of the pics I took as soon as they're developed (I do it the old-fashioned way!), but for now I'll just say that that night was incredible, and I think a large amount of that night's performance will end up on the DVD.

Dave
Cleggy

Bob your pics are great, no. Steve Vai 30 is hillarious and i reckon no doubt will be posted in the funny photos thread, (but not by me.)