REVIEWS: 29 APRIL 2005: SAN DIEGO, CA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Hi Folks,

Did you attend this show in San Diego, CA?

We'd love to read your reviews!

Mikey
vai.com
delta555
Newcomer

Best Vai show that I have seen (7 or 8 shows including G3). Old stuff, new stuff, even quite a bit of acoustic which I really enjoy. Even Billy took a short guitar solo!.
Sound (low-end, and bass) was a bit mushy right up front, but drastically improved as I went farther away. With a 2 & 1/2 hour plus show I could stand to move back a little.
Dave and Tony... amazing how they can note-for-note with Steve, although I would have traded Tony's keyboard solo for a Tony guitar solo anyday.
As much as Steve kicks during G3, there is nothing like him during an all-Steve set! Alas, he is off to Japan after tonight otherwise I would suggest all Vai fanatics do anything they can to attend.
the_zabler
Newcomer

First of all I want to say a big thank you to Mikey for doing such an incredible job all night taking care of all of the EVO participants. You helped to make it a wonderful experience for all of us.

As far as Vai's performance, I'm at a loss for words. Everything has already been said in the previous concert reviews. It was an amazing night and easily my favorite Vai performance of all times. My absolute hilights were Whispering a Prayer (sans the jerk that shouted at Vai to 'Play some rock 'n roll' during the performance), Lotus Feet, Liberty and The Reaper.

Thank you Steve.

:D
Dewey Fischer
Newcomer

What a tremendous night of music! I've been a fan of Steve's for sometime and never had a chance to see him live. Steve and the Breed just tore the place up, 2 1/2 hours of some of the most intense music I have ever seen performed. The sound mix was great at least in the side balcony (the best kept secret at 4th & B) I have to give props to Eric Sardinas, the man plays a mean Dobro, his style and band are reminiscent of Johnny Winter And (and that is not a bad thing)and warmed the crowd nicely.
fineweather

Hey! I'm just back from the US to Japan! :)

The show was amazing! :D It's 5 years since I went to his solo-show (in Japan), I enjoyed all the time. Especially the Acoustic set, Whispering a prayer and Lotus Feet, I was so moved that I couldn't say any word...! Of course the EVO, the last one for the US tour, was worth while going to the US, too! Steve was so cool and friendly to us. All fans who joined the EVO were nice people, thank you all, too! And, Mikey, I appriciate your kindness to make us comfortable. :D

Thank you Steve for your amazing show!
I'll never forget the EVO and the show for San Diego.

(It's just my regret for my poor ability to express my thoughts in English :oops: , but I'd like to make it better at the next chance...!)
sheenriver

fineweather your english sounds fine to me! 8)

it's just amazing that you traveled all the way from japan to usa to see steve and the breeds playing!!! :shock:

the power of music!!!

I'm gonna do the same this summer and I'm sure it'll be worth the trip!
cmeighlow
Newcomer

I enjoyed hearing the stuff from the new album the most. I also thought the different montages featuring audio clips of Steve's voice etc. were also very cool. Great show!
dtishenkel
Newcomer

I have seen steve before, but this show was the absolute highlight. I purchased the EVO ticket so I could get a number of things like getting my guitar signed, taking to steve for an hour, recieving the swag, witnessing soundcheck and last but not least getting in ahead of the mega line so I could be front row for the whole show.

First of all the EVO thing was great!! I was able to ask about 5 questions and really converse with steve. he was was really attentive, honest, and sincere with his answers. Kinda amazing considering this was EVO #45. He just seems like a regular guy, except for his fingers which look about twice as long as mine. lol .. The meet and greet lasted for about an hour and then we all watched steve and the breed perform soundcheck.

Soundcheck was supercool. Instead of running through a song, Steve announced that he wanted to work on a new piece of music and get it ready for G3 in 2 days. This new song was to showcase evey member of the band in a solo spot. The majic of the soundcheck was watching steve construct the song on the fly. Sometime he wuld just close his eyes and be tapping his foot trying to figure out a section of a riff and he would occasionally let out a sigh or laugh. As he worked and I mean worked the band into learning section A, B and then C until it grooved he was constantly reminded by Tony that he was messing it up. See - Tony wrote all the music down on the first pass and was now correcting steve. hahah
They continued at this until everyone was comfortable wih section A, B, then C. Thn steve says " OK .. its starts with section C, then section A twice and ...." and everyone dropped into the grove and started to nail it. I cant wait to see if this song comes out.

Onto the show.
Sardinas is what he is .. A bluesman of reckless abandoned. It was entertaining and a good start for Vai.

Steve and the band came out and crushed the place. the whole band was on. The setlist was the same as mentioned earlier. highlights for me were FTLOG, Lotus feet, Whisper and audience and ..... heck everything was awesome. When he comes out with that headgear and lasers on and is swinging the guitar around and producing all that contolled feedback and harmonics and stuff it was a sight to see. He would have been burned at the stake had he been born 100 years earlier.

Bottom line. unbelieveable awesome show. Thanks to Steve and the Breed.[/img]
JorgeSolana1
Newcomer

What a Great Show, I still cant believe i saw steve vai, it was one of my dreams, i did a very huge effort to attent this show with my girlfriend,because i live in mexico, and it was worth it, my girlfriend catched a steve vai's pick and gave it to me, its so awesome, the only thing i regret is that i forgot my camera, and i saw a lot of people taking pictures, so im asking if anyone its kind enough to upload some pics, im eager to have pictures of that show, it was very special for me, thank you.

P.S(sorry for my bad enlish, and hi to all, im new in this message board)
the_zabler
Newcomer

There are some pictures on another board:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11539
fineweather

San Diego & L.A. review in Japanese (with some pics)

If you'd like to read it, you need a Japanese/Chinese characters (language) software installed in your PC.
zirtoman
Newcomer

The venue was perfect, the show amazing, the sound incredible. Steve of course kicked major ass, and seemed surprized and the end of the show when people kept chanting for another song. "Was it that good?" he asked... yes it was. Thanks again Steve.