REVIEWS: 21 APRIL 2005: BOISE, ID

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator7VWH

Have you seen this show?

We'd love to read your reviews here!

8)

Moderator7VWH
Robert L
Newcomer

People this show was wonderful. Period.

I was damn near crying for “Whispering a Prayer”. It happens in the Jeep all the time, but hearing it live was almost too much.

I remember Tony MacAlpine when Guitar for the Practicing Musician was all over him. Look at the company he keeps now… Awesome.

Billy was a 4 string treasure, Jeremy was laying it down solid, and Dave was (IMO) doing just fine.

You can bitch and moan all you want but these people were having the time of their life (too much fun to be legal I’m thinking) and it showed.

If I had words for this I would have never picked up a guitar in the first place. Well, since my grandfather and my father played maybe I would have anyway, but I don’t think I’d have been able to relate to these guys as well as I do. Sadly I don't have the time or the discipline to reach the level these cats are at. But you know, I like me and what I can do on my axe so I can live with that.

I want to thank everyone I was able to get a signature from for the “Get Well” card for Steve. I think he got it, but I don’t know for sure. I write and test software and firmware for a living and have to work in the morning or I would have stuck around and given it to him personally. As it is I tossed it on the stage and made sure one of the road crew was aware of it.

However it turned out I thank everyone who signed the card, and apologize to everyone I missed. Eric Sardinas came on and I was starting to get hammered so…

I hear Steve is feeling better. I don’t know for sure, but just as he does I have things to do as well so I couldn’t hang around to find out. But the man was on. Everyone was.

The only rough spot of the night was a 13-14 year old I ran into after the show who plays guitar. He wanted to see Steve but security and so forth killed that idea. I told him and his mom(?) I’ve been following the tour online and that if thay waited by the bus they might see Steve. I also explained that Steve had been a little under the weather with the bus crud and that might be why things were so screwed up after the show.

Everything I have heard tells me this guy is a wonderful human being and I think that's pretty accurate. But there were some fans that weren’t too happy a camper due to the distance they felt from the guy they came to see.

As for me… I got what I came for and I just want the dude to make it home to the three people who really need him.

I may have really needed tonight and Steve and the band filled a hole that was getting rather large. Now I can make it through the daily crap for a bit longer. But it is Pia and the kids that are the three people that really count in my opinion and I hope dude gets home soon.

Be well everyone. If you can go see the show do it. It may not be everything you want but what is?
Rudee

If I had words for this I would have never picked up a guitar in the first place. Well, since my grandfather and my father played maybe I would have anyway, but I don’t think I’d have been able to relate to these guys as well as I do. Sadly I don't have the time or the discipline to reach the level these cats are at. But you know, I like me and what I can do on my axe so I can live with that.
Never give up playing because you think you don't compare to the greats. Remember, when Steve started playing he didn't even know bugger all. In fact, Satriani had to show him how to string a guitar. He didn't give up because he didn't play like the greats of his era, he was determined to become one of those greats through practice and discipline, and he has accomplished just that. You can too! Don't be discouraged bro.
Stomping Spuds
Newcomer

:D Anyone who attended the show last night should have had a great time. I was one of the fortunate ones who had the EVO experience and with this I was afforded a little more insight as to who Steve Vai is in person. I will always remember this experience.
Eric Sardinas was intense and set the pace for the evening they flat out rocked. I have been to the Big Easy in Boise numerous times and I have learned that each time the sound system there presents one hurdle over another to the acts that show up to entertain. I don’t know if it is relevant to the size of the venue, the crowds’ effect on acoustics, the duality of the purpose of the sound system (it doubles as a dance/club), or inability to operate the gear. Various gremlins danced across the soundboard throughout the evening starting from the second song Eric Sardinas played until the very end of the show. The Big easy is an awesome venue with a plagued sound system. Someone from there should take a trip to the Whisky a go go or something and take some notes.
Enough on the slam on to the show, I loved seeing every minute of The Breed show. Steve didn’t disappoint (even in spite of various ailments he was battling), Billy Sheehan was stellar, Tony MacAlpine was beyond the edge of insanity, Jeremy Colson was an enormous surprise what a killer drummer, and Dave Weiner now I have read some posting slamming this dude and all I can say is if you have a problem with his abilities I call it stage envy. Dave rocked as well and did an amazing job. As for content the overall show given was consistent with prior postings in that what would you expect we were entertained last night by some of the greatest talents to grace the industry and all in little ol’ Boise Idaho.
Oh and let us not forget my new EVO friends from Montana, I sure hope you all can make the trip down again sometime perhaps the next time Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson or well maybe I should quit rubbing it in eh? Come back again someday!
Robert L
Newcomer

Rudee wrote:Never give up playing because you think you don't compare to the greats.
I seem to have always had a guitar around over the years so I'll always be playing. I just don't have the hunger for it these guys have.

But I feel a spiritual connection with where they are coming from. I think a lot of people in Boise (along with all the travellers who made the journey to be there last night) needed what those guys have worked so hard to be able to give us.

I've always liked smaller venues. Generally there is a more intimate feel to the event. Last night was no exception. As many people have said about previous shows there were times when you could swear one or the other of the band was looking at and playing for you and only you. That is cool.

As Spuds noted there were some issues with the sound. Nothing that really detracted from the show but that element of things could have been better. I've only been in the Big Easy once before to see Dream Theater. I'd seen them before in Minneapolis and while the Boise show was great, the thing I wasn't real jazzed with was the stage. To me it was just too low and if you ended up in the back all you saw was the top of the bands heads. It didn't seem as bad last night so maybe they've changed things.

Steve, Billy, Tony, Dave, Jeremy, Eric, and crew. These are some really wonderful people, not just wonderful musicians. Again if you can go, do so. With all the crap going on in the world right now being able to walk into the atmosphere these people create with their music and where their heads are at is amazing. For a few hours you'll see and feel how it could be if we could all just get our cultural and social acts together.

Be well people.
rainman
Newcomer

I was fortunate to attend the EVO experience with three students and a buddy, and was very pleased with it. Steve took the time to answer questions in depth and he made sure everyone got their turn.

Eric Sardinas put on a hell of a show and got the crowd ready with his beer-bottle-sliding-budweiser-spewing-crowd-working delta blues.

Steve and his crew were true to form showing complete mastery of their instruments. The sound was loud, but clear, especially the vocals, thanks to the thorough sound check before the show (EVO people know what I'm talking about :roll: ).

Any Boise EVO people who would like copies of the photos can email me at MarkCSinclair@excite.com
JEMDOGGIE
Newcomer

Wow! For those of us who were there and appreciated what Steve brought to little Boise.... We can't thank him and the Big Easy enough. Thanks-thanks-thanks!

My friends and I have been following Steve's career for many-many Years, and to be up so close on the railing to visually see his unbelievable showmanship and desire to bring the best show possible (here in little Boise!), was truely awesome. It was Guitar Heaven....

We get our Guitar-mojo from Satch, Vai and Petrucci who just "have-it", they play for the Fans, for the pure musical sense and we all love them for it. Again thanks-thanks-thanks!
fp77&ep7owner

What a truly amazing experience. I would do it again and again. This was my first Vai show and I was blown away. The EVO and aftershow will be unforgettable moments in my life. I was very impressed with the way Steve treats his fans. I didn't get to hold EVO very long because Steve was answering my question and I had plenty of other questions that I would have liked to ask.

The Big Easy was a great venue and because of EVO tickets we had great seats. By the end of the show I really wanted to be up front, but I didn't want to be rude and push my way through. The acoustic set was awesome and I got a kick out of seeing Steve play the Euphoria. I took my earplugs out after the first set and enjoyed the sound except for the feedback in Steve's vocal mic that never got resolved despite a very long and tedious sound check.

Eric was also very entertaining and even though I thought I knew what to expect I was still surprised about how great and entertaining it was.

I would love any pics that people may have taken! Please send me some!

terryrwright@cableone.net
booandminx
Newcomer

My husband and I both attended this show. We had the EVO tickets and we decided that we both needed to write reviews as we are very different people and saw the show from very different backgrounds. We were there for my husband – this was his birthday present from me. I was just along for the ride & what a ride it was! We drove from Montana for this concert and I would do it again in a heart beat!

So here is mine:

I am a very non-musical person – I can’t read music, I don’t play an instrument and anything technical musically is beyond me! But I love to listen and I have grown to appreciate great music – that comes from being married to a musician and music buff.

The Big Easy Venue was very cool – it was our first time there and I don’t think there really was a bad seat in the house.

I would recommend the EVO tickets to anyone; it is well worth the extra money! Getting to meet Steve and talk to him was very memorable. He was very nice, down to earth and seemed humble at the praises of our small group. The best part for me was getting to watch my husband when Steve came and sat down just a couple feet from him – he was in shock – this was something he always wanted was to meet Steve. I am glad we could share this memory together!

I think this has to be the best performance I have ever seen! Yeah they had some minor technical problems with the mic’s on the vocals but that didn’t take away from the talent that was playing on the stage. Steve was awesome – he truly is a guitar GOD. His fingers flying across the strings makes it look like art! We had a great view of the stage and the entire Breed was giving it their all that night. The Breed – Billy, Tony, Jeremy & Dave – what a great bunch of guys and what a show! My husband was crazy and amazed! What an awesome night – one we will never, never forget!

Thank you to all the great people we met – first and fore most, Steve – I don’t impress easily but he has a fan for life in me and of course in ALL our children!!

And also Hi! To our new friends from Idaho – Spuds & his wife – it was nice to meet you both! I am sure you will be seeing us in Boise again!

Also BIG thanks to Mikey for all the trouble he goes through!

Look for my husbands review too!

- Minxy :peace
Stomping Spuds
Newcomer

It would seem Zakk Wylde wasn't quite so forgiving regarding the sound check. He trashed the Big Easy in Boise with a Base Ball bat. His name is mud there now I'm sure. :shock: