REVIEWS: 30 MARCH 2005: SAYREVILLE, NJ

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator777

Did you go to this show at the Starland Ballroom? Please post your reviews and comments here. :headbang

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
ttillr
Newcomer

AWESOME SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i LOVED it. i was totally blown away... i could sit there and watch all the guys jam forever... the show was truly outstanding. :D i cant wait to go to another show. if you have the chance... make sure u see them. some of my favortie moments are: the solos (especially the drums), the jam sessions between all of the guys, and the performance of "For The Love of God." <3<3 i loved it when steve played the guitar with his tongue. that was AWESOME!!!! :D
RuneGuitar
Newcomer

tonight was the best nite of my life. i went to see vai tonight.

met my old friend from which i haven't seen in like 2 years. and she has a b/f who can hook us up with recording for free.

anywho. i got in the front of the whole thing. i was against the gate close as ive ever been to anyone. and that fucking kicked ass. then i met one of Dave Weiner's friends. me and him got into a conversation. real cool guy. He got me a guitar pic from billy sheehan and tony macalpine. which i thought was sweet as shit. but that wasn't the best part. later after the show i decided to sit outside and wait for the band. i met the drummer(Jeremy Colson) who rocks all amounts of ass. then after that i froze my ass for about 30 minutes. then i looked over and saw the opening act eric sardinas(one of the nastiest slide guitar players you'll hear) chilling and talking to people. so i ran over and started hanging with him. my friend who was coming to get me to leave then noticed eric and changed his mind quickly.
so we stood out there and talked with him. he signed a ticket we purchased via ticketfast. basically a sheet of paper. he was cool as hell. then dave's friend popped out of the venue and i yelled to him what's up. he took me and my friend inside to meet dave and steve VAI. i walked in didn't even notice vai at first. walked up to dave and started talking with him. my friend got his cd of daves material signed by dave. UBERNESS I SAY.

THEN I TURNED AROUND AND WHO DO I SEE WITHIN 2 FEET OF ME! Stevie Vai. my heart started racing while he was talking to his fans (man he treats his fans great also). i was looking for something for him to sign and noticed i have a tour hat i just purchased and take it off. next thing i know steve turns to me and shakes my hand and says "sup man whats your name' i must have busted 5 nuts right then in there. so i talked a bit with steve. and he asked if i was in a band. i was like a lil school girl and all. i couldn't believe vai is there right in front of me. ALL I COULD SAY WAS. 'this guy is in my band'
and pointed to my friend/bassist. then he asked me my age and we both said 20 and he said those are the best years of your life keep at it with the music. and i almost passed out. I JUST MET STEVE VAI. my guitar hero. omg dood. there is nothing that can take the smile off my face right now. nothing
seafoamgreen
Newcomer

Hi everyone, I am going to see the show in a couple of days. I had a question about merchandise for sale at the show. I'd appreciate it if someone could pm me about what items Billy Sheehan is selling? I heard he has his new cd available. I was wondering if they are selling anything else of his....instructional dvd's....hats.....anything......?

I know its a Vai show, and I love Vai, but I am a bassplayer

thanks
Dave
Ramma

What am amazing Concert.. and having the Evo Premium Package made it all even better just to boot. I mean wow... Vai is such an amazing, heart felt, and caring person. He loves what he does and he loves the people he does it for. Not sure if we are supposed to talk about what goes on otherwise in the Premium Package so I'll keep it brief...

Showed up, in of course a Vai T-Shirt (Alien Love Secretes to be Exact), talked to us for a while (Among other things), and I mean for a good 45 minutes, he really talked to us and heard what we had to say and said alot of funny, true, and knowledable words). He signed a piece of art work my brother drew for me to get signed, as well as my G3 DVD, and took countless pictures and it was just amazing. He also signed a Music Book for my dad.

Eric S. was pretty good. I bought his CD when it first came out and thought it was great, appreciate it a little more seeing him in concert.

Vai just did perfect even when things went wrong. He gave the best show I've ever seen twice now. The first time at G3 2003 (Nov. 11th) and now this time... I was up against the speakers in the dead center just watching Vai release his emotions...
He Played:
Glorious
Building The Church
Lotus Feet
For The Love Of God
Whispering A Prayer
The Crying Machine
Reaper
Sisters
Call It Sleep
Boy/Girl Song
I'm The Hell Outta Here
Love Blood
Midway Creatures
and alot more.

Just a small message to Vai which he prob. won't get: Thank you for the evo package, the concert, and the amazing time you gave me. It was astonishing. I felt whatever you were feeling during "For The Love Of God" and I think you knew I felt it because you give me quite a few looks over and over.. And I just want to say at the end of the night when you shook my hand and pulled me towards you a little and said "Thank You" while pointing directly at me... It just blew me away... Thank you so much for everything. That day was a day I won't forget...ever...

-Brian DeSantis
medic2022

What a great show! I won the meet and great passes after the show and all I can say is Steve is a real gentleman. In came out to the back bar 45 minutes after the show and hung out with about 50 or so people. We took pictures and he signed tons of stuff for everyone. Also met Dave Weiner, a real down to earth guy. Steve and Dave said they were having trouble with the monitior mix. If you noticed Steve, Tony, and Dave all asking the monitor guy to turn it up. Most of the time Tony couldn't hear his own guitar. Well, that's just shows you how professional they are.

Here is the complete set list, just not in order:
Glorious
The Audience Is Listening
Building The Church
Whispering a Prayer
The Crying Machine
Answers
My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama
Liberty
Sisters
K’m-Pee-Du-Wee
Lotus Feet
For The Love Of God
I’m the hell out of here
Midway creachers
The Boy Girl Song
Dave’s Solo
Tony’s Solo
Billy’s Solo
Love Blood
The Reaper
Rescue Me Or Bury me

I hope you all had a great time.

Tommy
PostalZombie
Newcomer

Went to the Starland Ballroom show and Steve and the Breed were Great as usual. :headbang There were some monitor problems in the beginning,
in fact my wife and I were right in front of Billy and we saw two roadies discover some moniters weren't plugged in. Met Steve after the show in the VIP area (I won the after Show passes from this site) Thanx.
Steve was really cool he signed my Ibanez and other items my wife and I brought. My wife also gave Steve some gifts she had gotten for him. He was very appreciative (always the gentleman). He also posed for some pictures. This was a night to remember forever.
Eric Sardinas played a hot set also.
Thanks Steve and everybody at vai.com Bees
Mike :guitar
fiberoptix
Newcomer

I was also at the show last night, with the EVO premium package. This package was incredible, we got to meet Steve, who is such an awesome guy...so chill and he just seems like he has so much to say about everything. Very great individual, I respect everything he does. We got to check out the soundcheck which was cool, and even though the show started an hour late, it was amazing! Sardinas was a very good opening act, and gave us a lot of energy. I was standing right in the front, (I'm 6'4" and felt horrible for people standing behind me) and it was truly a breathtaking experience. When Steve Vai came out and played I was astonished...all of the songs and jams were exceptionally good, I loved the jam at the end of the acoustic set with Dave on electric sitar, and I also loved the band's performance of 'Bad Horsie', 'Building the Church', 'Glorious', and the likes of the softer melodies of 'Lotus Feet' and 'Whispering a Prayer'. Overall an awesome show, and Steve seemed to be impressed with the energy of the small venue and extended the encore with his natural showmanship at the end.
makomus
Newcomer

What an awesome night guys. I also seen Steve and he signed my shirt :):)
Please post your pictures you took with Steve, I'd love to see them as a reminder + I might be in the background :)
Ramma

fiberoptix wrote:I also loved the band's performance of 'Bad Horsie', 'Building the Church', 'Glorious', and the likes of the softer melodies of 'Lotus Feet' and 'Whispering a Prayer'.
They did not play Bad Horsie last night ;)
plchaos
Newcomer

this message is for seafoamgreem,

the only Billy Sheehan merchandise I saw was his new cd-just make sure you get there early enough so you can purchase a signed one. I got the last signed one on Tues. night in Long Island-they went fast. If you dont care about the signature, you can still buy it unsigned. There is also a t-shirt with cartoon looking caricatures of Steve and Billy that says"Power Twins" on it. No other Sheehan stuff from what i remember.
Witty
Newcomer

Hi,

Does anyone know what that song was toward the end of the night, where Steve and Billy sang together (for the chorus anyway)... and the lyrics were something along the lines of "you could be a poor boy, she could be a rich little girl"? What is that song and which album is it on? Thanks!

-Witty
GreenMeanie

That is Love Blood. One of my fave songs.

Joanne
MSalle
Newcomer

Amazing show, what a fantastic group of extremely talented musicains. I had the Evo Experience package and it was great to hang with Steve for all that time. Thank you Steve you are a very gracious host!! I also think that you have a fantastic voice and should keep singing. Your lyrics and voice/melodies are some of my favorites. Anyways I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. What is the song Steve played before Lotus Feet? It is just him and Jeremy and Billy I think. I thought the set list said it was "I'm Becoming" or something like that. Is it new? Does anyone know where it's from? Anyway thank you Steve and The Breed for a truly unforgettable night!
Mike :D
harryballs3
Newcomer

OMG !! What a show!! I am a new discoverer of the Steve Vai Experience!! I was totally blown away. I have the CD Alive in an Ultra World and have never seen Steve live before. To tell the truth, I am an old guy(49) and really I went to see Eric Sardinas as I am into the Texas style of the blues. You see Steve in all the guitar mags and I really respected him as a musician and teacher and thought he really must be a nice guy to give back all the things he does to further the development of the guitar as a true piece of human culture as I see it. I left the show this night with a new favorite guitarist!! He is totally amazing!! Its like he just cant get enough of playing guitar!! The showmanship and quality of the music was beyond my expectations! The interaction between Steve and Billy and Tony and Dave and Jeremy was in my opinion the tighest I have ever seen in a band.The venue was small, which I love as you could see all the expressions on everyones face, and it really felt like he was playing to every single person in the audience. When he came out in the hat with lights and on his fingers, I thought this is a guy that came to put on a show!!! I could have listened for hours, but, unfortunatly, the friend I came with was pretty wasted and we had to leave around 11:45. I am a diehard live music fan and try to stay for the whole show whenever I can, regardless of the parking problems at shows. I can say now, this ranks up there as one of my top three shows of all time. By the way, I know I am sounding a little awestruck about this, and I really didnt review the show from a Vai fans point of view, but I just had to write and tell of my view as a newcomer to the Vai experience!! Thanks Steve and all the best to you, and thanks for doing what you do for all your fans, and especially your new ones :headbang !!!