REVIEWS: 28 MARCH 2005: PHILADELPHIA, PA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Gregocide

"I bet eric sardinas can play slide guitar with his PENIS!"
Moderator777

Gregocide wrote:"I bet eric sardinas can play slide guitar with his PENIS!"
Hmmm... that would be an interesting aftershow discussion.

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
SRVoodoo

Hey, speaking of aftershow stuff....
I was talking to Dave who told me that someone had stolen
his brand new bag of picks.
I'm kind of bummed 'cause I like to collect picks from
the good guys. Is there any way to get one?
Also, Billy (although he mostly uses fingers)
and Tony cause I guess they didn't have any either.
WOODIGGITT2
Newcomer

Where to start . This was the second Vai show I have seen in 5 days . I do believe the first(Baltimore) was a longer show and the sound was slightly better . The sound Guys had trouble at the Troc because it sure is not the most acoustically advanced of areas . It was an awesome show - there is never a perfect show - Love where the guys placed the "return solo" of Erotic Nightmares - I am sure all you "critics" noticed that right (yeh) I like honesty but remember this is Steve Vai we are talking about - He is THE MAN . I was the guy who he pointed to and said " and thank you for knowing it " which he said right after he playedPusa Road from "The Fire Garden Suite". That meant more to me than anything - because I do know it - I play the drums with the rythmic parts at my house a lot so I was right there with him . If you feel Steve Vai as much as I do I am sure you appreciate all the tweeks . Vai's tone is absolutely incredible , and he is such a tweek master . Whoever said there was no rythym to the songs is just a fool , that is totally cool with me because it just makes me happier that I know . Steve has helped me learn things about life and music he himself might not realize he is teaching . Oh- if cursing makes someone seem like an @$$ than you have put to much power in to man-made words .
Also , I met Steve , he recognized that I was the guy who was jammin real with him on "Fire Garden" and that felt even better . He was extremely nice and It made me think to myself-"what else must I do"well fortunately the next thing was meet Billy and I did-AWESOME-I want to Jam with those guys soooooooo bad!-I thought all the guys in the crew were cool as hell - they work real hard and still managed to treat me with respect . Also I gave Thomas a Video in hopes he would deliver it to Vai - We'll see - it is
my dream to sometime in my life play the "Fire Garden Suite" drums and percussion with Vai live- SHIT IT IS MY DREAM TO PLAY EVERY VAI SONG EVER WITH HIM LIVE staight from beggining to end . Awesome , I still need more though - I didn't meet Tony! All the Guys of Sardinas 's band were cool as hell to - and good snap sardinas! Thanks again for the great show and all the inspiration- Ohh , and all you whiners go find some tissues and wear ear plugs next time . VAI RULES
WOODIGGITT2
Newcomer

Ohh and I am only a newcomer because My old names password got screwed up and when I got the new one I could not get it to work
GreasyPhillyKid5150
Newcomer

SRVoodoo wrote:
Blade Runner wrote:
GreasyPhillyKid5150 wrote:
Perfectly said about the mistakes!

Were you wearing a black jacket because I think I saw you standing 2 rows infront of me. 8)

I'm a Latino and I was standing next to some asians so I think it's cool that Vai attracts fans from all different races. 8)
That's one of the beautiful things about Steve's music.
There are no boundries with race, religion, sex or anything!
No I didn't have on a black jacket, but my best friend who was right next to me did.

And I also love that Vai's music attracts so many fans from different parts of the spectrum. It was cool to see how diverse his audience was.
Gregocide

GreasyPhillyKid5150 wrote:
SRVoodoo wrote:
Blade Runner wrote: Perfectly said about the mistakes!

Were you wearing a black jacket because I think I saw you standing 2 rows infront of me. 8)

I'm a Latino and I was standing next to some asians so I think it's cool that Vai attracts fans from all different races. 8)
That's one of the beautiful things about Steve's music.
There are no boundries with race, religion, sex or anything!
No I didn't have on a black jacket, but my best friend who was right next to me did.

And I also love that Vai's music attracts so many fans from different parts of the spectrum. It was cool to see how diverse his audience was.
Us philly forumers should organize a group jam sometime.
mejguitar
Newcomer

The show at the Troc in Philly was real good. I think Mr. Vai and the entire band kicked 100%. The vocals for the opening act and Steve Vai were horrible tho (from the sound production, not the performance itself). It was a long show for sure. I think the thing I enjoyed most about the show was the true humbleness and appreciation from Mr. Vai for thanking everyone for coming out. Been a fan since 1983. Look forward to catching Mr. Vai again in the future.
Vaibanez5150

SIMPLY THE BEST SHOW we HAVE EVER SEEN YET!
The only thing that could possibly top it would be to see him again! If we were rich, we would go to all the shows!

Once again Vai overcomes his Flu and stomps us all! Just like we like it.
Steve, Mikey, Nick, Dave, Eric Sardinas and his band, the Crew, etc. etc. aw he11, you guys all know who you are! lol :D :wink:

You are ALL top notch people! Steve is the most caring human WE have ever met.
I won't go in2 it, but just know, he is 1 fantastic, cool, REAL, down to earth, AMAZING person! TY so much! 8) :D

That deserves only massive appreciation and respect for what he does night after night, year, after year, after year under such crappy conditions!
He works himself to the bone for his fans. And that's an understatement! It takes so much more behind the scenes then what you see out front.

Have you seen there schedule? OMG!! :shock: They need to rest more! wow!

I wrote a huge [several page] nasty yet clean, letter about all the damn moronic, inconciderate, 1 post wonder,
cry babies who either have some major personal issues. OR,.... Got locked outside and missed the whole show! :roll:
Either way they missed the whole point of the greatness that is Vai when it was right there in front of them. Vai is THE pinnacle of what a pro musician is.
If you don't get that, then Go see some pop princess [lip synching] live for crying out loud. Maybe that's more your speed!? :roll:

I didn't post this nasty letter out of respect for Steve & Mikey and the good of the forum. YET!
But if i get the [LOCHNESS] green light to post it. !!!!!!! Don't get me started! :x #$%^&*!&^%#@!&^%$#@!!!

Anyway,....... Despite the crappy venue's electrical hum interference problems, sound issues, crazy time constraints,
Steve's Voice going hoarse, and you name it, it went wrong b4 the show. But from under all that, they dealt with it like the seasoned pro's they are!

And we still had a BLAST! He sang great for a guy who was hoarse all day. That Vai VOODOO fixed him up! 8) Vai and the boys could play @ the crappiest dive on earth,
[and sort of did that night lol] all have the flu, and still, destroy the audience with positive greatness! VAI RULES, AND RULES ALL BABY! 8)

See VAI LIVE in 2005 or,... your a HUGE Putz!!! lol :lol:
------ If you WANT TO experiance the most POSITIVE, entertaining, Jaw dropping performance on earth ever? Even on a so called "bad night"?
Vai's "bad nights" are far greater then just about anyones best night!
VAI LIVE 2005! They always deliver greatness! Even under war like conditions!

If you have only seen him @ G3, he is respectfully reserved [in my opinion ] so as not to show up his massivly talented co tour mates. Which is no easy task! :shock:
Joe is fantastic, of course! No denying that! *BOWS* But when Steve is on his own tour, WOW! :shock: He lets it all out man! No holding back! He destroys you!
In a good POSITIVE way! He will take your emotions on a fantastic roller coaster ride, and you will be exhausted afterward if you are in tune with it all.

He had the PHILI crowd shaking the whole venue like an earth quake! chanting VAI VAI VAI VAI VAI! for an encore! I was waiting for the ceiling to cave! lol
They were all stomping as they yelled Vai! It was great to witness that kind of pure POS connection. And of course, we joined in right away.

Steve came back out and said, I'm suppossed to kick your aZZes,... But your kickin mine!!! It was great! :D

No hype man, it's all real, always has been with him. He is a true master! Even on his worst nights. [He is human you know]. Yet you wouldn't know he was
sick as good as he performs. Although, I still think further testing is needed to see if he has 12 brains in that head or not. Aliens are sneaky ya know. lol :lol:
Oh and the ACOUSTIC SET was great! How often do you get to see Steve tear up an acoustic like it's nothing? I love seeing him, E.V.H., Zakk Wylde, and others,
rip that acoustic apart like it's an electric! The power in those fingers! :D

54 PHILI PIX AVAILABLE TO SEE HERE ---> http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=131320#131320 on Vai.com

P.S. We met some really cool people in the EVO crowd. Especially 2 in particular [you know who you are!] :wink:

AND DON'T MISS THE OPENING ACT ERIC SARDINAS He ALSO KICKED MAJOR AZZ! What a great opening act! We only saw him live on dvd until now.
And it does NOT do him justice. If you show up late and miss him, you are only missing out on some pure, gutsy, stripped down, raw, top notch, great guitar work.

He gets the crowd revved up and rdy 4 Vai. Which is what a great opener does. Not that you need help with that, when your wating for Vai.
But Sardinas was a great bonus which we really enjoyed! He should head line on his own sometime.
I got this joyful CROSSROADS flashback when ERIC 1st came out and started wailin on that slide.

He had the whole house sh*t kicker stompin an earthquake & clappin, and hootin & hollerin like we were down south! lol
From note 1 when he jumped on stage, he nailed it!
1 Truely talented [and rare these days] dude! I will be snagging his cd for sure. Eric you got 3 new fans for life here bro!
8) 8) 8) Take care! Was also a pleasure meeting you!

:headbang VAI LIVE 2005!!!!! :headbang
Last edited by Vaibanez5150 on Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Woollybugger
Newcomer

Overall an excellent show. I agree with the poor mic quality and the fact that a bigger venue would have been better, but the show rocked. I loved the acoustic idea...I just wish that the rest of the people upstairs felt the same way. There were too many side conversations going on. Why come to a show to talk to your freinds? You could here the music fine, but the vocals were drowned out by drunken conversation.

Whispering A Prayer was my favorite part of the night.
Loved the "Guitar wants to kill your mama"!
See you at the next G3.
guillo28
Newcomer

For all the Evo people I was the big guy with the young girl and the strat.
This was my daughter's first concert ever, so thanks for all the fans at the EVO group for being so nice, she felt at ease for such an overwhelming experience.

A couple of thoughts on the show.

Eric Sardinas was amazing, and we are looking forward to see him live again in the future.

Most people from the Evo group probably noticed that Steve was having problems with the trocadero as early as starting the soundcheck. He was having signal degradation, signal hum (fluorescent lights anyone?), feedback issues, poor sound quality, faulty equipment (alesis sucks!), recording issues and even the venue security forced him to stop soundcheck to sign the cd booklets because they were kicking us out.
To be able to put this behind him ( and the fact that he had the flu) and put out an two hour show speaks volumes about the man.

Which, to put it bluntly, means that he is as human as any of us.

Sound problems?, Absolutely. Performance not at the top of his game? After what I described before is a miracle he just didn't call off the show (Pay attention Axl Rose). By the "Crying Machine" my daughter was exhausted and asked me if we could leave. I told her to wait for one thing. I knew that all the negatives of the night would dissappear and that Steve would not let me down. As expected, a miracle happened.

Whispering a Prayer.

As flawless and inspired and amazing performance as it can be humanly done (and then some).

My daughter and I left then with a huge smile on our faces. And to top it off, Eric Sardinas signed her brand new CD and had a picture taken with her.

Evo tickets- 150.00$ per person
Parking in Philly - 15.00$
Your daughter's first live concert experience by the most talented and nicest human being you can ever meet ( plus watching an amazing opening act)- Priceless.
mikesmith32
Newcomer

Thanks for the pics Vaibanez.
GreenMeanie

My face still hurts from smiling! (and I cannot stop smiling :mrgreen: ) I had the BEST time! My daughter and I were discussing the concert again before school this morning and we decided it was the best night of our life! Even though we both got sick it was still an unbelievable evening! I dont know if anything can or ever will top it! I will never forget 3/28/05 as long as I live! We will definitly do the EVO experience again! Well worth the $$$! And personally I wouldnt have cared if Steve played sour notes all night! I myself wasnt there to critique every note he played I was there to have a great time and that is what I did! Steve thanks again for an unforgettable experience! :mrgreen:

Joanne

PS People keep asking me for pics of the show. My husband posted them his name is Vaibanez5150 :D
Vaibanez5150

Hey MikeSmith32, your very welcome man. Next time I plan to bring a 2nd memory card and to know my camera's in's and out's much better. lol

Plus to snap away a lot more! :D What an awesome night!
1 UNforgettable POSitive night of greatness! To say the least! :shock: :D
dexter30
Newcomer

What a great show! I had never heard of Eric Sardinas until this show but I have to say he blew my mind. After his performance I went and bought his Black Pearls c.d. and I love it.

As for Vai, despite the sound problems his performance was top notch and I am so glad I drove 2 hours to see him. If ever he comes back around to this area again you can be sure I'll be at the show. Also, I'd really like to thank Mr. Vai for playing in such a small and intimate setting. It's so nice when a great musician allows himself to be so close to his fans.

Here is a link to some of the photos I took during this show. I didn't take many because I was more interested in enjoying the show as apposed to taking photos all night. Feel free to take what you want.

http://ourworld.cs.com/Jasonbrigham31/index.htm