REVIEWS: 28 MARCH 2005: PHILADELPHIA, PA

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
Moderator777

Did you attend this show at The Trocadero Theatre? Please post your reviews and comments here. :headbang

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
lsjr
Newcomer

for the love of god! man, that says it all!!!

if anyone has pics from tonight's show can you e mail me please?

lsjr@mac.com

t'anks!
vaiguy247
Newcomer

here's my story i live in aston (20mins from the troc) we drove all the way there and i had forgotten the tickets so we went back to my house and got back just as steve was starting to play. We were packed in like sardines and the acoustics sucked and we had to stand the whole time! I couldn't see past this dudes friggin head. All i heard were the kick drum the snare and steves guitar. Speaking of steve this is my second time seeing himlive and his playing was sub-par. He must have screwed up like 10 times. I liked the acoustic idea but if you start a song then play it. I was disappointed to only hear a snippet of sisters and the singing on the boy/girl song stunk too. Sometimes when steve played he got unwanted feedback especially when he sang a certain song. I really wish he would have done something different besides the acoustic set because if u look at the live in Astoria dvd he does all the same whammy bar tricks and everything. I am used to see him play near perfect so hearing him screw up was a big disappointment to me. He didn't really stray from the song or improvise over his songs which was a disappointment too. Oh and in Building the Church near the end he did do the low chug and little fills before he plays that last riff with the whammy bar. I really wished he would have played firewall and he needs to play some classics like Viv Woman the Atittude song Natural Born Boy and please would he play frank once that song is awesome. I also think he should cut the distortion and play songs like sisters or a boy from seattle. Well thats my honest review.
anonalien
Newcomer

Wow... that's all I can really say.

The entire show was just god damn incredible. First of all, my wonderful girlfriend stood outside with me in the cold rain for about 2.5 hours before the show. We got second row and it was incredible to be that close to the musicians.

Second of all, have you guys heard of this Eric Sardinas guy? I had never really heard of him before a week ago but GOD DAMN, this guy is incredible. He was just so god damn charismatic and jumping all over stage, and then towards the end of his set he went out into crowd and played while walking around the entire venue. He also did this bit where he used a bear bottle as a slide, but everytime the beat would come down heavy the lights would flash and beer would fly up in the air. By the end of that he and his guitar were completely drenched. His tone was also really damn good. Eric took me COMPLETELY by surprise beacuse I had no idea it was going to be that good AT ALL. Apparently his band has an album out called Black Pearls, definitely pick it up if you're into some GOOOOOOOOD heavy blues. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Steve Vai's set was also incredible. I really enjoyed his acoustic set and when he played Whispering a Prayer I almost lost it...It was incredibly moving to say the least. Lotus Feet off of the new record was also incredible and his new arrangement of For The Love Of God blew my mind. It felt like I was so damn close to the guy and that's crazy 'cause I never thought I would see him live. All of his band got a few minutes to solo on their own and each of them are masters at their instruments. There were a few obnoxious people espeically this one dude in front of me who just came off like a complete ass from the beginning, but then his kid got sick so I felt a little bad. Speaking of that little girl, Steve kept mouthing "Whispering a prayer to you" during that song and it was amazing to watch him make a connection like that with a fan. He really seemed like a caring person overall, and it's great to see people like that.

Overall, GREAT GREAT GREAT show... If any of you can go see him live I would highly suggest that. It was such a great time, I have really nothing bad to say... I'm just incredibly happy that I finally got to see him live. Check it out.
shader

Amazing show. Not much more to say.

Dave's parents were there, and Steve told us about Mrs. Weiner's home-made crack pretzels. I got a thumbs up from Dave when steve mentioned his album at the beginning and I held it up. Steve also stared right at me for a good part of the FTLOG solo, and i melted inside like a 14 year old girl at an Nsync concert right then.

I took a bunch of pics but they have to get devleoped
shad
Newcomer

It was a cool show, it's always great to see Mr. Vai and his fantastic band perform live. The acoustic set was a nice touch, Sisters and Call it Sleep were sweet. The only problem was with the sound. The sound guy felt the need to keep cranking up the volume more and more as the show went on. By the end, the volume was so high, everything was distorted and feeding back. People around me were putting their fingers in their ears because of the shrill noise. I did't even notice my ears were bleeding because I was too sucked in to Steve's playing ;)

BTW- Maybe Dave's Mom needs to sell those "crack pretzels" online :)
Blade Runner

The show was just... AWESOME!!! It was a spectacular night. I wish it never ended. To believe I almost forgot about going to this show, now I will never forget this show for the rest of my life. It was the greatest concert I've ever been to. :headbang

Eric Sardinas was pretty cool. I digged the hard rock/blues style style of playing which reminds me of SRV and Hendrix. I especially liked when he took a lap around the theater in the crowd 8) But Vai was what it was all about. His performance was mindblowing. By only his presence I was in awe. I loved the part when he came out with the glowing lights on his guitar, fingers, and the helmet thing :lol: The breed was incredible, especially Billy Sheehan. My only dissapointment was that Vai didnt play all of Fire Garden Suite, but the rest of the show easily made up for it. I did hear some unwanted feed back, but Vai is only human, so I wasnt bothered by it. If I knew every song on the setlist I would tell you my favorites, but from the ones I know, my favorites were Answers, Building the Church, Love Blood, Midway Creatures, For The Love of God, The Audience is Listening, and Lotus Feet. I think Vai even looked at me directly during Lotus Feet. 8)

After the show I bought a copy of Eric Sardinas "Black Pearls" and got it signed :D

If somebody posted the setlist I would really appreciate it. I truly believe Steve Vai is the greatest guitarist of all time.
Last edited by Blade Runner on Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregocide

shader wrote:Amazing show. Not much more to say.

Dave's parents were there, and Steve told us about Mrs. Weiner's home-made crack pretzels. I got a thumbs up from Dave when steve mentioned his album at the beginning and I held it up. Steve also stared right at me for a good part of the FTLOG solo, and i melted inside like a 14 year old girl at an Nsync concert right then.

I took a bunch of pics but they have to get devleoped
Amazing show. Brilliant as always.

There were a few duffs every now and then. I noticed it with his voice.

The performance was amazing. I couldn't have been happier. I met the band afterwards. They all signed all of my stuff. They were all so nice, it seemed like a dream.

I have tons of pictures which i will post wen they're developed.

When steve was talking about needing his stool fixed, i was the moron who yelled "Heh, he said STOOL"
Xseanxer
Newcomer

I took really bad pics....I'm sure someone will post later with good ones. Awesome show!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v370/xseanxer/Vai%20show/
Xseanxer
Newcomer

Gregocide wrote:
shader wrote: When steve was talking about needing his stool fixed, i was the moron who yelled "Heh, he said STOOL"
I heard you!
RuneGuitar
Newcomer

this is my 2nd time seeing vai. and i loved every minute of this show.

Eric kicked major ass also. =)
romanfingers
Newcomer

i think he was the worst steve ever had
robfrombucks
Newcomer

Steve was amazing in Philadelphia; middle set (acoustic) felt like you were watching a garage band jamming, really a great experience.

Haven't seen Steve since the day Zappa died (at the Button South in Hollywood, FL), and he gets better with age.

Got to meet Steve and the band, get autographs and photos after the show. Definitely will be waiting for G3 to see him again!
marktresch
Newcomer

Moderator777 wrote:Did you attend this show at The Trocadero Theatre? Please post your reviews and comments here. :headbang

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
OK ladies & gentlemen, here's the scoop, the whole scoop and nothing but the sccop. For starters, Eric whatever his name is needs to stop trying to impress us with pyrotechnic slide guitar and just play the damn thing. For me, he was more style then substance. The stroll thru the crowd was "cute" but I'd seen Buddy Guy (a real blues genius) do it years ago.

As far as Mr Vai was concerned, this was my third time seeing him (twice w/ G3), and although his talent is remarkable and his skills undeniable, I wish that he would stop all the feedback and tremolo bar tricks and concentrate on playing chords & notes. When he does he can be amazing to watch, but for me, feedback is boring. Don't get me wrong, some of the sounds he produces are pretty neat, but I want to see him play.
Overall is was a very good show, but the Troc is not the most comfortable place in the world, and the upstairs was very loud, especially during the accoustic set.
black_napkins
Newcomer

im a huge Vai fan and i thought this show was sub-par at best. they should fire the sound man. all i heard in the first 3 songs were the bass drum and steve. he acoustic set was great but why did he cut songs short and the vocals were feeding back and you could barely hear what he was saying. i hope he gets a chance to come back again but i doubt it. the backing band kicked ass a usual.