REVIEWS: 25 MARCH 2005: HARTFORD, CT

Been to a Vai show? Review it here. Please post in the appropriate thread for each show!
deanmachine
Newcomer

The last few songs...

#31 Post by deanmachine » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:27 am

Hey everyone - I was the big tall scary guy in the EVO experience with the boxset that Steve signed. I had to get up way early so I left during Lotus Feet. What did he play after that? I have some cool digital trippy pics I will post later. - Dean

efess
Newcomer

#32 Post by efess » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:36 am

I noticed that vai and billy's guitars were plugged in, don't they usualy use wireless so they don't trip over each other? any special reason, or just for sound quality?

csteimey1971
Newcomer

#33 Post by csteimey1971 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 am

Amazing show!!!! The EVO Experience was incredible. I was in the group of 3 that had their picture taken with Steve at the end of the discussion. Who ever took the photo, Thanks. Unfortunately, we left to put stuff in the car after the sound check and got stuck outside. I also can't find the pick that was in the EVO bag :cry: We ended up next to the sound board on the right hand side, which is where Steve's wife ended up sitting too. What a kind, wonderful person she is. Another spectacular Vai show. I'll post a few phots once I figure out how :?:

ccompola
Newcomer

Webster Theater

#34 Post by ccompola » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi,

I have been a long time Steve Vai fan. I have also been to many clubs all over the country. I love Steve, but the Webster Theater stunk. My fiance is short and could not see a thing, no matter what we did. I'm 6' 1" and I couldn't even get a glimpse of Steve's head. I agree with the other negative posts about the venue. Steve, if you're out there, please do not play the Webster again. It's a miserable place. Alison was so petrified of all the goons blocking the narrow little aisle to the only bathroom that she had to hold it until almost the end of the show. I myself tried to squeeze through at one point, only to be give a hard time by some guy who did not want to move. I have never had a worse time at a concert.

I like the pictures that others have posted. It looks like it was a great show. Too bad we could not see it.

PS - I'm the guy who was shouting Webster sucks, both inside and outside the show. Then they sent a goon squad of about six guards to tell me to shut up or I was going to get hurt. They chased me halfway down the block. Imagine that, in the United States!

Sincerely,
Chad Compolattaro

Parker_Fly

#35 Post by Parker_Fly » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:27 pm

efess wrote:I noticed that vai and billy's guitars were plugged in, don't they usualy use wireless so they don't trip over each other? any special reason, or just for sound quality?
during sound check vai said his cable and rig for the wireless setup didnt sound right so he decided to go with the cable... i dont know about billy though..

V41

Re: The last few songs...

#36 Post by V41 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:59 pm

deanmachine wrote:Hey everyone - I was the big tall scary guy in the EVO experience with the boxset that Steve signed. I had to get up way early so I left during Lotus Feet. What did he play after that? I have some cool digital trippy pics I will post later. - Dean
I remember you. You were wearing a plaid shirt, right?

I was the short kid in a Power Twins t-shirt with a leather bag who asked about Berklee during the QNA.

Butchman
Newcomer

The Bee Song...

#37 Post by Butchman » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:07 pm

So I won passes to the aftershow here on vai.com to whom I owe a big thanks to the folks who organized it as well as Steve for setting that up. I have been a Vai fan ever since his DLR days when I first heard him and picked up Flexible as soon as it was released. Passion and Warfare is still my all time favorite CD, ever. So naturally my kids are Vai fans by default just from hearing him so much. My girls are 11 and 8 years old and their very favorite Vai song is a song which they call "the bee song" which is Bankok/Fire Garden Suite because of the buzzing intro. It is now a custom that whenever we go to 6 flags in the summer time that we listen to the bee song repeatedly on the way there (it drives my wife nuts :lol: ).

So when I was going to the show I was trying to think of a way that I could somehow get an unorthodox souvenier for them at the show and while waiting outside for the doors to open it hit me. I called home and told my wife to put the phone by the girls if they were asleep and when I met Vai I would see if he would say goodnight to them. She said OK but didn't expect it to happen. I know that Steve is a family man and I said if the opportunity arose I was going to ask him.

Well after the show we waited for Steve to come out and when I saw him come out I immediately called home and my 8 year old was still up waiting!! She woke up her sister and they sat by the phone giggling while I was watching others get autographs. Then I spoke up and told Steve an abbreviated version of the "bee song" story and asked if he would say goodnight to my daughters. "Your daughters?" he asked probably thinking it's 1:30 AM what the hell are they doing up?? He then asked me their names and addressed them by name which I thought was the coolest thing ever! He had a short conversation with them and invited them to a show when they get older which I will definitely bring them to. The whole time I was thinking I wish I could see their faces while this was happening, well low and behold my wife got out the video camera and taped the whole thing!! And because the way that my girls were holding the phone between them, you can hear everything Steve says to them.

Steve, in all of my excitement, I don't even know if I thanked you, so thank you very, very much for making this Dad a hero and for giving us a moment that we will remember forever. I have told this story at least 10 times already and will tell it many more.

I also brought a friend to meet Steve as well who is a big fan (big enough to have a Vai tattoo) and he had Steve sign his leather jacket and boy did he, the signature was at least 8 inches high. He plans to have it embroidered into the jacket. In his excitement he forgot to show Steve his tattoo. Maybe next time.

Awesome show, both of us will be driving up to Boston on Thursday to see it again! And Steve, I will be waiting for one of these tours when you play my all time favorite song, The Riddle...

Warm Regards,
Butch Etheridge

P.S. My son is three and he heard "Glorious" the other day in my car and told me the guitar sounds like a cat. Now we have "the cat song" too! But that's a story for about 5 years from now... :wink:

Crobno
Newcomer

#38 Post by Crobno » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:30 pm

Did anyone talk to Eric Sardinas after the show out in front? Really cool guy. I seriously did not expect him to be out there for as long as he was greeting people and such. He took a picture with me and two friends =) Awesome guy

Crispyaod
Newcomer

#39 Post by Crispyaod » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 pm

as far as Eric Sardinas goes with the aftershow, i actually almost totally missed him cuz that's the way i was going out and i was like "well i was gonna pick up the sardinas CD but the crowd over there is ridiculous so i'll just order it online i guess" and then i just looked once more and i was like OMG!!!!!! so i was like "screw it i'll wait in line". i will say however that i don't even think he was paying any attention. when i met him i shook his hand and before i even said anything he was like "Hey thanks..." as if i had said something nice about him. so i thought that was a little odd but i guess you kinda space out in situations like that.

deanmachine
Newcomer

The last few songs...

#40 Post by deanmachine » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:18 am

Yep V41 - that was me in the plaid shirt, sorry I forgot to post my pics. I'll do so tonight.

Parker_Fly

#41 Post by Parker_Fly » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:55 am

Sweet i remember some of you guys... Here is sum stuff I got, all the evo package stuff, with most of it signed, and a new tshirt with Jeremy's stick on it:

Val Nanovsky
Newcomer

adding images

#42 Post by Val Nanovsky » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:15 pm

Great job, Parker!

Thanks for the pictures!

For those of you guys who don't know exactly how to post pictures, this could be helpful:

1). Upload your images to any web site;
2). Make sure you remember each images's exact URL. The following is just an example (your particular case could be quite different):

http://website.domain/image_folder/image.extension;

3). When you post messages on this forum, just add the following to any line:

[img]http://image_url[/img]

4). Voila![/img]

deanmachine
Newcomer

pics images, movies??

#43 Post by deanmachine » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:09 pm

Hey parker - what site did you use to upload your stuff too? i have 40+ pics and about 7 vids from sound check and the show. Vids are pretty big files though and I don't know legally if I could post them anyway --Dean

GAZollo
Newcomer

#44 Post by GAZollo » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:20 pm

Hey Butchman:

That was me and my wife hanging out with you during the meet and greet! Great post! Great story! That's cool that your wife caught the whole thing on video! Hey, can you post your friends pics? Did he get any good shots?

G

Parker_Fly

Re: pics images, movies??

#45 Post by Parker_Fly » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:04 pm

deanmachine wrote:Hey parker - what site did you use to upload your stuff too? i have 40+ pics and about 7 vids from sound check and the show. Vids are pretty big files though and I don't know legally if I could post them anyway --Dean
I used photobucket but you cant load vids on it..