VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bad Horsie. My version.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 pm 
Newcomer

Here is my version of Bad Horsie... I call it Bad Mr. Ed

http://soundcloud.com/aaron-leone/bad-mister-ed/s-g12aG

Enjoy,

Aaron Leone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 am 

Great cover bro! I love the grittiness in your tone.

"Steve was my teacher for a period of time and this was one assignment he had given."

That's awesome! Was it private lessons or did you do his master class or the course at Berklee? What was it like?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 am 
Newcomer

Hey Pape,

Thanks for listening, yeah that was from the first Berkeley course. that by for couple years ago.
We were all given an assignment each week. you do you improvise over or do you want me to park or do your own version. Just call depended on the focus of the week.

Remember correctly you're given new assignment each week. We will get you the Evite video on Monday but our assignment was due by the following Sunday.

The class ranged from beginner to advanced. The assignment might require you duplicating apart or section of the tune.

As the weeks went on I chose to do full song or partial presentations instead of just jamming on a vamp. Some solos were duplicated. Some improvised.

For me I listen to the song all week. Read through the chart or focused on difficult licks.

Some of it was sight reading. Some from memory but I always make sure I had the chart to know where I was over the backing track.

After we go to meditation on the particular song, I was going to my report is due you at 5 PM every Saturday. Sometimes two hours to six hours later I will come out with the finished track.

I would have to say the one thing I learned from Steve's course was to be productive and work against a deadline. He didn't teach me how to play anything in particular like new scales, technique or reading but it made me strive to do the best I can... I can't speak for the other students tho.

It was very enjoyable and worth the tuition. But in my mind, money spent does not matter the most valuable aspect of this was finding out how to focus.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:36 am 

That's great! Glad you got something out of it. I wanted to take if pretty bad, never did go through with it! Keep it up bro! Share some more if you get a chance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:10 am 
Newcomer

Great stuff. Fab sound XxX