VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:10 pm 
Newcomer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfBqASUeJoE

I attempted to learn and record this track as close to the original as possible as a kind of challenge over three years ago when I was 18. I really devoted myself fully when I played it so hopefully there is a lot of emotion in it that comes through.

I originally filmed it but didn't like how to video turned out and thought that the sound quality was 'too good' for the video somehow so decided to just upload the audio with a still image of my guitar. This puts full emphasis on the music though which I prefer in this case.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and please comment :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 pm 

Wow

I was about to call you pretentious for a title like that... But that was damn good.

There were a few missing harmonics I think, a lack of vibrato at some points. And the pickin was sometimes... Boxy? Almost some apathy, almost too clean (if that's possible lol)

It sounded amazing though. Better than any time I ever tried to do it. Although I never tried to do it like the original. Not many even attempt it like the original.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:09 pm 
Newcomer

kyle am I wrote:
Wow

I was about to call you pretentious for a title like that... But that was damn good.

Thanks, got a similar reaction on another forum :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:19 pm 
Newcomer

Excellent work! I tend to snub my nose at someone who covers a song and tries to be as accurate as the studio version. I accept your reason of a personal challenge. :) I love listening to covers when the artist takes a song and goes in a completely different direction. Like The Necro Tonz jazzy cover of Type O Negative's Black No. 1, or Eric Johnson's version of Dylan's My Back Pages. I once did a version of SRV's Mary Had a Little Lamb with a friend at this open mic when I was a teenager, instead of the "Tisket, tasket..." line, we went with a Mary themed dirty limerick my grandfather taught me. Most people loved the alternate lyric, but my evening ended in an argument with a very drunk audience member trying to school me on how it was supposed to be sung. ;)