VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Peanut Butter and Snooze
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:44 pm 
Newcomer

I've seen Steve live and recently took in Dweezil's Zappa Plays Zappa show and have a healthy respect for Steve's roots, but what's with all the G3+ jams that go no where tonally? A few minutes of licks and tricks are entertaining, but with the caliber of some of the players that have shared the stage with Steve surely the could come up with a better set of changes to jam over (other than Neil Young) that actually challenges the players to make an effort.

It's obvious why Steve would use a tune like Rockin' In the Free World, but listening to someone like Al DiMeola or Eric Johnson riff for 20 minutes over the same tonal center is a disappointment to anyone hoping to hear some inventive playing. Throw some cycles in there or a modulation or two, something. Every time I look for something interesting on YouTube it's the same guitar ramblings and just seems like the appeal is to an audience that supposedly can't comprehend more than three chords. However, I think just about anyone with a pair of ears can appreciate better musicality and would find it far more inspiring than half an hour of string skips and cat meows over Em.

It doesn't take a degree from Berkeley to appreciate when musicians are really making changes happen and if you're going to bring cats on stage let them actually play. Steve's compositions are always dynamite and his players smoke, but the jams are a snooze fest IMO. Maybe there's a recording floating around that I just haven't found. Hope to hear something more interesting in the future.

PS What's with the Ric Ocasek hairdo Steve donned at his Al DiMeola guest appearance?