Login with a social network:

It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:11 am 

Dessert night one! We loved it, our guests loved it, you'll love it, too!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aart ... ecipe.html

Creamy Pistachio Pops (Kulfi)

One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
4 Earl Grey tea bags
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
Handful finely chopped pistachios, plus extra for garnish

In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the evaporated milk to a simmer until small bubbles form around the circumference of the pot. Meanwhile, snip the tops of the tea bags and add to the evaporated milk. Whisk in the cardamom. Once the milk is simmering, turn the heat off, cover and let sit and steep for 30 minutes.

Strain the evaporated milk into a large bowl. Whisk in the condensed milk, heavy cream and pistachios. Pour the mixture into ice pop molds, small bowls or a large bowl. Cover the bowls with a piece of plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn and the formation of a "skin." Pop them into the freezer and freeze overnight.

When you're ready to serve, run the ice pop mold under hot water to loosen it. You can do the same thing for the smaller bowls if you'd like to serve it as a little kulfi half dome. Garnish with more nuts if you like and serve.

Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira, 2010

***We made this in small 1/2 cup-size containers w/ lids. (We got 7 servings this way.) When we served them, we popped 'em out of the containers, drizzled some honey over each one, and then sprinkled the pistachios on. Big hit. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:00 am 

Well, now that I've had a chance to catch my breath, LOL... I mentioned I'd write a bit of a review of Cafe Sunflower.
Well let me start by saying this is really not an advertisement for them! I promise! But it may look like one, just coz it was sooooooooooooooooo good! Alright...

So when we got there, we were greeted with a warm and friendly smile. And a delicious aroma of cooking wafting gently from the kitchen.
We were seated right away coz it wasn't very busy right when we got there, and we decided on some berry iced tea for most of us. (E. opted for just water...) We got some appetizers... a large plate of nachos (honestly, 2 people could almost make a meal on the nachos! It was a great app between the 5 of us), Basil Rolls (like summer rolls, sliced in half, very nice) and Sandy Spring Roll (crispy spring rolls, also sliced in half.) We shared those along with some warm bread rolls.
As we nibbled through our apps, a few more people trickled in, but it never got really crowded. *That could be due to our being there in the middle of the week, rather than a weekend...

Small salads arrived next. Mine had a Soy Sesame dressing that was delicious. Then the main meal! OMG...

I had the Spicy Pad Thai Noodles, and I LOVED them! Rice noodles, tofu, and veggies tossed in a spicy coconut peanut sauce. Not too much heat, but a very definite 'kick' that left my lips pleasantly tingling after. Image
My sweetie got a HUGE Burrito, filled with a 3 bean mix, brown rice, veggies, and "burger" crumbles. He loved it. Vegan cheese was an option, but he didn't want that. He did get some jalapeños, though. He loves all kinds of spicy peppers.
M. ordered the Wild Mushroom Fettuccine. She was not sure about the leeks, and asked if they could leave them out, and they did. The mushroom stock made a fantastic sauce, and there were 3 kinds of mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and spinach. Looked delish, smelled rich and wonderful, and M. was loving every bite.
E. and my Mother-in-Law both got the Baked Samosas. They looked so nice, the pastry was crispy and flaky, and the filling of curried potatoes and peas smelled lovely. They both cleaned their plates with satisfied smiles and couldn't stop commenting on how good it was.

Honestly, the only down-side... I would have loved some cake, but I had no room left! None of us did. We were comfortably well fed without feeling 'stuffed'. But a slice of cake? That would have pushed us over the edge. (darn it! LOL)

Our server was a sweet lady, always ready with a refill on our tea or water, checking in with us without being intrusive, and was just lovely to talk with.

It was a wonderful night, delicious meals, and a quiet, yet comfortable atmosphere.
We went to the Sandy Springs one, but there's also one in Buckhead. (Both fairly close to Atlanta, considered part of the Metro Atlanta Area, I think...)

It was awesome. I loved it. And I really want to go back!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:28 am 

Anyone else have a good veg. restaurant (or not just veg, but with a good veg option on the menu)? I'd really love some ideas, if y'all have any! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:44 am 

Okay, so you may remember my mushroom stew that I posted waaaaay back on page 2 of this thread...
Well, I played around and changed it up a bit. Because I can, LOL 8)

Anyway...

You start with the onions and garlic just as before, saute just a bit in olive oil, just to get a little colour on the onions. And you add in about 12 ounces of mushrooms and get some heat in them.

But from here, I changed things up. I poured in most of my vegetable stock, saving out about 1/2 cup. Into the saved 1/2 cup, I stirred in about 3 tablespoons of potato starch. (easier to work than corn starch, 'cleaner' taste than flour.) I poured the starch stock mix into the pot and stir it in. Throw in a bay leaf or two. An envelope of onion soup mix is still a great flavour, but I also added some vegetable dip mix (Lipton again.) And of course, the wine. :wink: Let simmer for a while, maybe an hour, then add in some basil, oregano, thyme, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Let simmer for another 1/2 hour or so, then do up the potatoes like normal, cleaned and cubed into bite size pieces. After your potatoes have been in for about 40 mins., another delicious change...
I found a yummy add-in: Home Style Beefless Tips made by Gardein. All you do is get some olive oil nice and hot, saute the frozen Beefless Tips for about 5 minutes, maybe a smidgen less. You can add the tips to the stew here, and get your carrots ready while the tips are simmering. Sprinkle some salt and taste to see if you need to adjust your spices.
Now just clean and cut your carrots into bite-size, and add them in and cook to desired tenderness. (I still don't want 'em mushy, so 20-30 mins. is plenty of time.

fish out the bay leaves and serve with a nice crusty bread
8)
Leftovers refrigerate and reheat wonderfully, of course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:09 am 

http://www.food.com/recipe/my-sisters-s ... read-26162

We got more sweet potatoes than we needed for Thanksgiving... So we tried this out. And we LOVED it!

2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 cups mashed canned candied yams or 2 cups sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour
1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg, sweet potatoes and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (except walnuts) together well and add to wet ingredients.
Stir until just combined.
Fold in walnuts.
Pour into 2 standard loaf pans.
Bake for 75 minutes or until thin knife inserted in center comes out clean.

We did this, and it took about 1 hour, not 75 mins. We always like to do a doneness check before the time specified in a recipe, coz some ovens can vary in how efficient they cook, and some may have 'drifted' from proper temp.

We ended up, between the three of us, finishing both loaves very quickly! We ate some as a snack, we had a slice for dessert, and we enjoyed some for breakfast... I think we had both loaves gone in 2 1/2 days.!.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:43 am 

Anybody else think back to your pre-veg days, and the simple deliciousness of a sloppy-Joe night?
With the many brands of meat-free crumbles available, you can make 'em again!
Or you can use lentils, as I found in this version by Jamie Oliver

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-fea ... QghkYfy.97

Vegan lentil sloppy Joes

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 red or yellow sweet pepper, diced
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 cup (200g) French lentils
1- 28oz (796ml) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
6 whole-wheat or sprouted grain buns, sliced in half
Toppings (optional): relish, pickles, avocado, coleslaw, sliced onions…anything goes!

Heat the olive oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion, pepper and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until they soften. Sprinkle in the cumin and chilli powder; cook for an additional minute.
Add the lentils, 3 cups of water, tomato sauce, tomato paste and Sriracha. Increase heat to high and bring the lentils a simmer. Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if the level falls below the lentils.
Taste the lentils, and if they are sufficiently tender (stoves and pots may vary) add the salt and balsamic. Stir and serve over buttered buns you favourite toppings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 am 

I don't know where my MIL got this one, but oooh, we love it!

Strawberry Bread

2 cups Sugar
3 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 cups Frozen Strawberries, thawed
1 cup Pecans, chopped
4 Eggs
1 1/4 cup cooking oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit)
Butter and flour three 8 x 4 x 2 inch loaf pans.
Mix all ingredients together in large mixing bowl, pour batter into prepared pans (try to get 'em all evenly filled)
Bake for about one hour, until done. *Test doneness w/ toothpick, insert into center of loaf. The toothpick should come out clean.

It's crazy easy, and soooo good! We eat it as breakfast, snacks, and dessert! Three loaves do not last long, around here! We've gifted some to friends and family, as well. Always gets rave reviews. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:36 am 

Just a quick note
In my vegetable/cabbage soup, I tried a little something different.
A package of frozen spinach.

I don't use a lot of frozen veg, coz sometimes they come out a bit mush or soft. But spinach is wonderful to add to a recipe where it's gonna wilt or cook down a lot anyway. Frozen spinach is perfect in soup, adds a lot of nutrition (Iron, Vitamins, Calcium, Zinc, etc, etc...) AND it's yummy!

I'd stay away from canned spinach, though. That's just gross, (to me, anyway, LOL)

Fresh is always best, but not always available. So try frozen for things like soup or lasagna fillings. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm 

Road-trippin' w/ mom soon, and the first leg is a short one. I'll come back and let y'all know if there's any veg.-friendly awesomeness out there!

This first leg is w/ a travel group, and some of the meals are at planned restaurants. My mom talked w/ the tour coordinator to let her know there's a vegetarian to consider, so let's hope that there's more than salads for the veg. option, LOL!

The second leg, later in April, that's gonna be more going where the wind takes us, more or less. So we'll be able to go where we want for food. 8) We'll be going pretty much all over, so I'm still open to suggestions if y'all know of any places for yummy veg. eats... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am 

Okay, I'm back from the first trip w/ mom (bus tour with a bunch of folks), and I managed to eat something where ever we stopped, LOL :lol:
But I think my very favourite stop was when we went to Blues City Cafe (on Beale St. in Tennessee.)
Now, they were offering a choice between Ribs, Catfish, or Fried Chicken for the tour bus. Well, that's not gonna work! So I let them know there's a lone veg. in the group... And OMG, the guy was awesome!
He has a busload of people to take care of, but he zeroed in on me to give me a full run-down of veggie options. (I chose a huge salad loaded up with all kinds of yummy 8) )
So everyone is starting to get their food, I'm waiting on my salad, when our server comes back asking if I like mushrooms. Well, yeah! Love them. And he's gone for a moment. Then another person comes to the group, asks who's the vegetarian? *Me...* and wants to know if butter is ok? *yup...*
So my table gets food, and my salad shows up, and it's crazy huge! Nice blend of crunchy green stuff, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and on and on... (after some rather heavy meals, I was so ready for a salad, LOL!)
Then our server comes back with something special...
A still-sizzling little skillet of mushrooms.
Not a menu option.
Made special by the boss just for me. Image

So.. yes, the salad was delish, and the mushrooms were fantastic... but even more, I loved the service! Making sure that I had a good meal, even though it meant going off the set items... in general, checking back with our group several times to keep everyone happy (but not so much that it was interrupting. That can be annoying. Our guy was perfect) and that special extra...
That whole night was wonderful, and dinner at Blues City Cafe was just the best.

**Yeah, I know. I was saying let's hope there's more than salad...
But seriously, so many nights with cheese grits, potatoes, or something else heavy, I was craving a salad! LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:42 am 

Vegan. Jerky. :shock:
I'll tell you more as soon as I'm re-settled.
But I'm not kidding...
Vegan. Jerky.
And it's yummy... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:35 pm 

Jenn Pix wrote:
Okay, I'm back from the first trip w/ mom (bus tour with a bunch of folks), and I managed to eat something where ever we stopped, LOL :lol:
But I think my very favourite stop was when we went to Blues City Cafe (on Beale St. in Tennessee.)
Now, they were offering a choice between Ribs, Catfish, or Fried Chicken for the tour bus. Well, that's not gonna work! So I let them know there's a lone veg. in the group... And OMG, the guy was awesome!
He has a busload of people to take care of, but he zeroed in on me to give me a full run-down of veggie options. (I chose a huge salad loaded up with all kinds of yummy 8) )
So everyone is starting to get their food, I'm waiting on my salad, when our server comes back asking if I like mushrooms. Well, yeah! Love them. And he's gone for a moment. Then another person comes to the group, asks who's the vegetarian? *Me...* and wants to know if butter is ok? *yup...*
So my table gets food, and my salad shows up, and it's crazy huge! Nice blend of crunchy green stuff, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and on and on... (after some rather heavy meals, I was so ready for a salad, LOL!)
Then our server comes back with something special...
A still-sizzling little skillet of mushrooms.
Not a menu option.
Made special by the boss just for me. Image

So.. yes, the salad was delish, and the mushrooms were fantastic... but even more, I loved the service! Making sure that I had a good meal, even though it meant going off the set items... in general, checking back with our group several times to keep everyone happy (but not so much that it was interrupting. That can be annoying. Our guy was perfect) and that special extra...
That whole night was wonderful, and dinner at Blues City Cafe was just the best.

**Yeah, I know. I was saying let's hope there's more than salad...
But seriously, so many nights with cheese grits, potatoes, or something else heavy, I was craving a salad! LOL!

Hey, Beautiful Friend.....the next time I'm in Memphis, I'll be sure to check out the Blues City Cafe!!!! :headbang :headbang 8) It sounds like a Southern-food "dream-come-true"!!!! :D :D :peace I'm so glad you had a good trip, my wonderful friend!!!! :headbang :headbang :D :peace XOXOXOXO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:07 am 

Perhaps one of the biggest surprises to me... all the chains/fast food places that had some veggie option. All those places advertising their chicken salads... they'll leave the chicken off if you ask. Subway is wonderful for a plant-eater... some of them have a veg patty (like a veggie burger kind of). Not all, but some. But even w/o the patty, I could still get all the veggies on my sub, and it was always a yummy. 8)
Denny's was a big surprise... "Build Your Own Burger" and... Yes!, they had veggie burgers if you wanted! Only did that once, I think... but it's cool that they have that available.

In general, I found that if you ask, most places will have some veg options. Coolness :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:27 pm 

Anyone want to weigh in on a favourite soy/almond (or other) milk?
I'm getting a bit sensitive to the lactose in dairy milk...

(Still no problems w/ cheese, though! I guess coz the process breaks down the lactose...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:35 am 

Oh man... I can't believe I promised a chili recipe, and I still haven't posted it, yet! :shock:
I'll be gathering the supplies soon, I PROMISE, FOR REAL, I'll post the chili recipe soon as I can!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next