VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 am 

Pape wrote:
I have a new go to dressing for salads.

2 mangos, peeled and chopped
2 red bell peppers
Small bit of cilantro (to taste)

Blend it all up! I have a vitamix that makes it smooth, your blender might need more blend time or finer chopped fruits, or a little water to make it smooth if not high powered.

This makes about a cup (without added water) of dressing. Has a sweet, peppery taste.

Add some ginger and lemongrass and it adds an awesome oriental flair to it

My salads are usually a mix of home grown Swiss chard, kale, and peppers with a bag salad mix like a spring mix for less bitter greens. Then add some other veggies and fruits on top. (Raisins and berries are my favorites)

Oooh! That sounds so good! We have a NutriBullet , so it can probably do a good job on that, with just a splash of water or maybe a touch of cider vinegar...

Ginger... I love it!! I adore ginger in dressings, nice and 'zingy' :wink:
I had a monster salad with strawberry and raspberry vinaigrette dressing last night. Sweet/tart fruits and the 'zing' of the vinegar played nicely with the peppery notes of kale and arugula and the sweetness of dried cranberries (one of my favourite add-ins...)

Next shopping trip, I'm gonna have to get the mangoes and try that dressing. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:34 am 

This looks amazingly delicious, I can't wait to try it!
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/debi-mazar-and-gabriele-corcos/spinach-and-ricotta-gnocchi.html

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds fresh spinach (about 3 bunches)
1 (16-ounce) container ricotta cheese
6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls fresh sage

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Bring a large pot salted water to a boil.

Cut the stems off the spinach, and soak the leaves in the sink. Wash them thoroughly.

Add the spinach to the boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove spinach from the water and plunge in a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

Drain the spinach very well, and using a clean tea towel, squeeze out the extra water. Chop the leaves very fine.

Put the cooked spinach in a large bowl, add the ricotta, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, egg yolks, and season with a couple pinches salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Mix well, and make sure that the ricotta crumbles into fine pieces, and mixes properly with the spinach. Shape the mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.

Lightly butter a 13 by 9-inch casserole dish, lay all the gnocchi in it, and dress it with a few very thin slices butter and a sprinkling of Parmesan. Cook the gnocchi at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, and then use the broiler for the last 5 minutes to crisp and brown the top of the spinach balls.

In a medium skillet, melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, and saute the sage until it starts to brown. Serve the gnocchi on a warm plate and dress with the sage-butter sauce, and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:13 am 

This looks good, too. But such a lot of sugar in the dressing! Many of the comments suggested adding some vinegar and cutting the sugar. The great thing about dressings is that you can take the basic idea to start, then adjust it to your preference. I'd say taste it as you go, and check the sweetness with only part of the sugar, and decide if you want to add more. *Just looking at the ingredients, I'd agree with some kind of apple cider or rice wine vinegar for that sharpness and brightness, and some fresh ginger to amp up the complexity...

Here it is...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/tys-thai-salad-recipe.html

Ingredients
Thai Salad:
1 head Napa cabbage, shredded
1 head red cabbage, shredded
1 large cucumber, julienned
One 10-ounce bag shelled edamame, cooked
2 carrots, peeled and grated
2 green onions, finely sliced

1 avocado, peeled and finely sliced

Sweet Lime-Cilantro Dressing:
2 cups olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions
For the Thai salad: In a large serving bowl, toss the cabbages, cucumber, edamame, carrots and green onions.

For the sweet lime-cilantro dressing: Put the oil, cilantro, sugar, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper in a large blender and blend until smooth.

Top each serving of salad with 2 tablespoons of the sweet lime-cilantro dressing and 2 slices of avocado for garnish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

I have to try that one too!

Im on a huge watermellon kick right now. Been doing monomeals of it! Got a few of em to go after a great price on some from a local market.

I do better with monomeals it seems. I dont get that tired feeling after I eat. Might be something to it I need to research! Keep em coming! Love these posts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 pm 

Monomeals... I'm not entirely clear on that.
One food for the meal, or for the whole day?
Like, If I were to go with pineapple for breakfast, could I then do, say, spinach for lunch?, or do I stick with pineapple all day?
I have done all pineapple for breakfast a few times, and I quite like that. I had never really thought of doing just one food for lunch or supper (except when I got sick, and all I wanted was to sip on some vegetable broth. But even that is a combination of veggies, so it doesn't really count as a monomeal, right?)

It is interesting to think about, but I'm not sure I could do that for long.
Then again, when I was growing up, I never thought I could see myself a vegetarian, and now.. can't imagine ever going back to meat. It holds no appeal to me, on several levels. (But that's a whole other discussion, and we don't really need to go there...)

And now I want some watermelon... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:37 am 

I think watermelon might be addictive!

Mono meal is just one fruit or veggie for a meal, I guess it could be done all day, but I do meal wise. So only pineapple for breakfast, only bananas for luch type thing. On some research the idea is that it digests much easier, and doesn't start to ferment n the stomach. For instance, if you eat a bunch of pasta, then watermelon after, the melon digests faster and starts to ferment while the pasta hadn't digested yet. It causes gas, bloating, and stomach pains.... I don't do it all the time, but when I eat only one thing at any given meal I seem to do better myself.

I think this is done more from raw fruitarians (high fruit low fat raw vegans) more so than other vegan diets, because acidic fruit and sweet fruit like bananas don't mix well during digestion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm 

Interesting.

" because acidic fruit and sweet fruit like bananas don't mix well during digestion."

Now, I've never had that problem, but I do know that there are some foods that I don't mix.
Dairy tends to not do well with something too acidic, for example. And some breads don't sit too well if I have too much. And there are some veggies that can leave me feeling a bit funky if I toss them in with a salad, but alone or with other things, no problem at all. :?

I think it really comes down to listening to your body and finding out what works for you. I really love mixing up sweet and tart, and I don't have any issues, but I can see how some might be more sensitive. It's all in how we're wired, I suppose. :wink:
Then again, there are times when I get a craving for all the acidic things, like strawberries, pineapple, kiwi and raspberries. Don't want bananas or sweet grapes or watermelon when I'm craving acidic fruits. And sometimes I just want that "green" taste, and I pile on kale and arugula and spinach, but don't really go for tomatoes or nuts or carrots...
Maybe a little more experimenting with monomeals could be a good thing for me to try... *hmmm...*

The body is pretty good at letting you know what it needs. As long as you listen to it.

... and yeah, there's something crazy delicious about watermelon. Especially in the summertime 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gOeH3E ... q_PBDSEKaN :lol:

I just adore her!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:48 pm 
Newcomer

Thanks for sharing the nice recipe with us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:28 am 

andersonsmith wrote:
Thanks for sharing the nice recipe with us.

Always a pleasure 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:41 am 

And one from Martha Stewart "It's a good thing" :lol: ... my mother-in-law found it for me, and I'll be giving it a try soon.

Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew

2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder (yum! I love curry powder in soups and stews!)
2 cups dried lentils (she notes brown lentils, but I imagine green ones or even the red ones would be good, too...)
2 sweet potatoes (approx. 1 pound), peeled and diced to about 1/2 inch pieces
9 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1/2 inc pieces
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few leaves for garnish.
Coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
plain low-fat yogurt, for serving.

In a large cast iron casserole (Okay Martha, I have a soup pot, that's what I'm gonna use...), heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrots, celery, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring often, until just softened, approx 5 mins. Add garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more.

Add 7 cups water and the lentils and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook, covered, until lentils and potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.

Stir in green beans and tomatoes with their juice. Cook until heated through, 2-4 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Add chopped cilantro; season with salt and pepper, stir in. Serve topped with yogurt and garnished with cilantro leaves.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
**Okay, I don't like soft carrots. They feel wrong in my mouth. I would probably add the carrots when I add the sweet potatoes. Also, I mostly use olive oil, not canola. Other than those minor shifts, this sounds like a pretty good dish. And since we are expecting some cooler weather around here, I'll probably be giving this a go fairly soon. (But before that, I've got a date with my mushroom stew from page 2 of this thread, LOL!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 am 

Okay, I cannot stress enough the benefit of yogurt and really good, slow cooked steel-cut oatmeal when your insides need a cleaning out...
**like when you absently grab the wrong bowl of taco salad

Pretty much, I just got distracted putting supper together, grabbed the wrong bowl, and didn't realize until after...Image and being really hungry that night, I didn't really take my time with it. I just kinda plowed through. :oops: I discovered my oops after the fact. Too late. Oww.
But I can't beat myself up over that. Just gotta be more mindful when plating. And while eating. (insert about a thousand facepalm gifs, here, LOL) And that's something I wanted to share, here. Sometimes mistakes do happen. I can be really, ferociously hard on myself, sometimes, but that's no good for me. The mistake was made, my lesson learned, I have to move on. And I just wanted to say, if anyone of you is transitioning to veg, be good to yourself if you slip up one time. or two times. whatever.
These things do happen. Especially easy to slip when you're the only veg in a family of omnivores. And they insist on meat in favorite dishes.

Don't focus on the one mistake coz you got distracted or whatever. Focus instead on the +2 1/2 years (or however long you've gone...) that you've made yummy veg dishes, tasty discoveries, and the choice that works for your body and your life.

Like when you quit smoking. You can't throw it all away because you caved to a craving and lit up. You look at that as one slip, not as a complete and utter failing of yourself. It's so easy to say horrible things about yourself, but you really need to be good to yourself. You're human. Humans make mistakes. It's okay.

All right, so this wasn't a craving, it was distraction, but I still think the same thing holds. It's one slip. You learn from it, you move on. It's okay.

But now, I gotta say... yogurt, steel-cut oatmeal, and chia seeds. All of these are really good at helping to move things through and out. (Else I'd still be in some serious hurt, right now...)
If ever you find yourself in need of a clearing (and it doesn't have to be coz you ate something you shouldn't have or didn't want to...), and you don't have your favourite cleanse system (if you're into that kind of thing,) yogurt is great coz of those active cultures. Those good for you bacteria that live and thrive and party in your gut... they are very good at keeping things moving along as they should.
Steel-cut oats are a fantastic sweeper. It moves through slower than rolled oats. And those steel-cut oats, man they sweep up and scrub out the insides soooo well. Yeah, they take a long time to cook, but make a meditation out of it. Mindful cooking is a good thing.
And chia. Those little miracle seeds that make everything awesome. Chia, like yogurt, keeps things moving.

Sorry if a bit... TMI, but just felt like it was something helpful. I mean, I do have a 7 day cleanse that I do sometimes. And it's awesome. It's also expensive, and I have to get it from the health/herb shop. And I couldn't get there. So I went with yogurt, steel-cut oats (so good with a little honey, btw) and chia. And lots of water.
And I feel a lot better.

**but now my sweetie keeps teasing me about being 'struck down by evil meat-cooties'. :roll:

but I can fire back that he didn't notice that he got my veg taco salad, :wink: despite his insistence that he likes meat in his, and would "totally notice". :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:19 am 

Stew, chili and soup time again.
Making my mushroom stew (from page 2 of the thread) soon, and I'll tell y'all about my fave chili mixes soon...

What do all y'all like when the weather takes a turn toward the colder.?.
Casseroles.?. Soups.?. Pasta dishes.?. How do you fill up in autumn and winter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:44 am 
Newcomer

Jenn, you rock! I just found this thread and I already have a pan of fudge setting in the fridge! :)

My family is vegan. (Me, hubby and 2 kiddos.) We switched from a vegetarian diet just over 3 years ago and we love it. I miss cheese like crazy, but there are some decent subs out there now. I have some recipes that I will have to write down and share. I started making a cold pasta salad this summer that is super yummy. Our new family favorite is garlic pizza rolls!

I am going to have a large number of organic apples delivered by a local farmer this week. I can't wait to try your apple cake recipe! My subs for egg are usually unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana. I do a lot of baking, so I always keep the small lunch-size packs of applesauce on hand. 1/4 cup generally replaces 1 egg. I will also be making cinnamon applesauce and dehydrated apple slices.

2 weeks until Thanksgiving. What will you be making? I think we will have hot "turkey" sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy. I'll be making cranberry sauce and egg nog cookies too. Yummy!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:14 pm 

Hey Lizzie
Y'all are gonna love that fudge, it's crazy rich and delish. :wink: And that apple cake is insane. Applesauce in place of the eggs is a fantastic idea. The batter is really stiff and it's a work-out to mix the walnuts in (We stir in by hand so we don't break the nuts up too much...) But the results are soooooooooo worth the work! And I will say again, tempting though it may be to dig in right away, let that cake sit over night! It's like, 10,000 times better after sitting. The juice in the apples will really make the texture a moist delight and the flavour intensifies. We like it for a dessert, but it's also a nice, sweet slice for breakfast, too :wink: (just ask my mother-in-law!) :lol:

I would love to see some of your recipes, If I can cut more eggs out, that's always a good thing. I have cut quite a bit of dairy, but I just can't see myself going all the way to vegan. Yogurt is just too important to me, and I have yet to find a butter sub that tastes right. :roll: oh well. :lol: I'm always on the look-out for gravy and sauces. My recipe books are just not that good about gravies.

Oh holidays! I must admit, I tend to fill up my plate with sides! I was never all that crazy for turkey or ham before, so it's not a huge departure. We have a cornbread dressing that we changed up a bit, using veggie stock in place of chicken broth. And it ended up better that way 8) (*not even close to vegan, though... eggs, butter and buttermilk. Is there a good vegan cornbread out there.?.*) We also do sweet potatoes and a butternut and acorn squash soufflé, green beans that have been blanched and tossed with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper. Yummmy! My sweetie makes dinner roll dough in the bread machine, and they are seriously addictive! I use the larger dinner rolls as a bun for a "chick'n" sandwich. (MorningStar or Bocca)

...Egg nog cookies.?. Now how do you do those?!? That sounds like a must for our Christmas/Yule menu!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next