Login with a social network:

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:58 pm 

Now this is why I love wandering over to BuzzFeed now and then!

41 Delicious Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/41-delicious-vegan-thanksgiving-recipes

Starters, sides, main dishes and desserts!
I'm amazed, sometimes, by all the options out there, once you start looking around. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:58 am 

Just sub vegetable stock for the beef broth, and it's a great veg. dish.
Sub some vegan alternatives for the egg noodles, butter, sour cream and goat cheese, and it's a vegan dish!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mushroom-stroganoff-with-goat-cheese-recipe.html

Mushroom Stroganoff with Goat Cheese (Alton Brown)

Ingredients
12 ounces extra-wide egg noodles *or egg-free alternative, if you like*
3 tablespoons unsalted butter *or a good butter-like spread, if trying vegan or just dairy-free*
5 portabella mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 bunch green onions, sliced and white bottoms and green tops separated
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
14 ounces beef broth **VEGGIE Stock!** LOL
8 ounces sour cream *or dairy free alternative...*
4 ounces fresh goat cheese *or a dairy-free alternative*
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, plus more for garnish

Directions
Add the noodles to 4 quarts of cold water in a 6-quart pot, cover and place over high heat. Cook to al dente, 18 to 22 minutes, *or according to package directions, if subbing egg-free, as they may cook different. Alton mentioned even just slightly under cooking, and letting them finish in the sauce.*stirring occasionally.

Melt the butter in a 12-inch straight-sided saute pan set over medium-high heat. Increase the heat to high, add the mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Saute until they darken in color, soften and give off their liquid, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the white bottoms of the green onions and saute 2 to 3 minutes.

Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Cook until the flour disappears and the fond on the bottom of the pan turns dark brown, about 1 minute. Deglaze with the beef broth. Bring to a simmer and decrease the heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, and then add the sour cream, goat cheese and black pepper. Stir to combine, and then partially cover and bring to a simmer to warm through, 2 to 4 minutes.

Drain the noodles, add to the pan and stir to combine. Garnish with the green onion tops and additional black pepper. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2012

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... c=linkback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:01 am 

This looked pretty good, I'll have to try it soon!

http://www.shelikesfood.com/1/post/2015/01/cheesy-spaghetti-squash-melts.html

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Melts
Recipe type: Appetizer, Entree, Gluten Free

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
1 teaspoon olive oil
¾ teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 cup tomato sauce
About 8-10 slices of bread, gluten free if needed
1 garlic clove, peeled
1-2 cups shredded cheese

Instructions:

Using a sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half. Scrap the inside of the spaghetti squash, with a metal spoon, so that the spaghetti squash comes out in small pieces. You should get about 3 cups.
Heat a large pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Next add the spaghetti squash and the remaining herbs and spices. Cook spaghetti squash until tender, 10-12 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and stir.
Turn the oven to broil. Place the bread onto a large cookie sheet and stick under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until slightly toasted. Take bread out and rub each slice with the garlic clove. Top each with a large spoonful of the spaghetti squash mixture and sprinkle with desired amount of grated cheese. Place back under the broiler until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes. Top with chopped parsley, if desired.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:14 am 

Martha Stewart had a good looking chocolate "pudding"... I'll be trying as soon as avocados are more reasonably priced :wink:

3 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Flaky sea salt, for serving

Puree avocados, cocoa, honey and vanilla in food processor or blender until smooth. Sprinkle with sea salt before serving.

I've seen things like this before, where avocado is turned into a chocolate 'custard' or 'pudding'... has anyone tried this? Apparently, it doesn't taste like avocado at all, just sweet, chocolate awesomeness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:04 pm 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aida ... ecipe.html

Creamy Baked Pumpkin Risotto

Ingredients
5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups arborio rice
2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, small dice
1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 medium yellow onion, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
Heat oven to 400 degrees F and arrange a rack in the middle.

Combine broth, rice, squash, puree, and onion in a 3-quart baking dish, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir to evenly combine. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake, stirring occasionally, until most the water has been absorbed and rice granules are puffed, about 35 to 30 minutes.

Remove from oven, stir in remaining ingredients, season to taste and serve.

Recipe courtesy Aida Mollenkamp

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aida ... c=linkback

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:25 am 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... iches.html
Crispy Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom and Cheese Sandwiches

Ingredients
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs, beaten, at room temperature
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
Four 1/2-inch-thick eggplant slices (1/2 a medium eggplant)
Four 4-inch diameter portobello mushrooms, stemmed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, optional
Four 1/2- to 3/4-inch-thick slices country wheat bread, toasted or grilled
3/4 cup jarred tomato-basil sauce, (such as Giada De Laurentiis for Target) ***though I used Bertolli Tomato Basil***
8 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
2 cups arugula

Directions
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray 2 heavy baking sheets with vegetable oil cooking spray or line with silicon baking mats. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Place the eggs in another medium bowl. Place the breadcrumbs in a third medium bowl. Toss the eggplant slices and mushrooms in the flour mixture to coat. Working in batches, dip the eggplant slices and mushrooms first in the eggs and then into the breadcrumbs to coat. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, if using, and roast until brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.

To assemble the sandwiches, spread each slice of bread with 2 tablespoons of tomato-basil sauce. Place the mushrooms on top. Add 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/2 cup of arugula. Place the eggplant slices on top. Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato-basil sauce on top of the eggplant. Repeat for the remaining sandwiches and serve.

Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

This looked so good, I had to try it for myself! Came out so yummy and crispy/crunchy 8)
These are going to be "open-face" (no tops), but if you want to make 'em closed sandwiches, just grill or toast more bread for tops. Family and I loved 'em as presented, open-face.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:43 am 

Just did a simple little thing with tofu the other day... Get your grill ready!

Start with a block of extra firm or super firm tofu, press the water out. *Place a paper towel on a plate, lay tofu on it, then put another plate on top. Then place something heavy on that and let that set for about 1 hour. This presses the excess water from the tofu and makes it easier to work with and ready to soak up flavours from sauces or whatever you're cooking with it.

Once you've pressed out the water, cut in half so you have a couple of short rectangles. Cut in half again, through the middle, so you have 4 thin slices.

Brush each slice with a somewhat thin honey mustard dressing, both sides.

Okay, if your cooking on a propane grill, just turn it to med. or med./high. If your using charcoal or wood, let the flames die down a bit so you don't burn the tofu.
A little bit more than 5 mins. on each side will get them well heated, a little longer than that will give you a light 'crust' on the outside.

The honey mustard dressing will give the tofu a sweet touch, and the grill does something nice that is different than a pan or skillet.

Now you can cube up the pieces and top a salad, or you can lay the slices on some bread as a sandwich with some cheese, arugula, baby kale, avocado or whatever you like... You can toss with some sauteed vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, all good!) Whatever you like! I just really liked the way the honey mustard did... a subtle sweetness that just worked.

Play around with it and enjoy 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:08 pm 

Corn and grilling! Yay!!!

Super easy...
Get some pretty ears of corn, peel back the husk just a little so you can get the silk-threads off.
Once you get the silk-threads removed from the top, pull the husk back over the corn. Soak the ears in clean water while you get your grill to temp. (Med/high on a propane grill...)

Once the grill is ready, place the corn just off the flame (between the burners for a propane grill) and let them go for a little more than 5 minutes. Yes, the husk will be charred. Don't worry, the corn is fine! Turn the ears over and go for another 5 minutes or so.

Use an oven mitt or glove to hold the corn as you peel off the husk and any remaining silk-threads.

Eat it plain, or add some salt, a little melted butter, or however you like your corn.

Grilled just adds something that I can't quite describe...
8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:48 am 

More tofu fun, LOL.
Stupid easy, and you can pair these up with anything, or just eat 'em up alone.

Press the excess water from a block of firm, extra firm or super firm tofu.
Once pressed, slice tofu into small "fries" or "fingers". You'll end up with quite a few if using the whole block. (**You can cut the block before pressing, store the unused portion in fresh water in a sealed container.**)

Anyway, once you've got your tofu "fingers", mix up 1-2 Tablespoons of Bragg's Liquid Aminos and the same amount of Apple Cider Vinegar (I use Bragg's, again). Sprinkle this over your tofu and let it kind of 'soak in' for a couple of minutes.

While the tofu is soaking up the yummy, heat some olive oil over med-med/high in a skillet. Using a spatula or similar, gently add the tofu to the hot oil. *It can spit and splatter, please don't just dump it in! Hot oil splats/burns are NOT fun!*

Now, just keep an eye on your tofu, turning after a few minutes, to get a light 'crust' on all sides. You're looking for a light golden-brown, here.

When all done, transfer to a paper towel, sprinkle with a teeny dash more of the Liquid Aminos, a little salt, or maybe some fine grated cheese (like Parmesan or Asiago... there are Veg.friendly ones available made with vegetable "rennet" or Fermentation-Produced Chymosin (FPC) )

Anyway... serve the tofu 'fries/fingers' along side a veggie burger, over a salad, or just have 'em as-is. They have a slight crunch on the outside, and a softer, not-quite-'chewy' thing going on inside... Super yummy, I think. A nice change of pace.
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:31 am 

Recently got a veggie 'spiralizer' (I really don't know what else to call it, LOL) It makes long spiral strands out of veggies like zucchini, cucumber or carrots. And I mean, LONG! Several feet... like almost 9 feet long! (Yes, we did a rough measure of zucchini strands, and they were that freakin' long!)

Just been finding it a fun way to change up salads from time to time... :lol:

It also has a blade for making thin chips, we may try making some potato chips (crisps) in the fryer, soon. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:45 am 

I love Food Network aand The Cooking Channel :mrgreen:
This is from "Farmhouse Rules", on Food Network

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nanc ... fries.html

Sweet Potato Steak Fries

3 pounds sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
Olive oil, for drizzling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
Paprika, for sprinkling
Garlic powder, for sprinkling
... ... ... --- --- --- ... ... ... --- --- --- ... ... ...

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a rimmed sheet pan with foil. Cut the ends off the potatoes, then cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut into thick wedges, keeping all of the fries evenly sized. Spread the fries on the lined sheet pan and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil, a big pinch of kosher salt and lots of freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle to taste with paprika and garlic powder and toss everything to evenly coat. Roast until brown and crispy on the bottoms, 10 to 15 minutes.

Flip all the fries, and return them to the oven to roast until they are brown and crispy, another 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving

Recipe courtesy of Nancy Fuller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:00 pm 

Something I haven't mentioned yet, (and I'm rather surprised at myself!), Supplements.
Iron, vitamin B-12, Zinc, Omega-3s...
These are things found in the typical diet that includes meat/poultry/fish. However, the vegetarian/vegan needs a bit of help getting the recommended amounts. Supplements are a great source, as are fortified foods (I love the fortified tofu that I get at the store... there are some with extra vitamin D, some with multiple B-vitamins, etc...)

Omega 3s can be hard, because most of the supplements are fish oil. And I don't want that. So I had to search for plant sources/vegetarian-friendly supplements. Walnuts and flaxseed are good for one type, ALA. Algae oil can be a good source for DHA.

I had already been taking an iron supplement, but I you can also get good iron from those deep greens like spinach. To help your body absorb iron better, eat some citrus/vitamin C rich foods at the same time as your iron. (Spinach and Strawberry salad, anyone? :wink: )

I take a B-12 supplement daily, as well as looking for fortified foods. B-12 is important for converting food to energy, as well as the healthy building of red blood cells.

Zinc. Easy to get enough if you're eating red meat or fish. But if you're not, a supplement may be needed. Zinc is good for the proper functioning of the nervous system, healthy immune system, and wound healing.

Okay, now I am NOT a doctor. I am NOT a nutritionist. I am NOT any kind of health care professional.
Before starting any kind of supplements, please talk to your health care provider/nutritionist. Let them know what medications you're on, what your current diet is, and ask them any questions you may have about getting the right amount for your body/age/lifestyle.

I just wanted to bring this up because sometimes, it's easy to forget about these things. Some people think that switching to a vegetarian diet is just cutting out the meat. But you do have to take into consideration that, when cutting out an entire food group, you are going to need to get certain vitamins, minerals, nutrients from another source.
It requires some label reading, some research (the internet is so helpful!), and thoughtful shopping.
Protein is not the main concern, that's easy to find. (Though that seems to be everyone's first question, "How are you getting your protein?" Man. I've heard that one a LOT! LOL)
What you need to look at is the other stuff that's typically found in meats. B-12, zinc, iron, and Omega 3s. And whatever else your health care provider may suggest.

Okay! Happy eating! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:33 am 

Helpful tips and things to keep in mind if you want to go veggie.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolynkylstra/that-veggie-life#.av75eOrNY

And some folks decided to try some vegan soul food.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/colinweatherby/these-people-went-on-a-vegan-soul-food-adventure#.fvlblrBnY

Do you have tips, helpful reminders, anything that should be kept in mind?
Do you know of any really cool/delicious vegan/vegetarian restaurants? Or that have really good veg options on the menu? (More than just the Garden Salad, LOL)

*Particularly looking for the restaurants... going on a long road trip next year, and could really use some help finding places to eat along the way!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:09 am 

Wow. Gonna be busy next week! Gotta do up some Pizza, Spaghetti, and Lasagna!
And with my husband doing up a ton of desserts, our kitchen is gonna be a mess! LOL...

I'll be posting the desserts soon. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:36 am 

http://www.cafesunflower.com/

While my friend is visiting, not only will I be cooking, but we're also going to go out a few nights.
Cafe Sunflower is a vegetarian restaurant that has been going for 21 years!
I've been once, several years ago, and I do remember that it was really good.
It looks like they've updated the menu, and I'm super excited to go!

If y'all are interested (or even if not, LOL!) I'll post a bit of a review.
Just because, LOL :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next