Login with a social network:

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:37 am 
Newcomer

Anyone ever tried one of these bowls which are trending right now, and has a good recipe?
I usually have loads of problems with eating enough of the course of one day and usually end up at about 1200 Calories, which is way to low. Im even taking this to support my appetite. But this bowls are great. I tested it first time a few weeks ago, and it was delicious and i had no problem eating it all.

Last edited by sweethead on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm 

Cook up some quinoa (1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender. Approximately 15-20 minutes)
Heat frozen veggies according to package directions.
Quinoa as your base, then the veggie mix, then lightly drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

To add some more awesome, you can toss some fresh spinach or arugula to the hot quinoa to wilt slightly, and some avocado slices over top.

Don't know if it's the "trendiest" of bowls, bit it is pretty darn tasty :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

It finally got nice and cold here, so it's time for chilli! Now, I have yet to blend my own spices, I am using a Mrs. Dash spice packet. I have also used Carol Shelby's, so good. And The Brown Bag, also quite tasty. But I never follow the directions exactly as on the package, coz my Dad never did. 8)

In a large pot heat 3 or 4 tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 onions, med/large dice, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 teaspoons miced ginger. Stir until onions just start to soften. Next, add in your favourite meatless crumble, for flavour and texture to mimic a meaty chilli. Heat crumbles through, and add spice blend of choice. Stir in 2 cans diced tomatoes (with juice), 1 can Original Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with green chilies. Adds a nice kick. :wink:
Let that simmer together for about 15 minutes, then add 1 or 2 cans of red kidney beans and 1 can black beans (both with liquid). Stir together. Let simmer for at least 30 minutes, taste. Add cayenne, garlic powder, chili powder, or any other yummy flavour that you might like. If using a kit that includes masa flour, add it now to thicken chilli.
Let simmer for another hour or two, stirring periodically.

Serve with shredded cheese, corn bread, sour cream, or whatever else you might love w/ your chilli. 8)
Leftovers save sooooooo well, just stash in the fridge. Keeps for ... about a week.

* Leftover chilli is a crazy-yummy addition to nachos, btw. Lay down some tortilla chips, spoon on some chilli, sprinkle some cheese over top. Serve with sour cream, sliced jalapeños, and vegetarian refried beans, if desired.

Wee note... some veggie crumble brands get a bit dry as you heat them. You may find you need a little more oil while cooking 'em up. If you notice they look dry, or if they're sticking too much to the bottom of the pot, just drizzle in a little bit more oil. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9