VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegetarian Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:35 pm 

Yup. Availability can be a big hurdle.
Where are you located? Are there any farmer's markets or Whole Foods stores you can get to? I know that doesn't always help, but sometimes you can find something new to play with.

It really is a shame that most schools don't offer a veggie option. I heard about one... I think in New York somewhere, where all the lunches are vegetarian! I would love to see... even if not an all veggie menu, at least have a veggie option available.

Have you added any stir-fry to the rotation? Very tasty, and pretty easy...
Pastas also play nice with veggies. Diced tomatoes, basil, some red or orange bell peppers, maybe some yellow crookneck squash or zucchini... some balsamic vinaigrette, olives and crumbled feta over top...
(**ooh, that sounds good.. I have to do that up again soon... LOL**)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am 

Since this thread is also for general chatter, I would just like to share with you the laugh we just had.

We were having supper and I told my 8-year old son that Steve didn't eat any meat.
His answer was : "What ? He is herbivore ?"

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:47 am 

Quokka wrote:
Since this thread is also for general chatter, I would just like to share with you the laugh we just had.

We were having supper and I told my 8-year old son that Steve didn't eat any meat.

I think that's one of the most adorable things I've ever heard! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:46 pm 

Finally did try the Panko Mushrooms, and fell in LOVE!

I advise a spoon to assist in the flour dredge and the egg wash, as the shape of the caps does not lend to neat and easy, in those steps (LOL!) I had room in the skillet to do two caps at a time, and I let them sit on a wire rack while I finished getting the buns ready.

Crispy, juicy, and delicious! This is going into the regular rotation 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:53 pm 

haha! It's funny, Steve has become a common topic at my dinner table too, it's usually me talking about a new jem, or tour, or something else, and usually has a reaction of "oh my god that's so stupid" or "the story of light? Really? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard" from my little brother or sister :)
Quokka wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 am 

kyle am I wrote:
haha! It's funny, Steve has become a common topic at my dinner table too, it's usually me talking about a new jem, or tour, or something else, and usually has a reaction of "oh my god that's so stupid" or "the story of light? Really? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard" from my little brother or sister :)

Ahh, but isn't that exactly what younger sibs are for? LOL. Any time I would visit one of my friends, that's all her little brother would do, just harass us about who and what we loved.
It's funny though, when you can catch them diggin' (in private) the very same thing they rip on you about! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:39 am 

Stumbled upon this interview... Image It made me all kinds of happy 8) Image Image

http://www.amys.com/lemonslice/famous/spotlight-on-steve-vai

Thought I'd share it here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 am 

One of my friends posted this on another board I'm on, and she said I could post it here.
...and as soon as I can get me an eggplant, I'm gonna try it!

1 t. minced garlic
1 med eggplant, peeled and cut into cubes
1 can light or regular coconut milk
1 t. veggie bullion (this is optional)
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into medallions (just cuz they are prettier that way)
1/2 large r 1 small yellow onion
2 cutting tomatoes or 12 cherry/grape tomatoes
1 potato cut into cubes
2 T red, yellow, or green curry powder OR masala powder
salt and pepper
(Snow peas and/or mushrooms would probably also be good in this, but I didn't have any on hand.)

Put 1-2 T of your favorite cooking oil in the pan. I saute the garlic, tomatoes, and onions until the onions are translucent. Then, add your veggies and toss them around til they are coated with oil. Salt and pepper them now, as well. I put a lid on them and sweat them all down on very low heat until they produce some of their own juices (15 minutes, I'd say). Add your curry powder, bullion, coconut milk, and more salt and pepper if you like. simmer low and slow for 25-30 minutes, stirring once every 10 minutes. When the potatoes are tender and the eggplant looks like a ripe banana, it is ready. Serve over rice, quinoa, rice noodles, or just eat as a soup.

I used green curry and it was the bomb.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 pm 

Mmmmmm, I am addicted to my own salad-wrap-things that I just started making. **I had a dream that I made these things, and when I woke up, the things sounded so good, that I decided I should try it. LOL... Soooo glad I did!**

Probably any large tortilla/wrap will work for this, I use the Mission Garden Spinach Wraps. Nice and big, and a pretty green colour! The first one I made was kind of over-stuffed (LOL), so the next night I made two. Much neater, that way.

You'll also want some of our favourite leafy green stuff (Lettuce, Spring mix, Arugula, Kale, Spinach, Romaine, you get the idea)
1 Hass Avocado (should 'give' a little when you press it. You don't want "mushy", but you don't want it too hard.)
Portobello Mushroom cap (the big kind, not the "Baby Bellas"), stem removed, gills cleaned
Tomato
Sour Cream
Bell Pepper (any colour, I like red or orange...)
Alfalfa or Bean Sprouts
Chia Seeds (yes, I put them on darn-near everything!)
And your favourite cheese (shredded, crumbled or otherwise small pieces...)
You could also put in some cucumber, Matchstick Carrots (or Carrot Ribbons, if you like)

Cut the avocado in half, get the pit out, and scoop one half of the yumminess into a bowl. (A squirt of lemon juice will keep the avocado a pretty green color, btw...)
Mash avocado in the bowl with a fork, and spread onto your wrapper(s).
Slice the other half into med/thin slices, we'll use them in a moment.

Get a handful of the leafy green stuff and lay it in the middle of the wrap

slice the portobello cap into strips and lay them over the greens. I can fit 3-4 strips neatly. (The rest goes into a brown paper bag, use 'em fairly soon. Also can survive in the fridge in a produce bag. Again, I suggest use them soon.)

Lay those avocado slices on, next

Slice the tomato, and lay that on next. I used about half of one medium size tomato. (If the tomato is really large, you can cut the slices in half so they fit better)

Bell pepper cut into strips, lay 'em on the tomato

Add some sprouts, some chia seeds, and a little sour cream (if you like), and a little cheese

Fold over one side of the wrap to cover all your salady goodness, fold up the bottom, so it doesn't fall out, then fold the other side over to finish it up!

and, of course, enjoy Image

*Obviously, you can tweak this to suit your personal tastes, this is the version I dreamed up and made.
I only wish I had thought of it earlier in the Summer! :roll:
But there we have it. Try it now, or file it away to try later. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:51 pm 

Mac & Cheese for supper tonight. After a week of very very little (2 bananas, 4 slices of toast and a lot of water.. for the past 5 days, idk why...), this is feeling kind of heavy, LOL. But I was getting light-headed, :shock: so I think I needed something more substantial. :lol: :roll:

My own fault, kind of. I hadn't really prepared for such limited intake... *oops* :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:23 pm 

Quick and easy toss together.

2 packets of Mahatma brand Long Grain and Wild Rice
1 med. orange bell pepper (small bite size)
1 small yellow onion (small bite size to large dice)
3/4 (+-) cup frozen corn

Cook rice according to package directions.
Mid way through rice cooking, heat a little butter (kind of high heat) in a skillet. Add onion and caramelize. Turn skillet down to med. heat, add frozen corn, stir to break any clumps apart. cook a couple of minutes. Add bell pepper, cook another minute.

Add veg to the rice when it's done and stir together.
Serve and enjoy!

....even my family liked this one, and they tend to want meat in their meal, LOL :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:03 am 

Can't forget desserts!
http://nomnomnomblog.com/2011/07/08/mrs-weasleys-easy-as-magic-fudge/
Oh. My. Gods!!! Sweet, delicious, and stupid-easy to make. *and I had never made fudge before, LOL*

Mrs. Weasley’s Mag­i­cally Easy Fudge

Because we are addicts, I added a bit of peanut but­ter to this batch, but you can add nuts or just go au naturel. I make this fudge in a lit­tle 6x8 pan and the pieces aren’t super thick. If you use a big­ger pan or want thick fudge, I sug­gest mak­ing at least 1 1/2 batches or 2. Darn, don’t you just hate hav­ing more fudge?!

1 cup organic sugar (I use raw sugar for a deeper fla­vor)
1/4 cup milk of choice
5 tbsp. mar­garine
1 cup choco­late chips
1/2 teas. vanilla
optional: 2 tbsp. peanut but­ter
optional: sea salt

Line a small pan (see notes in recipe intro) with parch­ment or foil. In a saucepan over medium heat, com­bine the sugar, milk and mar­garine. Whisk­ing con­stantly, bring to a boil. Lower heat to a sim­mer and cook until the sugar is dis­solved com­pletely. Remove from heat and whisk in the choco­late chips and vanilla until smooth. Spread into pre­pared pan. If using peanut but­ter, scat­ter blobs of it around the pan and swirl with a but­ter knife. Sprin­kle salt on top.

Let fudge set in fridge for at least an hour before cut­ting. Because this fudge must stay refrig­er­ated, I do not rec­om­mend send­ing by owl.

***notes from me***
I used butter instead of margarine, coz margarine is evil and will never be in my kitchen :wink:
unless you're allergic, I highly recommend the peanut butter (almond butter could work there, to...) and honestly, a bit more could only do yummy good things, LOL. The chocolate and super-sweetness is tamed some with the peanut butter.
I did it in an 8x8 (coz I haven't got a 6x8)
I cut the fudge into 16 pieces, and that seemed just right. Two pieces of that stuff is rich, sweet and satisfying. perfect little treat after dinner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:51 pm 

Best Mushroom Stew EVER!!! Seriously kick-@ss!

Dice 2-3 medium sweet onions. on med-high heat, saute in olive oil with 2 cloves minced garlic 'til just caramelized. You can already tell this is gonna be awesome, can't ya? LOL
OK, next, add 8- 12 oz mushrooms. I had 8 oz of baby portabellas and 4 oz of mixed (shitake, oyster, baby portabella, and something else...). They play so nice with the onions and garlic :D
Okay, so after you've got the mushrooms heated up, add a couple tablespoons of all purpose flour. This will be the thickening for you stew.
Also stir in one envelope of onion soup mix (I used Lipton's Kosher onion soup mix) This adds a nice component of yum
Now, 3 1/2 - 4 cups of your favourite vegetable stock and 1/2-3/4 cup of red wine (I used a Merlot. Caution, the fumes will hit you in the face, you will get momentarily drunk, LOL)

Add in (to taste) basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, paprika, and a slight splash of low sodium soy sauce
Cover, reduce heat to med-low, and let simmer for about an hour.

scrub or peel, and cube 6 or 7 potatoes, add to the pot. Let cook on med heat 'til fork tender (You just have to check 'em. Some times it's 45 mins., some times it's an hour)
Scrub or peel, and cut into bite size pieces 3 med/large carrots. Add and let cook to desired tenderness. I like 'em firm, so I only go for 20-30 mins...

Prepare for epic deliciousness... :mrgreen:
and enjoy :D

*leftovers refrigerate very nicely. If it gets too thick in the fridge, add some water when you next re-heat a portion*

Image I came up with this while contemplating beef stew weather. My beloved omnivores want their beef stew, and I wanted a veg alternative.
My husband tried to steal a bowl of this for himself!
I am gonna put this in heavy fall/winter rotation 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:35 am 
Newcomer

If you are looking for some egg substitutes, try adding bananas when making dough or batter, they kinda glue stuff together just like eggs do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:29 am 

Thanks! That will come in helpful, especially for sweet things 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next